Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times

Advertisements

How many of you Chicago posters here are Unemployed?

I moved here from Houston around Feb 12th 09 [?] and since then I've been applying to Chicago jobs but have not even gotten an interview! I wonder if I'm being blacklisted because of my felony or something else. 64 weeks unemployed now and I'm gonna resort to my employment method of last resort - I'm looking for jobs around the nation! Good permanent ones or contract jobs...

So how is your unemployment and Chicago jobhunt going? What type of jobs do you apply for? I apply for CAD / Mechanical Engineering / Technical Writing jobs.

I'm getting TX State Extended Benefits now... activated after my 2nd Extension ran out. This long term Unemployment Benefit has been a lifesaver as I don't have to work at McDonalds because of it. And with my resume I'm overqualified for McDonalds / Walmart ... etc type of jobs anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 AM

71 posts, read 189,886 times
Unemployed newly admitted to the bar attorney here.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
Dont list your history that makes you over qualified and apply for a retail type of place. Thats what I would do at least.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
Is it legal to be receiving Texas unemployment when you live in another state? I would assume that you need to notify the benefits office if you move and certainly if you move to a whole other state.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Yes, you can collect unemployment from another state. It is quite common because people often move after losing a job.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Is it legal to be receiving Texas unemployment when you live in another state?...
Yes,because that is where his last qualifying work was located and his claim is against a Texas employer.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Have you been receiving benefits for over a year? Im not to sure on how that stuff usually works out but that seems like a hell of a long time to be collecting Unemployment

Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
^ Congress (as well as individual states) keeps putting through extensions. In fact, they put through another last week. ^

"Last year, Congress authorized up to 33 additional weeks of emergency unemployment compensation for people in hard-hit states who exhausted their regular benefits -- which are typically based on work history and wages and often last up to 26 weeks. Originally set to expire in March 2009, the federal stimulus bill extended the window for people to qualify for the additional benefits to the end of December."

U.S. Senate approves unemployment extension | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20091104/NEWS06/91104076/1319/U.S.-Senate-approves-unemployment-extension - broken link)

November 6, 2009
Unemployment Compensation Extension Passed by Congress

"Under the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 (H.R. 3548), unemployment compensation benefit payments will be extended for an additional 14 weeks in all states. In states where the unemployment rate is at or above 8.5 percent, jobless workers will be eligible for 6 additional weeks of benefits."

And some states pass there own extensions as well.

================================================== ================================================== ===============
For example in Illinois:

26 weeks of regular unemployment.

Plus

"Emergency Unemployment Compensation provides up to 33 weeks of additional benefits after all entitlement to regular unemployment insurance has been exhausted."

Plus

"The State Extended Benefits program provides up to 20 additional weeks of benefits during times of high unemployment. EB is payable after the exhaustion of all entitlement to Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC 08). "

Unemployment Extension Programs

Plus the latest extension by the feds for 14 weeks. (I believe the max is 20 in Illinois as a high unemployment state)

"Under the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 (H.R. 3548), unemployment compensation benefit payments will be extended for an additional 14 weeks in all states. In states where the unemployment rate is at or above 8.5 percent, jobless workers will be eligible for 6 additional weeks of benefits."

================================================== ================================================== ===========

So one can quite possibly be on unemployment in Illinois for 99 weeks which is just shy of two years!

Last edited by Avengerfire; 11-09-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^

So one can quite possibly be on unemployment in Illinois for 99 weeks which is just shy of two years!
And what is Unemployment benefits, 75% of your prior years salary (I feel dumb not knowing this ). 2 years cmon, why do I think there are way to many people milking this system

Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
TX Unemployment knows I moved and they still give me benefits. I don't think many people are milking unemployment unless they purposely don't look for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago