Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM

49 posts, read 137,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I call that area "Little Saigon."

If you are looking for Pho (traditional rice noodle dish) check out Pho Hoa in Uptown. I've been enjoying the food there for years and the pho is always consistently good.

4925 N. Broadway
(773) 784-8723
Pho Hoa's food contains tons of MSG in the soup. First test of the it and one would need to take a sip of water to wash off the dry mouth. Great Pho's soup uses many variety of meat and bones to cook for a long time to get the juicy taste in the end. When a restaurant uses MSG, they are cutting the corner to get a generic taste to the real thing.
I ave yet to find a real authentic Pho's dish (or Vietnamese food for that matter) in Chicago except in Westminster, CA.
We are all experiencing Vietnamese's authentic-LIKE food in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Default Best Pho in Chicago?

OK, I did a search and found this thread... two recommendations here for good Pho... Pho Hoa on Broadway and Pho 777 on Argyle. Anyone have any other recommendations for best Pho?

I have an acquaintance (he's part Asian) who's here from Dallas this week on business, and we're getting together for dinner two or three evenings from now. I've never had Pho before and he wants to take me out for that as he's experienced with it, and will show me how to eat it right, but of course he's never had it here and I don't want to take him someplace where he'll be unimpressed... where the Pho is just "meh". So if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go, I'm all ears. Otherwise we'll probably just go to Pho 777 and I'll hope for the best.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
My wife likes Tank Noodle on the corner of Broadway and Argyle...
That is my recommendation. Great noodles, great prices.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
OK, I did a search and found this thread... two recommendations here for good Pho... Pho Hoa on Broadway and Pho 777 on Argyle. Anyone have any other recommendations for best Pho?

I have an acquaintance (he's part Asian) who's here from Dallas this week on business, and we're getting together for dinner two or three evenings from now. I've never had Pho before and he wants to take me out for that as he's experienced with it, and will show me how to eat it right, but of course he's never had it here and I don't want to take him someplace where he'll be unimpressed... where the Pho is just "meh". So if anyone has any suggestions as to where to go, I'm all ears. Otherwise we'll probably just go to Pho 777 and I'll hope for the best.

Thanks in advance.

Check out LTH forum as earlier posters have recommended. There are a ton of very knowledgeable people on there and Asian food is big on that forum.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I definitely second Tank Noodle. Cafe Lao, Cafe Hoang, Dong Thanh, and Pho 777 are very good as well. Is there a certain type or style of Pho your friend is looking for?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I definitely second Tank Noodle. Cafe Lao, Cafe Hoang, Dong Thanh, and Pho 777 are very good as well. Is there a certain type or style of Pho your friend is looking for?
You know, I'm not really sure. He's really doing this for me, because I've never had Pho and he wants me to try it. All I know is what he said to put into it -- basil leaves and mint leaves and a couple kinds of hot sauce.

People are saying Tank Noodle, and when I went onto another site (I think it was yelp, don't remember for sure) they were rating Tank Noodle best Pho as well. So we'll probably go there. But maybe not... latest message I had from him indicated we might do something else for dinner instead. But thanks for the recommendations just the same.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM

49 posts, read 137,976 times
If you are looking decent and consistent taste then Tank Noodle and Pho 777 are my choices. Over the years, Vietnamese-Americans have moved out to the suburbs of Chicago and this have contributed to the lack of competitions of Vietnamese cuisine on Argyle streets.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:56 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
Of the Argyle locations, Pho 888 has the best seasoned broth right now and a great version of bun bo hue, Tank has the best quality meats, especially soft tendon and tripe and pretty nice broth as well. Pho 777 isn't a bad rec either. I find the broth at Pho Lilly too sweet/sour and not rich enough.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

To those who replied to my post of several days ago, thanks for your suggestions. As it turned out, my friend from Dallas and I didn't go for Pho when we got together last Thursday evening, we wound up going out for stuffed pizza instead (I wanted to offer him a food experience he can't readily get in his own city, and he agreed).

But I will keep these recommendations in mind when I try Pho on my own. Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Went to Tank Noodle recently, forgot how good the place is! I've never been to Vietnam to know how authentic it is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago