Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM

203 posts, read 689,488 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear a midwesterners take on this...

I see all over these forums that the preferential mention of SF incites a slight hatred/anger among Chicagoans. Have you noticed this or am i seeing things?

In real life do the two regions have a feud I am unaware about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Oh god.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 PM

414 posts, read 885,066 times
Personally, I just don't like California and the whole sun belt. Though, that is just my personal feeling and doesn't really reflect on how all Midwesterners and Chicagoans feel.

However, this topic makes me want to feud with you.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post

I see all over these forums that the preferential mention of SF incites a slight hatred/anger among Chicagoans. Have you noticed this or am i seeing things?

yes, there is, bronx, and you are most perceptive to have uncovered it. You do know that the Transamerica Pyramid is really just San Francisco's attempt at an uncircumsized John Hancock Center. Strangely ours is the black guy and theirs the white.

But you seem to be missing the real story here, far greater than Pier 39 vs. Navy Pier, Market Street vs. State Street, or Golden Gate Park vs. Lincoln Park....

that would be the famous battle brewing between Spokane and Charlotte. Check it out, BX: this one you have to see to believe.

Me? I'm a Chicagoan who adores San Francisco. New York is a great city, BX, but to me it doesn't come close to matching the pure urban joys of cable cars, fog rolling in from the Golden Gate, hills rising above the bay, the smell of sour dough in the air, cocktails atop the Fairmont atop Nob Hill, the classical beauty of the GG and Bay bridges, dim sum on Grant Avenue, gay and proud in the Castro, stoned and loving it in the Haight, victorians on Alamo Squre, Giants home runs in McCovey Cove, Lombard Street twisting back and forth down Russian Hill, Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park, the Pacific splashing against the rocks at Cliff House, or the panorama atop Twin Peaks.

I'm sure you will agree with me, BX: no US city comes close to measuring up to the City by the Bay. See: there's no feud. Chicago...like me....just about love.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Chicago vs. San Fran?

Everyone I know in Chicago absolutely loves San Fran, as do I. I've never heard of any rivalry, let alone any hated from anyone from Chicago.

Maybe there's something between San Fran and one or two individuals on this website, but that's not a true representation. I've never even noticed that...

I had mentioned San Fran in a previous post, but only in confusion that San Fran is apparently a larger power-house than Chicago in this country. I know it's a larger tourism magnet, but as far as being a powerhouse, I'd never heard San Fran being that far up there.

I would think it's NYC, LA, Chicago, and then probably Washington DC and San Fran being pretty much neck and neck. That's just my take though - and there certainly wasn't any slight towards San Fran.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post

I haven't noticed anything on the boards.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
I think San Francisco is a wonderful city. bronx_kidd, if you want to start something, do it on the City vs. City board.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Maybe there's a beef between NYC and San Fran.

Both very urban, vibrant, lots of culture....but one city just got more right

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
I happen to like San Fran, its one of the few CA cities that I would be happy living in. It seems to be one of the few cities in CA that actually got several things RIGHT! Too bad its so ridiculously expensive, otherwise it would be tempting to live there. The earthquakes scare me too, but thats a different story altogether.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Maybe there's a beef between NYC and San Fran.

Both very urban, vibrant, lots of culture....but one city just got more right
Which one? I think both cities got a lot right. The real beef is between New York and Los Angeles, since both are appealing for very different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago