Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:24 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'm telling you, all of the talk about finding the perfect bike is well and good, but if you're just commuting on it, you can find a bike for 50 bucks, spend maybe another 30 to 50 to fix it up, and buy a big honkin u-lock for 30-40 bucks and you're on the road.

That's what I did several years ago, and I still have that bike and use it often.
Me, too. I rode my refurb today.

There is a whole sh** load of nice used bikes in the resale shops. Check the Salvation Army resale store off Grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Try this link. It contains all the info you will need to know regarding biking around the city
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...eEnumValue=127
There are a plethora of bike trails through the forest preserves in the suburbs as well.

As far as what type of bike you get, thats a completely personal decision. For workout/fitness/leisure riding, I would imagine you will probably want either a hybrid, or if you're more serious a full fledged road bike. All designs have their pros and cons (essentially everything is a tradeoff between weight/speed and comfort) so test ride as many models as you can and don't let the sales guy influence your decision (as they will try to sell you whatever is most expensvie or on the floor, whether its right for you or not)...go with what feels good. But dont shop at a department store; go to a specialized bike shop with a staff who is knowledgeable and will be able to fit you to a frame...this is the most important step. I cant tell you how many people I see riding bikes that are either too large/small for their body size. It may be possible they dont have your frame in stock. If thats the case, dont let them talk you into taking a floor model...have them order the correct size. But if the bike isnt fit properly, you likely wont use it (and if you do, you could exert undue stress).

Materials are something else to consider as well: carbon is the new ultra-luxury (incredibly smooth/light ride), but you will pay out the ass for it. Its so pricey most bikes just use it in the fork and seatpost, as opposed to the entire frame. The safety record of carbon has still yet to be proven as well since its such a new technology (the thing about carbon is due to its molecular makeup, if brought to the point of stess it will shatter. Compare that to steel, which when stressed will bend. So if you wreck a steel bike you can just hammer it back to shape. Not so with carbon) Unless you're incredibly serious, a 100% carbon frame is probably overkill.

Aluminum is another popular material, which you will tend to find on lower to mid priced bikes. It is lighter than steel and cro-moly, but it produces thick tubes which some people dont like the appearance of, and the ride tends to be rough (you will feel vibrations, which is why its sometimes augmented with carbon on certain components which will help dampen vibrations).

Steel is the old standard and a lot of people still sware by it. Its heavy, but its probably one of the smoothest rides you can find. The tubes are thin and sleek as well, and a lot of people like the stripped down minimalist appearance. Its also cheap! If you browse garage sales, theres a good chance you could find a nice 70's era italian frame for next to nothing, and with a some new components and a cleaning it could turn out to be a solid standby. Just remember if you leave it out in the rain it will rust.

As far as hybrids go, I like the Trek FX line (which is actually their "fitness" line. The models that fall under their "hybrid" line are more of a comfort/cruiser bike, which I'm not sure is what you're looking for). It is a step below road bike speed, but stable enough to take the abuse of city streets. It also has an upright seating position, which will be less stressful on your back and allow you to take in the scenery.
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path

But like I said, its a personal decision. If you think you might get serious about riding, you might just want to skip hybrids altogether and get a true road bike, which will put you into a more aggressive stance and have a lighter frame. The key is just testing as many models and brands as you can.
Back when I was an avid cyclist, titanium was all the rage for middle- to upper-end light bikes. Are they still using it these days? And as for carbon fiber being a "new" technology, IIRC Kestrel has been making all-carbon-fiber frames for about 20 years now. Is the verdict still not in yet on carbon fiber as a frame material? I remember being amazed that people would pay $3,000+ for a bicycle. Doesn't sound like much now, but back in the late 80s that was huge money for a bike.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
I strongly disagree with going cheap for an urban commuter bike. If it is truly a commuter, it is your primary means of transportation. You need something tough, durable, but most importantly, LOW MAINTENANCE. Cheap bikes are none of the above.

The other argument against going cheap is that the bike will pay for itself anyway. From experience, on average, you will be able to ride to work 4 days a week during the spring, fall, and summer, and two days a week during the winter. That works out to 4 x 0.75 + 2 x 0.25 = 3.5 days per year average over the year. At the current CTA rate of $4.50 oer day, you end up saving 3.5 x 52 x $4.50 = $819 per year, which means a quality bike that you enjoy riding will pay for itself over a little more than a year. The key is to actually use it, which is why it is so important to get one that you enjoy riding.

There are two basic, fundamental low maintenance technologies in commuting bikes, so the first question you need to answer is: "To Shift, or not to shift?".

If you want to be able to shift gears, internal hubs are the way to go. They require virtually no maintnance, and you can shift gears at a stop. Since the gears are internal, you don't get road crap and dirt in them, making this kind of bike a true all-weather workhorse. Make sure you get fenders and a chainguard - so you don't spalsh yourself with road crap and don't get grase on your pants. That way you can wear normal clothes to work.

If you don't care to shift gears, the single speed is the way to go. These bikes tend to be extremely light, VERY fast, and are generally the vehicle of choice for the urban biking hard core. Their ease of maintenance is derived from the simplicity of their powertrain - they have only one speed. Their speed is derived from the fact they are built of light weight components and stripped down to the minimum, which means things like fenders and chainguards are contrary to the spirit of the machine. As a result,the riders of these bikes are often seen sporting crappy clothes and/or knickers.

The thing you want to avoid at all cost, and should not let ANYONE talk you into for a commuter bike, is a derailleur. Derailleurs have their places (on road and mountain bikes), but any bike with one should be considered a recreational bike - unless your commute involves longer distances, say over 6-8 miles each way. The problem with them is that they leave a fairly complex gearing mechanism exposed to the weather, so they require a lot of maintenance and cleaning. Figure at least two tuneups a year (at $75 a pop = $150 per year), and a lot of cleaning and lubing on your own - even if you are just going to the train station.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Back when I was an avid cyclist, titanium was all the rage for middle- to upper-end light bikes. Are they still using it these days? And as for carbon fiber being a "new" technology, IIRC Kestrel has been making all-carbon-fiber frames for about 20 years now. Is the verdict still not in yet on carbon fiber as a frame material? I remember being amazed that people would pay $3,000+ for a bicycle. Doesn't sound like much now, but back in the late 80s that was huge money for a bike.
Steel is the material of choice for urban bike frames, because of its toughness, durability, and flexibility.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Steel is the material of choice for urban bike frames, because of its toughness, durability, and flexibility.
OK, what about "non-urban" bike frames? And what about steel/chro-mo blend for "urban" bike frames?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
The other argument against going cheap is that the bike will pay for itself anyway. From experience, on average, you will be able to ride to work 4 days a week during the spring, fall, and summer, and two days a week during the winter. That works out to 4 x 0.75 + 2 x 0.25 = 3.5 days per year average over the year. At the current CTA rate of $4.50 oer day, you end up saving 3.5 x 52 x $4.50 = $819 per year, which means a quality bike that you enjoy riding will pay for itself over a little more than a year. The key is to actually use it, which is why it is so important to get one that you enjoy riding.
I would like to point one thing out - if you have a monthly pass, you're only paying $2.87/day for transit. so with your math i'd be saving 3.5 x 52 x $2.87= about $522/year. just playing a little devil's advocate there.

i'm really only getting one because of the chance that the CTA will self-destruct/my routes will all get cut. that's the only reason; i have no beef with the CTA as far as getting me to work otherwise, and i'm not trying to be a cool bicyclist or rampant environmentalist.

perhaps i should wait until later in the year anyway, i don't know.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:44 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Well, alls I'll say is that I bought an early 80's Trek road bike a couple years ago, put a little care into it, and have ridden it without incident for hundreds of miles over several years.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I would like to point one thing out - if you have a monthly pass, you're only paying $2.87/day for transit. so with your math i'd be saving 3.5 x 52 x $2.87= about $522/year. just playing a little devil's advocate there.

i'm really only getting one because of the chance that the CTA will self-destruct/my routes will all get cut. that's the only reason; i have no beef with the CTA as far as getting me to work otherwise, and i'm not trying to be a cool bicyclist or rampant environmentalist.

perhaps i should wait until later in the year anyway, i don't know.
Actually, the truth is somewhere in between.

The monthly pass costs $1032 per year. The 1.5 rides per week costs 1.5 x $4.50 x 52 = $351. The maximum savings, then, is $651 per year. But cost is only one factor.

The length of the trip is another factor. For me, I'd actually pay a premium to bike because my trip goes down from 35 minutes to 20 when I do. So saving money is NOT my primary motivation, it is more like icing on the cake.

The neighborhood you live in is yet another factor. As much as I tried to find excuses to bike when I lived in the suburbs, it was always a challenge bcause things are so spread out. Now that I live downtown, its easy to bike a lot because the supply of stuff within 5 miles borders on infinite. Its like my universe has imploded. Another thing to consider is that the same quiet streets that some might characterize as "boring" end up looking wonderful and inviting when you are on two wheels.

My advice is to assess how bikeable your neighborhood is and how long your commute is. If it seems feasible, then go to Working Bikes, get a $50.00 special, and try it out for a while. By the end of the summer you'll know if the lifestyle suits you or not.

If you like it, I've just given you an excuse to cough up the dough for the hot-shirt bike of your dreams. If not, you can always keep the beater, or donate it back.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, alls I'll say is that I bought an early 80's Trek road bike a couple years ago, put a little care into it, and have ridden it without incident for hundreds of miles over several years.
Whatever floats your boat. You don't need fenders if you don't mind road slosh, and you don't need a chainguard if you like to wear knickers, don't object to ankle bands, or don't mind grease in your pants.

I rode a mid-80's Nishiki hybrid for years, through the winter, without incident. Now that I know better, I'd never do it again.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. You don't need fenders if you don't mind road slosh, and you don't need a chainguard if you like to wear knickers, don't object to ankle bands, or don't mind grease in your pants.

I rode a mid-80's Nishiki hybrid for years, through the winter, without incident. Now that I know better, I'd never do it again.
I have a rear fender, roll my pants leg (I wear my long snowboard socks most days I ride in the cold), and do okay. Now, I'll freely admit that I am not one of those hardcore guys who rides every day, regardless of weather. My bike stays mostly parked during the winter. Still, on days like today (glorious!), I have zero problems with my yard-sale bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago