Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 19,351 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This forum has been a great source of info for me as I prepare to move to the city to begin my career. I have a quick question for you all. Being from downstate Illinois I own and easily get around in a F150 truck. My fear is I might have to part with my truck that I love so much as it might be impractical for the city. Do you think I should pretty much just give up and not even think about bringing the truck and downsize or do you think driving it could be done?

Thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM

838 posts, read 3,097,917 times
def can be done

Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,933 times
that traffic ordinance 0-072-020-
the unposted rule relating to the prohibition of commercial vehicles on any boulevard...
so the answer is NO
even if people do it they really are not supposed to

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Get rid of it. Here's why:

1. Impossible to park on the street much of the time. Smaller cars are easier.

2. Your city sticker will cost more.

3. You're not allowed to drive pick-ups on Lakeshore Drive or any street that's part of the city's Boulevard System (most streets called "boulevards" or "parkways". My friend has a pick-up as a second car, and has been ticketed twice for this.

4. Did I mention parking? Not only are street spaces that large harder to find, downtown parking garages are often designed with tighter parameters and many parking lots are tight. You'll **** off a lot of people with that truck.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Well..

Well it is not really a commercial vehicle. Essentially, its nothing more than a family SUV ( no construction decals e.t.c.). But I don't really want to debate that ordinance as I am a bit familiar with it. My concern and focus is the size and the ability to get around meaning parking or whatever. So if I said Ford Explorer or H2 Hummer would that change your response?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Thanks Lookout kid,

Thats more what I was thinking. Even if it can be done as lincolnparker put it, my fear is that it would surely be more of a hassle than just trading down to something more appropriate. But I love my truck.....

Old 09-26-2008, 12:18 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedstar21 View Post
Well it is not really a commercial vehicle. Essentially, its nothing more than a family SUV ( no construction decals e.t.c.). But I don't really want to debate that ordinance as I am a bit familiar with it. My concern and focus is the size and the ability to get around meaning parking or whatever. So if I said Ford Explorer or H2 Hummer would that change your response?

My advice is the same as Lookout's and I can say it would be exactly the same if we were talking an SUV, minus the boulevard issue. It'd still be a beast to park and gas is heinously expensive here. As I said in another thread -- if you love your car, any car, don't bring it here. Bad things are bound to happen to it. You're better off with a dependable late 90s sedan of some sort.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
My car is a 2007 and it lives indoors. We park it in a high-rise parking garage at home, and my wife parks it in her building downtown. And it STILL has scrapes and nicks on the bumper from the occasional street parking. We don't even bother to get it fixed because we know it will happen again.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM

968 posts, read 2,667,218 times
Plus ( based on the experience of co-workers who occasionally drive their pickups in from the burbs) ...anything of value in or under the bed will grow legs and disappear . Undermount spare tires semmingly vanish into thin air in broad daylight , and for some reason, rectangular metallic boxes open at the top are always identified as dumpsters or leaf and snow receptacles ...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:57 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Unless you haul stuff often it's really stupid to drive and own an F150 gas guzzler. People should not use such vehicle for daily transportation. Just get yourself a fuel efficient Civic or a Dodge Grand Caravan to haul stuff - what I own too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago