Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious08 View Post
Thanks for your input. Although people may decide not to listen (not the case with me), we can't make them and sure can't appear rude about it. It is simply not that serious. We don't know what other factors that drive a person's decisions. Moving on now. Again thanks.

Peace...
I didn't mean to appear rude Loquacious. I was just a little irked that it seemed as if you didn't listen to our advice from before. Sorry for the tone and confusion, but from a local's perspective, this is something you should be well aware of and many people will agree here.

Yes, have your husband drive it, but you will definitely be better off in an area like Hyde Park for pure sanity's sake..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM

33 posts, read 45,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I didn't mean to appear rude Loquacious. I was just a little irked that it seemed as if you didn't listen to our advice from before. Sorry for the tone and confusion, but from a local's perspective, this is something you should be well aware of and many people will agree here.

Yes, have your husband drive it, but you will definitely be better off in an area like Hyde Park for pure sanity's sake..
Ok. Thanks again. :-)

Old 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Being liberal doesn't mean I should tolerate wickedness, quite the contrary.
Wrong. You only apply this standard to white people.
What about all the other ethnic neighborhoods throughout Chicago where is primary 1 nationality that lives in that area? Why do you give those areas a free pass?

I think your problem is less with race and more with socioeconomic standing.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What about all the other ethnic neighborhoods throughout Chicago where is primary 1 nationality that lives in that area? Why do you give those areas a free pass?
It's kind of early in the day isn't it, even for you?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

I think your problem is less with race and more with socioeconomic standing.
Oh good lord, I think you are reading far more into Irishtom's post than was actually there.

IMO, you need to chill.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:27 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

I would strongly advise your husband to make the trek at the actual time of day he will be commuting.

In Chicago, you generally want to live in the area where you will be working. A drive from one part of the metro area to another part can take as long as two or even three hours. And when there's a winter storm, all bets are off.

Traffic is not something to be taken lightly here. People aren't trying to be rude to you -- on the contrary, they're looking out for you.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM

63 posts, read 81,904 times
yeah race war!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 PM

33 posts, read 45,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I would strongly advise your husband to make the trek at the actual time of day he will be commuting.

In Chicago, you generally want to live in the area where you will be working. A drive from one part of the metro area to another part can take as long as two or even three hours. And when there's a winter storm, all bets are off.

Traffic is not something to be taken lightly here. People aren't trying to be rude to you -- on the contrary, they're looking out for you.
I get it. We are not ignorant of big city life. That is exactly what he is going to do. Houston has horrible traffic as well. Dag... A statement that appears to be scolding me is rude. It wasn't what was said-it was how it was said. Anyway that is closed. Stop internet bullying me.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM

110 posts, read 277,947 times
Quote:
What's bad about Foster and Western? I just want to live in a safe area.
It's absolutely a safe area. One practical (read: annoying) thing to consider is the fire station located just east of there. I lived at Oakley and Foster for 2 years, and I heard sirens . . . a lot . . . at all hours of the day . . . and night.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
I get it. We are not ignorant of big city life. That is exactly what he is going to do. Houston has horrible traffic as well. Dag... A statement that appears to be scolding me is rude. It wasn't what was said-it was how it was said. Anyway that is closed. Stop internet bullying me.
Oh good god!! That comment by Andrew was soooooooooooo not bullying! You don't have to worry about snow in Houston. Anybody who's not used to driving in snow shouldn't live that far from work when you're moving here just going into winter! Yeah, Lincoln Square is great, but it's not the only good neighborhood in Chicago. Hyde Park would be a MUCH better choice - at least for your husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago