Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 PM

7 posts, read 29,227 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I’m moving to the city next month, and have settled upon the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. I’m scheduled to look at some apartments this weekend, and wanted to get some thoughts on desirability/safety. I’m a 25.m, if that matters. The locations are

2100 block of Ainslie
2100 block of Foster
4600 block of Lincoln
4800 block of Wolcott
1950 block of Winnemac

I realize these are all pretty close to each other, but wasn’t sure if the ones east of Damen may be sketchier. I liked the general feel of the neighborhood and the easy access to public transit, but have now overanalyzed everyblock.com’s crime stats, so just wanted to gather some opinions of people that may be familiar with the area. Thanks a lot of taking the time to read this and help me out; I appreciate it.

Last edited by cap1234; 03-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1234 View Post
Hi all,

I’m moving to the city next month, and have settled upon the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. I’m scheduled to look at some apartments this weekend, and wanted to get some thoughts on desirability/safety. I’m a 25.m, if that matters. The locations are

2100 block of Ainslie
2100 block of Foster
4600 block of Lincoln
4800 block of Wolcott
1950 block of Winnemac

I realize these are all pretty close to each other, but wasn’t sure if the ones east of Damen may be sketchier. I liked the general feel of the neighborhood and the easy access to public transit, but have now overanalyzed everyblock.com’s crime stats, so just wanted to gather some opinions of people that may be familiar with the area. Thanks a lot of taking the time to read this and help me out; I appreciate it.
Can go wrong with any of these although my first choice would be Lincoln (although you could get some street noise on Lincoln, but that's a happeing area right around there. )

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Can go wrong with any of these although my first choice would be Lincoln (although you could get some street noise on Lincoln, but that's a happeing area right around there. )
Yeah, no area you listed is particularly sketchy. The farther west ones put you closer to Lincoln Square, with the one on Lincoln being right in the thick of Lincoln Square action.

Based on location alone, my choices would be:

1) Lincoln
Tied for 2) Ainslie/Winnemac/Foster
Tied for 3) Wolcott

(Admittedly arbitrary towards the end there, but the Wolcott address would be pretty close to Lawrence, which is a pretty major arterial street. Lincoln's busy, but it's slower traffic and just two lanes. Lawrence (at least in that area) is 4 lanes with pretty fast-moving traffic. That means more noise.)

Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Stay away from the addresses closest to Amundsen High School if possible.

Thus these would be my top two choices:

4600 block of Lincoln
4800 block of Wolcott

Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Here's a question: Do you, by any chance, work downtown (especially in the western part of the Loop)? If you do, that Wolcott Apartment is right by the Metra, and that'll get you downtown super quick.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 29,227 times
Quick access to the Metra would be a plus. Since you're all so helpful, I'm going to be greedy and ask another question or two - thoughts on parking? It looked like there was a fair amount available, but I wouldn't want to drive around every night looking (I work in the burbs and occasionally in the loop). Also, is it generally safe to walk around at night coming back by myself from the el or something in the neighborhood? Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Parking is pretty open during the day. It can get tight at night, esp. with Lincoln Square evening diners and pubcrawlers parking on side streets. I don't think many of the streets are zoned, except the ones right around the Brown Line station. And I've noticed they're only zoned a few hours a day, just long enough to keep daytime commuters from leaving their cars on the side streets all day. So as long as you take public transportation to work and don't have to battle for a spot after a late night at work, you should be OK. You probably won't get to park right in front of your own place all the time, but you probably won't have to park much further than around the corner or the other end of the block either.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM

I've noticed that, while parking can be tight because of LS businesses, the fact that there are more single family homes, 2-flats, and 3-flats in Lincoln Square, the parking away from Lincoln is slightly better than the parking in some of the areas of Ravenswood you mentioned. Perhaps that's because there are more courtyard buildings over there, so the density is slightly higher.

It's a negligible difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 15,450 times
The Wolcott and Lincoln ones are especially good. Can't go wrong with either, maybe a little bit more partial to the Lincoln apartment because it's right by Lincoln Square/Brown Line. Either one's awesome.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 AM

33 posts, read 84,405 times
I live in the 2200 block of foster near the school. Surprisingly, it isn't bad at all. It is only busy right before and after school.

Parking is always easy to find in that area. I would choose the 4600 block of Lincoln. You are right in Lincoln Sq, and the brown line is right there. You can also get on the Lawrence bus and pick up the 147 express to downtown.

Overall, any of those locations are good- but I would move as close to the square as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago