Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 60,218 times

Advertisements

We're debating whether to live in La Grange or a northern section of Chicago. On google maps, I can see how far each is from CHicago BUT that doesn't take into account traffic or public transportation.

La Grange has an express train into the Loop in 17 minutes I think. Andersonville, from what I've heard is 30-40 minutes by train into the city.

How about driving from each of these places into Chicago? Better drive/commute from La Grange or Andersonville. Note: We wouldn't be commuting at normal commuting times.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmc View Post
We're debating whether to live in La Grange or a northern section of Chicago. On google maps, I can see how far each is from CHicago BUT that doesn't take into account traffic or public transportation.

La Grange has an express train into the Loop in 17 minutes I think. Andersonville, from what I've heard is 30-40 minutes by train into the city.

How about driving from each of these places into Chicago? Better drive/commute from La Grange or Andersonville. Note: We wouldn't be commuting at normal commuting times.

Thanks!
LaGrange will offer a shorter and less stressful commute on either the train or by car than Andersonville. To get to the Loop from Andersonville, you have to tredge over to LSD on Foster or Bryn Mawr, take LSD south into downtown, and then push your way back west into the Loop. That takes forever during the peak commute times. And have fun getting home if there's a night Cubs' game. From LaGrange, it's LaGrange Rd. to the Eisenhower straight in, which is mostly pretty good except around Harlem and Austin, where it gets a little slow.

Public transit in Andersonville is the Red Line which is very time consuming that far north. And, nothing against the L, but you're packed in like a sardine during rush hour until everyone finally empties out at Belmont and Fullerton. Cubs' game? May the Lord have mercy on your soul. The trip home from LaGrange is nice relaxing 25-30 minutes on a soft seat with the newspaper and a tall Fosters

This is why I live in Berwyn and don't miss the north side!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Something else to consider is that a) there are a lot of "slow zones" along the northern portion of the Red Line that have stretched commute times into downtown from the Andersonville area to an hour or so; and b) it's about to get even worse. A portion of the Red Line runs on a four-track platform that's going to be reduced to three tracks for two years, starting in the next 2 to 4 weeks. It's gonna make a 17-minute express ride from LaGrange seem like using a Star Trek transporter.

I don't know about LaGrange, but drive time from Andersonville to downtown during clear roads/off-peak times is about 15 minutes via Lake Shore Drive: About 5 minutes getting to LSD itself and another 10 once you get on LSD.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 60,218 times
Thanks so much for the replies. That is exactly the info I was looking for! Sounds like La Grange is almost the PERFECT place for us! We have heard NOTHING but good things about it....we have a little 15 month old and heard the schools are great too.
Suzanne

Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Schools adds an entirely different dimension to the equation. Unless you've got the scratch to go private, you want to avoid Chicago schools like they're the Devil, because in large part they are.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmc View Post
...On google maps, I can see how far each is from CHicago...La Grange has an express train into the Loop in 17 minutes I think. Andersonville, from what I've heard is 30-40 minutes by train into the city.

How about driving from each of these places into Chicago?...
I love how nobody told this person Andersonville is in the city.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I think a lot of this advice is way off. I'd take Lake Shore Drive over ANY of the expressways any day. It's never that bad on Lake Shore Drive. It typically takes about fifteen minutes for me to get from Irving Park Road to the top of Michigan Avenue. Andersonville is only a little bit further north. And you can always catch the 147 express bus in eastern Edgewater if you don't want to deal with the "L" slow zones.

La Grange is between the Stevenson and the Ike, and both can be terrible during rush periods. But it's a quick hop on to LSD from Andersonville, and this commute is CLEARLY easier by a long shot.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think we just have another person misusing the term "city". It happens so frequently we just ignore it. I assume the OP knows that Andersonville is part of Chicago.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Why do you keep bringing back these old posts just to insert some irrelevant comment?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago