Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 16,512 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job that will be starting later this year and am planning a big move to Chicago. I was hoping to find out if anyone knew of any good nearby apartment places that are safe, nice, and affordable (up to 1400-1500/month).

I have found two in particular, Cityfront apartments and another called Chestnut Place.

Cityfront is shown to be located in Streeterville while Chestnut place is on 850 N State street - Goldcoast. I checked both walking distances on Google maps and they both were within 10-12 minutes walk.

Can anyone confirm this particular about Chestnut place? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on either of these places, or even other places, it would be hugely hugely helpful!! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM

please any help or advice ont his matter would be hugely helpful!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM

121 posts, read 322,950 times
We are looking in the same area. Pass along any links if you find them. Our price range is ~$2000 / 1BR.

The Streeter - Home
Welcome To McClurg Court [Chicago]
Chicago High Rise Apartments ~ Grand Plaza High Rise Apartments, Chicago (http://www.grandplazachicago.com/index.html - broken link)
Chicago, IL Apartments and Rentals - Chestnut Tower
Luxury Downtown Chicago Apartments | One Superior Place
Find Chicago apartments and homes for rent in the GREATER CHICAGO area at Plaza 440. (http://www.plaza440leasing.com/s/homepage - broken link)

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM

179 posts, read 481,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
We are looking in the same area. Pass along any links if you find them. Our price range is ~$2000 / 1BR.
I can tell you that i lived in the McClurg Ct last year and I liked it. I had a 600 sqft studio there which I paid for $1120/mo.
The building's in decent, though not spectacular shape and I never had any hassle with the management or anything really. The basic amenities you expect from a downtwon highrise area all there, 24h door man, package room and even maintenance worked fine. When I called them up in the morning telling them the sink in the tub was clogged it was fixed when I returned from work. Also there's a 7-11 inside the buidling and a Dominicks just one block away.
On the downside I heard from several people the managment tends to be a bit bit greedy when increasing rents when renewing the lease, since I never extended my first I don't really know anything more about it than rumors though. I also think the apts. on the lower floors are not really much cheaper than others, even though they lack the cool view and have all the noise from the street.

In general think you already did a good list of apt buildings in the area. You can stillfind a bunch more just by checking emporis:
Streeterville, Chicago | Emporis.com
even they don't give any info on if it's a condo or rental etc.
When looking into an apt you should also check apartmentratings.com and sometimes even yelp.com. For these highrises with like 1k+ residents you should be able to find a good numbers of reviews on aptratings. However keep in mind to take em with a grain of salt since they always tend to be on the negative side.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 AM

thanks for your opinions on checking on the apt buildings,

any other advice please, more would be welcome as I'm pretty much down to those two if anyone knows anything about them...

Old 07-13-2016, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
535 N Michigan Ave is a great building. I work at Northwestern and have been living in this building for 3 years now. The location is excellent (only 5 min walk for me). The rent includes the fitness center, swimming pool, Jacuzzi, cable, central heating and A/C, 24-hour doorman and on-site maintenance. I live in a 1-bedroom that is spacious (around 850 sq.ft). Make sure to choose the North view. I saw one unit facing south and it actually faces the wall of the hotel. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 27,337 times
Cityfront and McClurg are both good buildings. There is another building on Ohio by McClurg that's good, and there are some condo building even further north going up to East Lake Shore Drive (The Gold Coast). I live in Streeterville and have problem walking north and south of the Feinberg building. You could even cross Michigan Avenue and look for a place to live on Rush or Wabash.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:04 PM

93 posts, read 90,883 times
Might check 55 W Chestnut. It's older, and not in a vintage charming way. A friend's daughter lived there for a couple years before she bought a condo. I can't remember the number, just that rent was a lot lower than I expected for the area. This was a few years ago now so of course check. We stopped by between visiting American Girl mothership, and a then-new restaurant on Wells. The apartments were being updated. No fancy amenities, but there was garage parking was. And a basic gym. There's a mix of grad students, young professionals and long-time residents.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca319 View Post
Cityfront and McClurg are both good buildings. There is another building on Ohio by McClurg that's good, and there are some condo building even further north going up to East Lake Shore Drive (The Gold Coast). I live in Streeterville and have problem walking north and south of the Feinberg building. You could even cross Michigan Avenue and look for a place to live on Rush or Wabash.
You're responding to a post that is 7 years old.

The poster before you posted here to "advertise" his place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: