Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,069 times

Advertisements

Hello, evry1

ok, me and my husband are moving from houston to chicago:d, and we are searching for a particular neighborhood that is safe, affordable, and near public transportation. Also we need to drive to crete, il on sundays so, a neighborhood within and 1hr drive will do. We will move without jobs, but have a savings of 15,000. The only thing, i think i will have to get use to is the winters, because evry1 knows that the h in houston stands for hot. We are ready for a change in scenrey. Also the budget is 1050, with or without utilities, and hopefully 2bdrms. Also we will be bringing 1 car and its paid off, but just want to bring it just in case. But from previous post we may end up selling it.

Thanks, for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
From pretty much the NW border of Chicago to Crete is about 40 miles and on Sundays, as long as you do not hit traffic this can be done in an hour: from: N Western Ave to: Crete, IL - Google Maps

SO, that gives you basically ALL of Chicago itself to consider...

Safe is probably a relative term, but again 90%+ of Chicago is no worse than 90%+ of Houston, the 10% or so that is worse is going to be pretty obvious...

Budget is maybe a little low, but w/o utils you should be able to find a 2 bdr.

Do you know where you will be working? If it is near O'Hare I would recommend against some place in the South Loop or near UIC. If you will be working in the Loop then pretty much any public transportation will work...

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM

Well my job, will be transfering. But my husband will look for a job. Thanks for the reply.

So can u tell like what is the high temp, in the winter mths in chicago.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
January in Chicago - Month by Month Guide to Chicago - January

Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I did the reverse of you, tiff. I came to Houston from Chicago. You will definitely need to get used to the winters. They have driven many a Sun Belt native back home. Here are some neighborhood comparisons that may help you out. These comparisons are for crime and income levels.

River Oaks=The Gold Coast
The Heights=Lincoln Park
Meyerland=West Rogers Park
Sharpstown=Logans Square
Alief=Pilsen
Jefferson Park=Jersey Village
Austin=Fondren Southwest
Little Village=rougher parts of Pasadena.
Sugar Land=Naperville

Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks, crbcrgv. This defintely will help me. And i know to stay away from austin. I stay in the alief area, but work in river oaks and they are two different neighborhoods. I think the winters may be difficult, but i also stayed in arkansas and the temps there were about 20-25(high) in the winters, and snowed sometimes but not as much as in chicago. I feel that we can prbly tolerate the winters, but it may be a task.

Also can you tell me any cities that are around 20-30 min outside of chicago.

Thanks again

Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttiiff04 View Post
Thanks, crbcrgv. This defintely will help me. And i know to stay away from austin. I stay in the alief area, but work in river oaks and they are two different neighborhoods. I think the winters may be difficult, but i also stayed in arkansas and the temps there were about 20-25(high) in the winters, and snowed sometimes but not as much as in chicago. I feel that we can prbly tolerate the winters, but it may be a task.

Also can you tell me any cities that are around 20-30 min outside of chicago.

Thanks again
Tolerating the winter is best done by properly acclimating; if you are here through the fall, and go outside often, your skin will (quite literally) thicken up and the winter won't seem so bad. Many a time when I was a kid I marveled at how 50° F seemed so cold in October, and so warm in March.

Using my psychic powers, I think you might like Arlington Heights, a mature suburb near O'Hare.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Can you tell me a little bout arlington heights.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times
Arlington Heights is well-served by freeways and commuter trains, and is close to, but not so close as to be noisy, O'Hare. It has low crime, but quite a few rental units. It is large, but not too large, and is more than just a bedroom community--it has shopping, light industry, and many "new economy" jobs. Schools are good enough.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I did the reverse of you, tiff. I came to Houston from Chicago. You will definitely need to get used to the winters. They have driven many a Sun Belt native back home. Here are some neighborhood comparisons that may help you out. These comparisons are for crime and income levels.

River Oaks=The Gold Coast
The Heights=Lincoln Park
Meyerland=West Rogers Park
Sharpstown=Logans Square
Alief=Pilsen
Jefferson Park=Jersey Village
Austin=Fondren Southwest
Little Village=rougher parts of Pasadena.
Sugar Land=Naperville
I'm planning on moving to Texas next year (Austin) and I will be visiting for my very first time next week. I have read quite a bit about Houston too, and I realize I haven't actually been there, but when I read descriptions of Houston neighborhoods, other places in Chicagoland fit much better from what I can see.

Because Houston isn't as dense (and I look at that as a good thing!) it sounds like many Houston neighborhoods have more in common within close-in Chicago suburbs. Heres what I think the comparisons are more like, but please feel free to correct me, because your the one who actually made the move.

River Oaks=River Forest, Riverside, or Winnetka (older mansions)
The Heights=Oak Park (Victorian houses and liberal/quirky while being a bit quieter).
Midtown=Lincoln Park (high rises close to park with museums, zoo).
Montrose= combination of Wicker Park and Lakeview/Boystown.
Pasedena=SW suburbs of Summit, Bridgeview, Chicago Ridge, etc.
I'd agree with Sugarland from what I've read.
Rice Village=Hyde Park (mid-American Ivy league type school?)
Galleria=more suburban than the Mag Mile certainly, but more urban than Woodfield, Schaumburg area.
Alief/Sharpstown= those sound maybe like the rougher parts of the NW suburbs (Wheeling, Rolling Meadows, Hanover Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago