Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
The orchard will take at least 7 years to mature which means at least 7 years of a fence. CROP has some kind of resistance to purchasing juvenile trees and wants to start from seedlings. Another peculiar aspect of the plan is that they intend to seek out rare apple species, not those that are semi native to the region. I am hoping that this does not become an issue that puts our native species at risk. It also seems somewhat counterproductive to teach city kids about where their food comes in by importing apple trees from Kazakhstan.
From what I understand (Pollan's Botany of Desire) all major apple orchards are using grafts from a few select cultivars, so if they want to grow the apples people are used to eating, they won't be native.

I also cannot wrap my head around how a fenced-in orchard is "open space." From what I've read, it would seem that the orchard is going to be permanently fenced in to protect the fruit from being picked too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
The crowd was white. Really white. And with the way the meeting was advertised (facebook and the farmer's market) I'm not really surprised. I think Rey is doing a major disservice to his constituents by not getting the word out about this thing. The least he could have done was leaflet they three EL stations and the "Open Space" sign that has been perpetually standing for the last 3 years. He did say that they are going to research the suggestions provided by the attendees and then hold another public meeting in a larger space.
Ugh. I was afraid of that. Glad to hear it's not final though, and there are still opportunities for community input. Fencing off the area means this won't count as an open green space for the neighborhood, I think that's going to cause them a lot of problems if it is really put out there for community input. It seems too much like someone's pet project getting supported by the city.

Quote:
Another peculiar aspect of the plan is that they intend to seek out rare apple species, not those that are semi native to the region. I am hoping that this does not become an issue that puts our native species at risk. It also seems somewhat counterproductive to teach city kids about where their food comes in by importing apple trees from Kazakhstan.
Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. Most of the projects like this that I've seen focus on native or historical species that are known to be adapted to the region. I've been gardening for a long time and exotic species and organic techniques don't really go hand in hand. Plants that are native to an area have found ways to deal with pests and infections. If a plant hasn't spread beyond a certain region it is often because that plant can't deal with the pests and diseases outside their native region. Many times exotic plants can only survive if large amounts of pesticides and other chemicals are used to protect them.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I've been gardening for a long time and exotic species and organic techniques don't really go hand in hand. Plants that are native to an area have found ways to deal with pests and infections. If a plant hasn't spread beyond a certain region it is often because that plant can't deal with the pests and diseases outside their native region. Many times exotic plants can only survive if large amounts of pesticides and other chemicals are used to protect them.
Very true - with the exception to these general principles (invasive species) not being a pleasant alternative, the ubiquitous "tree of heaven" comes to mind.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM

20 posts, read 58,913 times
I have lived at Armitage and Kedzie for about two years and, even in that amount of time, the neighborhood has changed drastically. Once, Logan Square's safety was questionable but there is never a moment when I feel unsafe walking around outside.

Someone posted above that Logan Square is becoming one of the great neighborhoods of the city and I could not agree more. The area is not only developing into a safer, more friendly place, but it is diversifying wildly. At your location, you are sort of on the cusp of Logan and Humboldt. I am in the same situation and I love it. Puerto Rican fest still happens in Humboldt Park every year and it is one of the absolute coolest festivals in the city. Also, Humboldt Park also hosts the Humboldt Park Arts Festival. Logan Square also has the Milwaukee Avenue Arts Festival and Metronome Festival. Both are great. Palmer Square also hosts a lot of cool events such as New Belgium's Tour De Fat bicycle festival and parade.

The closer you are to Milwaukee, the closer you are to Logan Square's unique nightlife and shopping. But, even over at Kimball, you are at walking distance of all the fun stuff.

West of Kimball can get a little hairier at times but I would take a good deal out there for sure. I really love this area and do not plan on leaving. I would absolutely recommend moving into the neighborhood. It is a great place.

However, I will say that with ANY neighborhood there is always a risk of some sort. Regardless of how safe you feel in your area, you should always be aware of crime.

Check out everyblock.com and it will allow you information on every police report filed in the area.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,879 times
I suggest you see the area with your own eyes and drive around a few blocks. Logan Square has some great areas, some not so great ones. Driving down Pulaski through Logan Square and into Humbolt Park will make you think Logan Square is a ghetto. Up by diverey, great shopping and the best computer store I have ever seen (microcenter). That is close to Lincoln Park. It is good to know where you are in Logan Square. It is home to Yuppies (forgive the antiquanted term) as well as street gangs. Yes, it is better than it used to be.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Actually, I do think Chicago kids would really benefit from learning more about where real food comes from. I read lots of comments here about people griping about how poor/obese folks eat too much McDonald's, etc., and getting people to understand how real food now gets processed to become "fast food" is a start to getting them properly disgusted by the whole agribusiness scam.
I understand the idea of that. However, I doubt devoting real estate on a major commercial street to grow a few apples will create any change at all. Besides, there are already a number of community gardens and the like in the city.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
However, I doubt devoting real estate on a major commercial street to grow a few apples will create any change at all.
By itself it most certainly will not - that's why the lack of a real educational program (and track record of success) sinks this for me. Way too much "trust us, we'll make this work" for such high-profile, high-value public space.

But I do think the urban farming concept is solid, and will continue to grow- there's a real hunger (pun intended) out there in the cities regarding the mysterious food industry.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
By itself it most certainly will not - that's why the lack of a real educational program (and track record of success) sinks this for me. Way too much "trust us, we'll make this work" for such high-profile, high-value public space.
Absolutely. I'm also skeptical of their promises to use the fruit grown to help fund the project, send to schools, food banks, etc. The area is pretty small for an orchard, and the yield is not going to be that great if they're using exotic species and organic methods.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Story on the "Bloomingdale Trial":

Dilapidated railway soon could become park high above city's streets - RedEye

Old 08-22-2010, 09:04 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You did not have to make a new thread to get more clarification.

We really do not need 20 different threads on Logan Square. A handful is enough.

You could have posted in the thread that is most similar to your question. I am positive there is one.

================================================== ================================

This post easily could have been put in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...area-safe.html

or this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...tting-any.html

or this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...er-square.html

or this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...an-square.html
I'm so sick of these replies telling people not to post. I agree people could use the search feature more but common, pretty much any topic covered on here is something that could be searched for.

Also, people want an answer specific to their situation. Asking if a place is safe is a totally diff question if your talking about 2 guy roomates vs 2 girl roomates, vs a married couple with grade school age kids, everyones situation is different.

Also, the search fucntion on here isn't the greatest or at least I dont know how to use it well. Often when searching threads I read the same thread 10 times or I read 10 threads relative to a neighborhod that I'm interested in but none covering the topic I asked about.

If you dont like it dont hang out on forums because any topic on this board for the most part could be found in a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago