Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_babuschka View Post
Thanks Surlycue - it's at least six blocks from the Kimball stop so I wouldn't think this would be an issue but, Venom, do you think noise might be a concern?

We had a good feeling in this neighborhood. I did an everyblock.com search on the areas and the type of crime was what you see in almost all city neighborhoods, a few car vandalisms, simple assault, drug possession. Didn't seem to be that many occurrences though. Would it be okay to walk your dogs (small ones and both more defenseless than I) in the evening? I'm not talking past 10 or anything. Opinions?
I see people walking dogs all the time so that won't be a problem.
And yes, most crime is basic city crime.
Noise won't be a concern.
There might be some parties once in a while where Mexican music is blasted at night, but no real noise producing things in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
I know a gay couple (male) who has owned a house in Albany Park for seven years. They seem to like it.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:17 AM

38 posts, read 87,978 times
Lookout - thanks. Do you happen to know which part of Albany Park they reside in?

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
If you insist on wearing your gayness on your sleeve and making sure everyone knows you're gay all the time, some people might give you grief. If you just go about your business and mind yours, others will do the same.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:07 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I would just avoid PDA in some of the Middle-Eastern/Arab owned businesses as they seem to be more conservative then the Asian and Latino businesses.

Albany Park is a great area and the diversity and variety of cuisines and businesses can't be beat.
I second this general observation. Its important for people moving into any diverse urban neighborhood trying to look for "funkiness" to understand that has different cultures; those cultures maybe just as or more conservative (at least socially) and may not approve of outward personal expressions. Its probably best to understand those cultures just a bit, and then act accordingly when you are around them. ie: There is a BIG difference between being Turkish and Arab, although the average American might not know or understand that.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,448,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Turkish and Arab, although the average American might not know or understand that.
I didn't mean any offense. When I said Middle-Eastern I really meant first generation Muslim-Americans. Any children born in Chicago will probably be less staunch. Jewish and Christian Turks, Albanians, Iraqis, etc are difficult to pick out of a line-up so when in a business that you aren't entirely familiar with it helps to air on the side of caution.

Can't we all just get along?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_babuschka View Post
Lookout - thanks. Do you happen to know which part of Albany Park they reside in?
Near the Kimball Brown Line Station. I don't think there are many other gay couples on their block, but they've done a nice job rehabbing their house.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM

38 posts, read 87,978 times
Default Albany Park - winter

I'm strongly considering a move to Albany Park but one of my reservations is that the streets where the properties we like are located are very narrow and some are cul-de-sacs.

Does anyone know if these types of streets (cul-de-sacs or dead ends, narrow) are plowed in the winter? Are they a nightmare to try to navigate?

I live in Chicago so I'm realistic about having to dig my car out, but I want to make sure that I can actually get off the street as well.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM

393 posts, read 1,218,121 times
Best to ask at the ward office.

http://33rdward.org
http://www.aldermanlaurino.com

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,243,532 times
For the most part they do.
They might be a little late sometimes.
Last year when everything melted and refroze there was ice patches everywhere for a while.

Also, people put chairs and other stuff to save their spot after they shovel it out.
Although I heard that starting this year you will be fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: