Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
In Texas we dont say Soda or Pop...

Anywaaays we say coke.
Coke is for anything and everything... Dr.Pepper is Coke..Sprite is Coke....Root Beer is Coke.. Coke is Coke...
That will not fly here. It will not fly most anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

You better be prepared to use the proper names for the name brands or types of soft drink otherwise people will laugh at you,look at you funny, or ignore you. Possibly they will do all three.

I am not trying to be mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,439 times
Well for me personally I dont drink Coke.
Im sort of a health freak so I only drink water and if Im not drinking water it is because Im drinking wine or a beer.

But you just say im gonna have a coke and than you specify to the waitress

But outside of ordering you would simply call it coke.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That will not fly here. It will not fly most anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

You better be prepared to use the proper names for the name brands or types of soft drink otherwise people will laugh at you,look at you funny, or ignore you. Possibly they will do all three.

I am not trying to be mean.
Or they'd just bring you a Coke. I know from my days working at a restaurant, if someone ordered a Coke, that is what I brought them, it never occurred to me that I might have guess they really meant some other sort of soda, hell, if I could have read minds, I wouldn't have been working at a restaurant.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Well for me personally I dont drink Coke...

...But you just say im gonna have a coke and than you specify to the waitress

But outside of ordering you would simply call it coke.
Yeah I know this. I have spent a lot of time in the South.

I will repeat to you however you need to (without saying "coke" first) in Chicago:

Be prepared to use the proper names for the name brands or types of soft drink otherwise people will laugh at you,look at you funny, or ignore you. Possibly they will do all three.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah I know this. I have spent a lot of time in the South.

I will repeat to you however you need to (without saying "coke" first) in Chicago:

Be prepared to use the proper names for the name brands or types of soft drink otherwise people will laugh at you,look at you funny, or ignore you. Possibly they will do all three.
Well with the big, teased hair and long Texas drawl she's pretty much screwed from the get go.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
I import my diet soda from Houston.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
In Texas we dont say Soda or Pop

Have no idea why they are calling it Soda if they are from Houston

Anywaaays we say coke.
Coke is for anything and everything... Dr.Pepper is Coke..Sprite is Coke....Root Beer is Coke.. Coke is Coke...
no coke! pepsi!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 AM

527 posts, read 1,245,469 times
"buy me a soda and try to molest me in the parking lot, eh, eh?" - The Pixies - Bone Machine.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
If you cant afford to spend a buck on a 2 liter of pop you dont belong in Chicago

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
"buy me a soda and try to molest me in the parking lot, eh, eh?" - The Pixies - Bone Machine.
The Pixies were from Mass. The probably call shakes "fraps".

In Wisco many people say "pop", and it's one of the things that outsiders make fun of Wisconsinites for. I've only heard a few people in Chicago use the word "pop", and it actually sounds funny to me now after all of these years. 90% of people in Chicago say "soda". I don't care what Avengerfire says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago