Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times

Advertisements

So Chicagoans, if the current financial meltdown truly becomes a Great Depression with mass unemployment and homelessness, what will you do if you become homeless in Chicago? Any ideas for new Hoover Town (or, um Bush Town) locations? Do you have a special overpass picked out for good nighttime camping?

Since RVs are currently about $100, I might buy one and park it illegally. The city would then tow it to Lower Lower Wacker, and I would live there in my impounded RV without a mortgage or rent. What could they do? They would have already towed my vehicle, after all.

Or perhaps I'll order a book on edible plants from Amazon. And I'll start watching Man vs. Wild religiously so I'm prepared for the harsh natural landscape of northern Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,626 times
I already live under the Kennedy underpass at Damen, so I'm good.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:07 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
I'll hit up the homeless guy who works the 90 exit off ramp at North Ave and hopefully he takes me under his wing. He was wearing a brand new pair of Nike Air Force One sneakers so he must be doing alright.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
I think I'll break into one of the many empty foreclosed houses and live there until I'm kicked out.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
In seriousness though, have you guys been following the controversy regarding Cook County Sheriff Dart's decision to no longer act on eviction notices without recieving diligence from the mortgage companies proving the home isn't renter-occupied first?

Suit: Sheriff must obey eviction orders :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1213292,CST-NWS-evict10.article - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Even if my wife and I are both out of work we have enough money saved up to scape by for about 2 years (as of today our we've lost about 1.5-2% in value from a year ago). Since the Cook County Sheriff has announced he won't be evicting anyone anymore, I'm pretty sure we could stay in our house even after the cash ran out.

We'd be in pretty good shape as long as we still have our house. I have a vegetable garden that would cover about half our food needs (produces through early January using cold frames), and if it came down to it I wouldn't have a problem with eating random varmits. I have plenty of hops growing in the front yard and a couple yeast cultures in the fridge so I just need to grow some barely to keep myself in beer. We have a wood stove that will heat our house, 2 rain barrels for collecting rain water (thanks City of Chicago!), and I even have a propane blacksmith's forge and anvil! If the sh*t really hits the fan tho' I'll be heading for a friends farm in Indiana, I think our Y2K rations are still good

Otherwise I'll change my name to Frog-eatin' Lou and start riding the rails.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:07 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
So Chicagoans, if the current financial meltdown truly becomes a Great Depression with mass unemployment and homelessness, what will you do if you become homeless in Chicago? Any ideas for new Hoover Town (or, um Bush Town) locations? Do you have a special overpass picked out for good nighttime camping?

Since RVs are currently about $100, I might buy one and park it illegally. The city would then tow it to Lower Lower Wacker, and I would live there in my impounded RV without a mortgage or rent. What could they do? They would have already towed my vehicle, after all.

Or perhaps I'll order a book on edible plants from Amazon. And I'll start watching Man vs. Wild religiously so I'm prepared for the harsh natural landscape of northern Illinois.

Maybe I'll join Harold on Cicero and I-55 washing windshields. That guy has been out there religously everyday for as long as i remember, so apparently business is good.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I think I'll break into one of the many empty foreclosed houses and live there until I'm kicked out.
Im surprised more homeless people dont do this. there are abandoned houses and buildings all over.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Im surprised more homeless people dont do this. there are abandoned houses and buildings all over.
They do, it is a big problem in the winter when many of them start fires to stay warm and burn places down. It's not just foreclosed places either, some new unfinished new construction buildings have the same thing happen.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
In seriousness though, have you guys been following the controversy regarding Cook County Sheriff Dart's decision to no longer act on eviction notices without recieving diligence from the mortgage companies proving the home isn't renter-occupied first?

Suit: Sheriff must obey eviction orders :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Politics (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1213292,CST-NWS-evict10.article - broken link)
This is really interesting.

Oh, and as for the homeless thing, I'd probably just crash on Daley's couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: