Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
no one is "fine w/ a "newbie" coming in and taking their job, but the fact of the matter is that it happens all the time. look at what happened w/ Circuit City. in retail, the first people to go in tough times are people making too much in salary and benefits and those still on probation. when you're a cashier, for example, a guy whose been on the job for 1 years can do the job just as well as someone doing it for 15. IMO, same goes for bus drivers and train operators
Ok... Circuit City made cuts and what happen to them? So those cost saving cuts didn't save the company bad business plan. Now can we blame management in the failing of Circuit City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Ok... Circuit City made cuts and what happen to them? So those cost saving cuts didn't save the company bad business plan. Now can we blame management in the failing of Circuit City.
I just used that as a well known example. they weren't the only, first, or last company to do so

Old 02-07-2010, 02:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I understand what you guys/gals are saying. You guys/gals isn't seeing the big picture. When a company or city begins to have budget problems, the union employees are always the blame. If you want to start making cuts, lets start with management first. I guess some of you want Walmart practices to apply to every job in America.
Not every job, just the jobs that any Wal-Mart employee could do.

You want to know why people blame unions? Because they're inflexible, by design. That's tolerable when the good times roll, but not so much when times get lean. While the rest of the workforce are taking pay and benefit cuts to try to keep themselves and their employers afloat through these difficult times, the CTA union has told us that they're not only unwilling to make the same sacrifices that the private-sector workforce has already endured, but that they're going to make rest of our lives even more difficult in the process. So you better believe they're the target of our enmity -- they've earned it.

As for "let's start with management first," non-union CTA employees have already taken pay freezes and furlough days, and many management positions have effectively been cut through attrition. You wanted them to lead by example? There you have it. So now it's time for the union to follow the example you wanted them to set.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:17 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not every job, just the jobs that any Wal-Mart employee could do.

You want to know why people blame unions? Because they're inflexible, by design. That's tolerable when the good times roll, but not so much when times get lean. While the rest of the workforce are taking pay and benefit cuts to try to keep themselves and their employers afloat through these difficult times, the CTA union has told us that they're not only unwilling to make the same sacrifices that the private-sector workforce has already endured, but that they're going to make rest of our lives even more difficult in the process. So you better believe they're the target of our enmity -- they've earned it.

As for "let's start with management first," non-union CTA employees have already taken pay freezes and furlough days, and many management positions have effectively been cut through attrition. You wanted them to lead by example? There you have it. So now it's time for the union to follow the example you wanted them to set.
Yes the union should take the 10 furlough days and go without the 3.5% raise to save the jobs. The CTA management should also agree to cut from the bottom up if the concession isn't enough. Both sides are wrong.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:23 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Yes the union should take the 10 furlough days and go without the 3.5% raise to save the jobs. The CTA management should also agree to cut from the bottom up if the concession isn't enough. Both sides are wrong.
To quote Ms. Thatcher, you can't buck the market forever.

You will pay for this inability to make concessions. It's only a matter of time until enough people become pissed off enough that they simply let you walk off the job. Or vote right to work.

Because anyone can do you job, anyone eventually will

Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM

188 posts, read 605,748 times
When I got on the bus this morning, it was completely full -- only standing room in the very front near the bus driver. This was at 7:45 in the morning.

Oh dear.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 AM

170 posts, read 536,090 times
I definitely noticed it. I got a seat on the red line because I get on up at Granville, but still, getting on the platform between 7:15 and 7:20 (I think) was a different experience than it has been in the past. It was very, very crowded. I think people were standing by the time we hit Berwyn or Argyle.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
20+ minute waits for the Damen bus during rush hour.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
No problems taking Wenworth 24 and brown line, just a little more people than usual but same overall.

I obviously check bustracker before walking to the bus stop to see when it is coming.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
No problems taking the Irving Park local to the Brown Line stop, or on the Brown Line train either, on my 8:15 to 9:00 commute. Frankly I don't miss the Irving Park Express that much; the most I reckoned it ever saved me versus a local bus was maybe 3 minutes. That goes for any other express bus I took (Ashland, Western) -- they seemed like a good idea that didn't really have the intended effect. I wouldn't be shocked if we never saw those again even if a deal is reached and most other services are restored.

I was concerned that taking away the express buses would diminish notably impact the frequency of coverage, but when I checked the Bus Tracker, the frequency of arrivals at my nearest stop seemed quite adequate. So far then, I haven't really felt the pinch. But I wouldn't doubt if they concentrated the cuts where and when they would have the most impact to gin up as much public outrage as possible without completely bogging down the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago