Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I have been waiting years to say this, "Don't blame me, I voted for Topinka"
I too voted for Topinka in one of my rare revolts against Illinois Democrats. Usually I save my protest votes for the lower level offices, but I had a bad feeling about Blago--and really couldn't stand him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,029 times
His wife was a one time real estate darling in Chicago, earning more than 700k in commissions, but since Rezko's case, business has dried up for her. She then came up with the idea of selling a senate seat with the governor to shore up their finances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I just found out yesterday that he lives in Ravenswood Manor. I thought he lived downstate! Silly me!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Please don't take this as though I am defending Blago, the guy should go to Joliet just because of his horrible hairdoo......but nothing that has come to light so far that we know shows any crime really, the fact that he was talking his mouth off about how valuable the seat was, and he wasn't going to give it to anyone without anything in return is iffy at the best. I don't think that can stick in court. They need him on tape soliciting payments from the specific candidates to really stick. Now the Trib story is another thing, I think they have a strong case against him there.

I still don't think this is a slam dunk case. And for all of you that are shocked about this, get a grip you live in Chicago, state of Illinois. Enough said.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
And for all of you that are shocked about this, get a grip you live in Chicago, state of Illinois. Enough said.
I think people are more shocked that Blago was talking this way KNOWING THE FEDS WERE ON HIS CASE. Beyond any criminal wrongdoing, it shows incredible arrogance and stupidity.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM

223 posts, read 757,716 times
Default Senate Candidate $#5 is Jesse Jackson Jr!

This just in!

ABC News: Sources Say Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Is 'Senate Candidate No. 5'

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/us...11jackson.html

Quote:
Chicago Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., is the anonymous "Senate Candidate No. 5" whose emissaries Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich reportedly offered up to $1 million to name him to the U.S. Senate, federal law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think people are more shocked that Blago was talking this way KNOWING THE FEDS WERE ON HIS CASE. Beyond any criminal wrongdoing, it shows incredible arrogance and stupidity.
Again from what we know, except from bragging and acting like an a** I still haven't heard anything that is a slam dunk evidence. Maybe there is, we just don't know about it. Is there an actual tape of the conversation between Blagojevic and let's say Jackson Jr. that confirms Blago bragging that Candidate 5 has promised a $1M payment in return for the Senate appointment?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Again from what we know, except from bragging and acting like an a** I still haven't heard anything that is a slam dunk evidence. Maybe there is, we just don't know about it. Is there an actual tape of the conversation between Blagojevic and let's say Jackson Jr. that confirms Blago bragging that Candidate 5 has promised a $1M payment in return for the Senate appointment?
Good question. It's hard to know what evidence they have, but hopefully they know what they are doing. Even if Blago avoids conviction, he is forever tainted and should step down.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM

BTW Lookoutkid how is my old neighborhood? I used to live on Argyle, between Clark and Broadway, mid 90s when it was known as Vietnamese Village. Borders looks horrible in place of Goldblats.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
From what I understand from the transcripts, the case against Blago revolves around him thinking out loud on what he was planning to do to personally gain in exchange for Obama's senate replacement. It's unclear to me whether he actually received any money or other benefit for something which he still has to do. The mention of Jesse Jackson Jr. is also more of hearsay from Blago than an actually taped conversation between him and the congressman. So, in effect, it is Blago unknowingly talking to a hidden microphone saying "Boy, that Jesse Jackson Jr. wants me to appoint him senator in exchange for $1 million". The case would have been stronger if the hidden microphone actually caught Blago and Jackson - in their own voices - making the deal.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
I heard a guy who used to work in the fed prosecutor's office say on WGN and Channel 7 that taped conversations are like "manna from heaven" for prosecutor's case. I read on Yahoo that the Republican whip in US Congress is trying to link Obama through simple association
Quote:
."The serious nature of the crimes listed by federal prosecutors raises questions about the interaction with Gov. Blagojevich, President-elect Obama and other high ranking officials who will be working for the future president," said Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia, the new GOP House whip
I wish I could use the "whip" a little on this guy and give him a spanking. Punish him for going the partisan politics route. Im a Republican, but if they jerk around with the innuendo, partisan politics I will vote outside the party more and more. The election is over. Let Rush Limbaugh do this stuff and get busy governing, getting things done for us, your customers/constituents instead of this tired old cr#*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago