Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM

269 posts, read 717,400 times

Advertisements

Uh.... anyways, I live in a cave/garden/basement apartment. There is a gate on the place and its on a nice quiet side street so I feel 100% safe... I also have an ADT system....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I was at the Irish Fesh on Navy Pier one year when a freak thunderstorm hit. The torrential rains flooded the underpasses and overwhelmed the aging sewer system, It took 4 hours to drive to Berwyn and when I finally got home the water was 2" -3"deep to the building. There was no garden apartment in this building.

If the door and windows are tightly sealed, the only question is, will the water come through the floor? We had a flood this year where the water pressure was so great underground, it actually came through the middle of the concrete floor.

As long as you have nothing of value on the floor, and you have a good indoor-.outdoor vac - I think mine is 12hp - the clean up will be more nuisance than anything. But if you get 3-4" of water inside the apartment you will have a real mess.

Water damage is one of the downsides of living in a garden apartment. Unfortunately there is no way of determining in advance whether or not your apartment has ever had water damage unless you see water marks/stains on the walls. They chances are very good the landord did not build a garden aparment in a basement he knows floods.

The problem is, you will know until it happens. Luckily, Chicago has few of those storms. I know of two in thirty years.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
I would not recomend living in a Garden Apartment....Lived in one in Lincoln Park (Webster/Racine) and it was broken into twice within a year. Also had a friend who lived in Lakeview (Eddy/Southport), and his apt was broken into a few weeks back.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
You know folks, just because landlords and real estate people call basement apartments "gardens" doesn't mean the rest of us have to use the euphemism.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Eh, mine didn't flood last year with all that nasty rain, then again the building is only 8 years old.

I wouldn't live in one if there wasn't a gate and it didn't come with an ADT system. I know neither are much of a deterrent, but why would a thief bother with my place when there are plenty without gates and ADT stickers in the window...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

81 posts, read 119,830 times
Maybe it'd be fun for a couple of frat boys to rent one, and booby trap it!! They could seriously have some fun with the little punk thieves, and it'd all be legal.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Not legal to booby trap a place, plus you'd be civilly liable for it... trust me, we went over that in my Torts class last week.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

81 posts, read 119,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
Not legal to booby trap a place, plus you'd be civilly liable for it... trust me, we went over that in my Torts class last week.
Really? Even if it catches someone who is criminally trespassing? Why then is it legal for someone to sit home in chair holding a shotgun?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
I own a garden in Lincoln Square. No bars on the windows and a Brinks home security system. Never had an issue with burglary or flooding *knock on wood*

Also very convenient for moving things in and out.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I use to live in a garden w/ no bars and in a very iffy neighborhood. I didnt think much of it at first and then noticed a very big window in the alley that anyone could have kicked in. Luckily for me nobody ever broke in, but I did get flooded last year when we had that big rain. I actually made my landlord come and clean it out. Besides the fact that it could be unsafe and has a chance of flooding, you will also probaly will not get much light and have to keep your blinds down or everyone will be able to see in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago