Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 PM

27 posts, read 105,027 times

Advertisements

This may have already been done...but...

I'm decently familiar with Chicago(though various websites and many visits) but recently I have been seriously considering moving to the great city! My choices have been chopped down between Austin and Chicago(don't ask why lol)... ANYWAYS

People, please give me a neighborhood or two(or as many as you want ) that you PERSONALLY feel is SAFE. Safety being the most important aspect for me in choosing a new place to live since I will be moving with my young girlfriend who has never left her small town of under 10,000 people. So everyone please give me ANY information you have on the safety of various hoods'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
People, please give me a neighborhood or two(or as many as you want ) that you PERSONALLY feel is SAFE.
Mount Greenwood. Edison Park.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
I feel safe in Little Village, and Humboldt Park.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Mount Greenwood, Beverly (although if she's from out of town I would recommend staying west of Longwood Drive), Lakeview, Lincoln Park.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I feel safe in Little Village, and Humboldt Park.
Interesting, first poster I seen say that.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
I feel safe in Hyde Park

Old 05-14-2009, 09:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Interesting, first poster I seen say that.
Chicagoland60426 meet Venom; Venom meet Chicagoland60426

Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,518 times
Default Obvious Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
This may have already been done...but...

I'm decently familiar with Chicago(though various websites and many visits) but recently I have been seriously considering moving to the great city! My choices have been chopped down between Austin and Chicago(don't ask why lol)... ANYWAYS

People, please give me a neighborhood or two(or as many as you want ) that you PERSONALLY feel is SAFE. Safety being the most important aspect for me in choosing a new place to live since I will be moving with my young girlfriend who has never left her small town of under 10,000 people. So everyone please give me ANY information you have on the safety of various hoods'.
First of all, you are going to get a million different answers from everyone on here. Everyone's definition of "safe" is different. Safe for me means that I can walk around pretty much any time of day and not worry about a crime being committed against me/in my home/close to me. However, other posters might think of safe as "no murders near home" or "I can walk around during the day, but at night I drive places." Safety is VERY subjective.

Even in the most expensive neighborhood in the city, the Gold Coast, you are not guaranteed safety 100%. Do I usually worry when I am visiting there? No, but I am street smart about the panhandlers and I am also a 6'2'' 240 pound man, so I'm not the usual target.

Generally, safe neighborhoods in my opinion on the North Side are Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview, and Roscoe Village. I haven't spent enough time in Wicker Park/Bucktown to quantify that area.

On the South Side, I know the Beverly and Hyde Park areas are generally safe and are in high demand (Beverly for sure, not so sure about HP, very little exposure there).

What are you looking to spend? If money is no object, Gold Coast. But please keep in mind that even in the safest neighborhoods, things happen. Recently, in my neighborhood, which is adjacent to Boystown, there have been several Gay Bashings in the area of Roscoe and Halsted. It is generally considered to be a safe area, an area I walk around both in the day and the night, but this was a big wakeup call to me and my friends that just because you are in the "Gayborhood", doesn't mean you are safe. You better believe that the next time I walked home from that area, I was looking over my shoulder and making sure I was aware of my surroundings.

I have lived in this city since March of 2008 and have had a crime-free existence. I have walked home sober and blackout drunk at all hours of the day and been fine.

I hope this was of some help for you!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Question is too broad to bother with. What are you looking for in a neighborhood, what are your interests, what is your budget, etc...

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,518 times
Default By the way...

If you girlfriend has never left her town of 10,000, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you bring her to visit beforehand. Chicago is majorly different then any town of just 10,000 that is isolated. I have been to a lot of those small towns in Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas, and life there could NOT be more different then living in Chicago!

It is pretty inevitable that your girlfriend is going to be overwhelmed in Chicago. It takes a while to get used to the city (when I first moved here, I used to carry a "cheat sheet" with me to know that Howard meant North on the Red Line and 95th/Dan Ryan meant South). Make sure you allow some time to explore the city before you start working/school, since life is pretty fast-paced here compared to a small town of 10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago