Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times

Advertisements

So

I am moving back to Chicago, but, I could go for a new change of scenery in neighborhoods. I see all the posts on here, but figure I would post just to see if there are other areas I might not have thought of with my requirements.

Here is my situation.

Finally moving back in September after the summer.

It is going to be me and my girlfriend.

No car, so walking to things like decent grocery store is a plus, also must be close to a CTA line.

I will hopefully be taking night classes in Gold Coast at Northwestern downtown campus.

I also need to be in downtown to meet up with colleagues/clients from time to time, possibly daily for IT consulting gigs.

So pretty much in the loop every day as late as 9pm.

I've lived in West Loop, Printers Row and Rogers Park. To me Rogers Park is a bit *too* far away from everything with longer commute times so that is too far north to give an idea.

We will have a dog (boxer.) And would like to be by some open areas friendly to dogs, lake areas work. I will be 30 in November and not much of a fan of the "collegey" stuff but still like to go out pretty regularly to dive bars or a few drinks after work, my gf is in early 20s and brand new to the city, and city living in general. So hopefully not super sketchy. No kids.

a 1br, maybe 2br would be cool...

Strategically what do you think my best options would be? Trying to find a good balance between price, public transportation, time and space. Our budget is 1k b/c I am footing most of the bill, but doesn't have to be a posh place. Location is more important.

We generally like to shop at Trader Joes or Whole Foods possibly Treasure Island or a neighborhood market with good produce, my gf is on a strict dr.s order diet so needs access to healthy fresh food, no processed stuff. So picture carrying bags of groceries in middle of January... I want it to be convenient.

I have differing thoughts of living closer in with more amenities in one of those all inclusive places, but then being in more douchey neighborhoods with less space and can walk to work/class if weather is nice, or further out with neighborhoods with more character and more space. Ahh, decisions decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times
Lincoln Square. North Center. Ravenswood.

End of Story.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lincoln Square. North Center. Ravenswood.

End of Story.
North Center area is my #1 candidate right now and a friend of mine suggested that as well, that or southport/roscoe village...which I think they are a part of or at least close to. I have also considered ukrainian village/buck town but they seem to be a little spread out and farther walks to places, harder to get into downtown and back into north side neighborhoods so those are the downsides I see there. I don't have that much experience in either besides going to a restaurant or bar that happens to be there.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
North Center area is my #1 candidate right now and a friend of mine suggested that as well, that or southport/roscoe village...
I would not really recommend the southport corridor (which is in Lake View) or the western part of Roscoe Village (part of the North Center "community area".)

I would try to stick to as close to Lincoln and the Brown Line as possible if you do choose those areas though.

There is a Trader Joe's on Lincoln (and it is expanding soon.) Wherever you chose make sure you are within striking distance of it by bus. (Lincoln,Addison,or Irving Park)

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
There is a Trader Joe's on Lincoln (and it is expanding soon.) Wherever you chose make sure you are within striking distance of it by bus. (Lincoln,Addison,or Irving Park)
There's also a Whole Foods near the Paulina Brown line stop at Ashland and School (one block north of Belmont).

Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I would not really recommend the southport corridor (which is in Lake View) or the western part of Roscoe Village (part of the North Center "community area".)

I would try to stick to as close to Lincoln and the Brown Line as possible if you do choose those areas though.

Is there anything particularly bad about these areas? sketchy? Or just a bit too far from amenities, transportation etc.?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
There's also a Whole Foods near the Paulina Brown line stop at Ashland and School (one block north of Belmont).
Yes. I forgot about that.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Is there anything particularly bad about these areas? sketchy? Or just a bit too far from amenities, transportation etc.?
Not really anythong too bad. But in the southern part of Roscoe Village you are a bit close to Lathrop Homes.

It all depends on how much walking and train/bus riding you are wiliing to do to shop and stuff.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,216,423 times
Based on your tastes, commute requirements, and price point I would have to agree with Avengerfire's advice. Look around the Paulina, Addison, and Irving Park stops on the Brown line. I think being close to the Lincoln/Damen/Irving intersection puts you in a good area for amenities. Very cool neighborhoods around there that are safe without being super trendy or full of D-bags. There are plenty of cool bars and shops up that way without the fresh out of college types you find in Lakeview or Lincoln Park. That might actually be my favorite area in the city, but I don't live up there because I like being a little closer to downtown.

You would also probably like Bucktown/Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village, but I think you are right about the convenience factor given your needs (sucks getting up to the north lakefront neighborhoods from there but is quick to downtown).

If you wanted to live close to downtown and be centrally located I think you may be able to find a place for around $1200/month that includes utilities. If you go that route your best bet would probably be to get a realtor and have them show you a bunch of condo units for rent. I know there is a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and regular grocery stores in River North. This route seems by far the most convenient given your situation. I understand your apprehension about the vibe down there, but it's easy to get out to the more interesting neighborhoods given that you would be in the center of all the transit lines coming into downtown.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 05-19-2010 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 PM

97 posts, read 255,460 times
Noooooooe, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago