Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 33,755 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm an actor heading to chicago via dayton, ohio. I will be subletting for a couple of months while taking acting classes and would like to stay in chicago long term eventually. This is my third visit to Chicago.

I'm in my late 20's, white male, actor, philosopher. I prefer urban/cultural areas as long as it's relatively safe (i.e. can walk through the area late at night without getting jumped, without crackhouses and gangs, etc). It would be really nice to reside in some of the more bohemian and artsy fartsy areas " areas in chicago. But I'm not sure where they are located.

My price range is preferably between $500 and $700. I don't mind living with other people.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
post everything you've just posted here and post it on Craigslist in the housing wanted section

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
So... can anyone clarify on a sublet procedure... if two (2) people are sharing a 1 bedroom, and say 1 person wants to sublet their "half" of the apartment, but the 2nd person does not want this to happen... isn't it the management/Landlord's 100% decision as to who can sublet (pending the sub-lessee is approved)? Maybe to clarify... can one person prevent the other from subletting their "half" to someone else simply based on the fact that they don't want that situation to happen?...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^No offense but this situation has Jerry Springer and Judge Mathis written all over it.^

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
MethodActor. I think you'd like East Lakeview (close to Lake/Park). The commercial street with shops/restaurants/coffeehouses starts at 2800 N Broadway and goes north about 10 blocks. There is cool housing on tree lined side streets (or highrises on Lake Shore Dr 2 blocks east of Broadway). The gay strip, N Halsted St, is 2 blocks west of Broadway and north of Belmont. Nice mix of people in this neighborhood. Since limited gangs/safety is important this is a pretty good bet. Sure, there are sometimes muggings, but so few the odds are just minute. You won't have a problem in your price range if you share with 2 others (or you could get a tiny studio for right around 700.00). Check out craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums (http://www.chicago.craigslist.com - broken link)

There are other areas you might like such as Andersonville (5200 N Clark is epicenter) or Wicker Park.

You can go "more bohemian" than any of the above, however, you will loose some of your safety (and have less coffeehouses, etc)

Good luck with all of this and let us know if you have more questions.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM

295 posts, read 837,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
So... can anyone clarify on a sublet procedure... if two (2) people are sharing a 1 bedroom, and say 1 person wants to sublet their "half" of the apartment, but the 2nd person does not want this to happen... isn't it the management/Landlord's 100% decision as to who can sublet (pending the sub-lessee is approved)? Maybe to clarify... can one person prevent the other from subletting their "half" to someone else simply based on the fact that they don't want that situation to happen?...
If both parties are on the lease, then both parties would have to agree to sublet. The landlord/management co. will not get in the middle, if they are smart, and will only excercise their right for final approval. If the situation is dire, such as domestic abuse or job relocation, the landlord may let both parties out of the lease early with little to no penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: