Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM

413 posts, read 833,156 times

Advertisements

Wife is now taking a job in hammond. I work from home but need lots of space for my work. I want something in the area of 2000 square feet and I want it affordable. I want decent safety and my wife wants a walkable neighborhood that she thinks is cute and has interesting restaurants coffee shops etc. We can spend 2500 in rent though I would like $2000. I have found decent properties in all the neighborhoods I have considered but am wondering if I am missing anything.

River West: My wife loves it here. She is really attracted to the mix of old industrial and nice housing. Its really convenient to everywhere but Hammond. Its a little pricier then some other neighborhoods. I am worried that the additional 3 miles spent on 90/94 vs. other neighborhoods will destroy an otherwise good commute.

West Loop: We like the area though there seem to be not as many properties here fitting our needs. I don't really see any benefits to west loop over river west and we like that better.

South Loop: On paper this seems to make the most sense. easy commute with the 22nd street exit. Reasonable housing options. Close tot he lake and grant park and the loop. Excellent transportation all over the city. This was our first choice until visiting. My wife hated it. She just thought it was all new construction high rises and townhomes and lacked any character. I don't think its unfair to characterize it as having a lot of suburban influence.

Pilsen: Affordable housing. Good commute. Ethnic neighborhood so I expect it has a lot of character. I'm concerned with it having poor access to other parts of the city. I think my wife is jumping to conclusions but she kind of feels like she might as well just live in the burbs.

Bridgeport: Similar arguments to Pilsen except even worse access to the city but better access to Hammond.

Hyde Park: Might make sense but my wife goes to school there and hates Hyde Park. I also do feel that it seems to be much more expensive then Pilsen or Bridgeport.

UIC Little Italy: I can't find housing that is any cheaper then South loop or River west. I feel like if I am going to spend that much those are better choices.

Anything I am missing? Are any of my neighborhood beliefs wrong? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Areas around the Loop have the advantage of being close to the South Shore train terminal, which connects conveniently to Hammond.

You've got River West, the South Loop, and the West Loop on your list... Why not River North?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,417 times
Let me give you a hint -- go to River West. Your wife sounds very particular (she hates both south loop and hyde park!?). If this kind of person doesn't feel very happy with their living situation then you the husband will pay a steep price. The location is fine for your proposed schedule. Go where she feels some resonance.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Let me give you a hint -- go to River West. Your wife sounds very particular (she hates both south loop and hyde park!?). If this kind of person doesn't feel very happy with their living situation then you the husband will pay a steep price. The location is fine for your proposed schedule. Go where she feels some resonance.
I don't have an issue with River West and I know that's what she likes. My biggest concern is that she thinks she wants that now, but I am not sure she will when she sees that she is wasting 40 minutes a day vs. other neighborhoods.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,218,121 times
Mount Greenwood/Beverly

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Areas around the Loop have the advantage of being close to the South Shore train terminal, which connects conveniently to Hammond.

You've got River West, the South Loop, and the West Loop on your list... Why not River North?
Where can I get 2000 square feet for under $2500 in River North?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM

You wouldn't take 90/94 for those three miles. Slide down Canal or something like that through pilsen and get on at cermak. It's not that a big of a deal.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Mount Greenwood/Beverly
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't those fairly suburban? I proposed we just live in Munster as it cost half as much and is a ten minute commute but was shot down immediately? My wife is essentially not willing to give up living in the city. And its going to have to be a neighborhood that feels like a city. I have thought of Beverly but unless I have some evidence that my wife's preconceived notions of Beverly are wrong she wouldn't even visit it.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Beverly isn't particularly urban. It is an old, historic neighborhood with an amazing housing stock, some hills, winding roads, and tons of huge trees. It's pretty lame on the amenities side of things even compared to Hyde Park, which I always considered ultra-lame. Beverly is top notch for young families who want a 50's type suburban feeling with character while being within striking distance to the city. I agree it isn't for your wife at all.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
You wouldn't take 90/94 for those three miles. Slide down Canal or something like that through pilsen and get on at cermak. It's not that a big of a deal.
I guess. But even if you do that you are going from Cermak to Grand on side streets. That is 27 blocks. I'm guessing that's a good 15 minutes additional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago