Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 PM

26 posts, read 98,175 times

Advertisements

I have searched the forum several times and there is not much of a discussion about Albany Park ever. I'm not sure if that should make me nervous or not.

The hubby and I have a limit of $200k, 2 bed, must accept cats/dogs, and have a washer/dryer in unit. Our search on the North side has produced a lot of places in Albany Park.

We are seriously considering putting in an offer at N Albany and W Irving Park.

My only reservations about this place is I'm not very familiar with the area and the L is a bit further than I'd prefer, but the bus seemed quick when we tried it out.

Is this place in fact Albany Park and does anyone have an opinion about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
That is Albany Park (if it is north or on the north side of Irving Park Road) right near the border (Irving Park Road) to the Irving Park neighborhood. If the condo is on Irving Park you sit right on the border.That part of Albany Park is MUCH MUCH better than most others in Albany Park in terms of crime.

I lived like 2 blocks south of there in Irving Park for two years. I would not have a problem personally with buying a condo near there. That area in Albany Park is getting better.

As far as access to a train that goes downtown-forget going to the Blue Line. Just take the Irving Park bus east to the Brown Line.

Check some of the threads on Irving Park. You will be in Irving Park just as much if not way more than Albany Park living at Albany and Irving Park.

Drover still lives in Irving Park he will help too with this.
================================================== ===============

Is this place new construction or a rehab conversion?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-27-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
I thought montrose was the border of Albany Park?

Nevermind I looked it up.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM

26 posts, read 98,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Is this place new construction or a rehab conversion?
It's a rehab conversion

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakf1 View Post
It's a rehab conversion
You have to be REALLY careful with those. Many times all they will do is put in central heat and air (which the bills for get very expensive for-ESPECIALLY THE HEAT-forced air heat is very inefficient-radiator heat is the BEST),new windows,refinish the floors, "maybe" add new appliances,a new doorbell system and paint it. They usually will not replace old electrical wiring,plumbing,etc...They will leave in the old walls...

A gut rehab conversion is more often than not the way to go.

I will DM you a program that may help you.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Albany Park includes the VERY nice Ravenswood Manor neighborhood and the mostly nice Mayfair neighborhood. But you do have to pay attention to what block you're on. In the heart of Albany Park, I'm more comfortalbe east of Kedzie.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM

179 posts, read 480,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That is Albany Park (if it is north or on the north side of Irving Park Road) right near the border (Irving Park Road) to the Irving Park neighborhood. If the condo is on Irving Park you sit right on the border.That part of Albany Park is MUCH MUCH better than most others in Albany Park in terms of crime.
Do you think Albany Park is that bad regarding crime at all? Ok, it has Blago, but it has pretty decent areas like Ravenswood manor and I'ver never felt unsafe at the "Seoul drive" part of Lawrence either. Also the surrounding neighborhoods are quite safe too as far as I know.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Do you think Albany Park is that bad regarding crime at all? Ok, it has Blago, but it has pretty decent areas like Ravenswood manor and I'ver never felt unsafe at the "Seoul drive" part of Lawrence either. Also the surrounding neighborhoods are quite safe too as far as I know.
It's safe. There's always people out.

There is gangs but I doubt they'd bother you.
There is a little bit of crime and vandalism.(Don't know how much compared to other places, but I don't think its that bad.)
There's this site which can give you an idea if you don't already know.

http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/...s/albany-park/

It's much better then it is bad.
A lot of these "sketchy" places can change from block to block, they're scattered around.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Control Freak View Post
Yes it can be in many ways. You are confusing neighborhoods within Albany Park the neighborhood with Albany Park the "community area" as a whole. My statement was about Albany Park the neighborhood not all the neighborhoods that are in the Albany Park community area.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'm with Venom, Albany Park is a block-by-block basis, though none of it is particularly dangerous by urban standards unless you decide to take up with a gang. I looked for apartments there for a while before I ended up in Irving Park (the neighborhood immediately south). There were some apartments where I looked around and said "not a chance" but then only a couple blocks away I was perfectly comfortable. I think the quality of the landlords in and the tenants they attract is a lot more variable in Albany Park than just about any other neighborhood in the city, and hence its "patchwork" feel.

I also think it's a neighborhood that developers have tried to gentrify because of its Brown Line access (though some of it such as Blago's neighborhood, aka Ravenswood Manor, never really de-gentrified in the first place) but they've never been able to achieve the critical mass needed to transform the entire neighborhood. But what they did manage to do was stabilize it. Albany Park got pretty shaky for a while, but it has since been pulled back from the brink, even if it's not pretty from corner to corner.

Also, IIRC Albany Park has one of the best non-magnet high schools in the city. Can't think of the name of it off the top of my head but it has some kind of German-sounding name and sits near Kimball and Sunnyside. EDIT: OK, it's Von Stuben, and it's more like Kimball and Carmen.

Last edited by Drover; 01-28-2009 at 12:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago