Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times

Advertisements

Loyola is my top choice for graduate school. I want to get my Masters in Education for Elementary Ed. I have a combined GRE score of 1270. GPA=3.4. I've done undergraduate research for 2.5 years. I've been an RA for 3 years. Any thoughts on my chances of getting in? Furthermore, anyone out there know about the likelihood of getting research positions....namely PAID research positions?? thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Unless I am badly mistaken you sound like someone that is NOT a typical candidate for a Masters in Education at a school like Loyola.

Generally the folks that get research positions and stipends for graduate studies in Education do so at a small number of specialized Universities.

To earn a Masters in Elementary Education you would generally be using University like Loyola as a "Professional School" -- just as you pay for an MBA or Law School or Medical School.

The track to get a paid reasearch position in Education is NOT the track to become a classroom teacher!

This is NOT to say that is impossible to attend a school like Loyola and pursue an advanced degree in an area that DOES have research opportunities in area like Development Psychology and do research in how bilingual students are best prepared for academic success: http://www.luc.edu/gradschool/newsletters/Volume_2_-_Issue_1.pdf (broken link) AND WHILE WORKING FOR one Department, work out a deal with the School of Education to also get the sort of Professional Degree you are seeking. You must, however, realize that the University is NOT going to pay you for this sort of move -- the folks that do the sorts of research in Development Psychology (or other fields that are related to elementary education) are generally NOT the same folks that go on to be classroom teachers.

Where are you currently a student? Have you talked about this with your counselors / professors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago