Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Scenario #1: I witness a car accident. The more interesting part is, I also witness the driver and passenger of the car at fault switching places. When an officer arrives on the scene, I tell her about this. She doesn't seem to care. When I try to make sure she clearly understands what happened, she snaps back, "Fine, why don't you be the cop and fill out the report?" Sure, that'd be be super if it meant I got to carry a pistol around. If not, then ____you too, ___t. That'll teach me to try to lend a hand to law enforcement.

Scenario #2: My wife is driving down a narrow street that should be one-way (as in, even small cars can barely squeeze by each other) but isn't. Fortunately, a lot of cars on that street clear out during the day, leaving ample gaps for one vehicle to pull over to the curb so that the other can pass. That is, unless you're a cop. Then you can just sit there like a stubborn _____ even though you have a whole bus-length gap you can pull into so that my wife can pass. But instead you wanted to show her who's boss and what's what, so you made her back up about 80 feet to the end of the block instead of just pulling over to let her pass. But hey, at least you didn't get liquored up beat the ever-loving ___ out of her behind a bar, so congratulations on exercising at least that much self-restraint.

Are these terrible abuses of power that shattered our illusions that officers are here to protect and serve? No. Do incidents like this reinforce the stereotype of cop as power-tripping, overgrown hall monitors with guns and the willingness to make up any reason to haul you into the station just to disrupt your day? Why yes. Yes they do.

So officer, the next time you wonder why relations between you and the public are frequently strained, ask yourself if you're one of the mooks who loves to show people who's in charge just for the ____of it. Then you might get the answer to your question.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 AM

445 posts, read 1,343,853 times
Ugh, do I have a story of my own about witnessing a residential burglary... But I won't bother.

Yeah, they try to write off the disdain the public has for them as being limited to crooks, addicts and the socially maladjusted. There are a lot of painfully normal, ordinary, run-of-the-mill folk who are sick and tired of the hiring practices exhibited by the CPD and the quality of personnel that results.

I understand that a certain brusqueness and demeanor is going to result when doing that job in a city like this- and I can live with that and understand it- but the "king of the world" attitude they have is just very unsavory and the apathy so many of them show towards actually doing their jobs is ____ appalling. It's abundantly clear that the culture in the CPD is rotten as ____ You can always tell how the culture of any given department is based on the way the officers act when in public. Go to any other city- including big, dangerous ones- and the cops just don't behave as they do here in Chicago...

It isn't that they're 'misunderstood' as they so frequently like to trot out- that it's impossible for "civilians" to understand them and the job they do. Quite to the contrary, it's that they are 'understood' perfectly and the result isn't something we're pleased with. There are a lot of great men and women doing that job, but it seems they're futility outnumbered by the thugs-with-badges and retards who are so regularly encountered wearing that uniform. Until the culture is corrected and the personality-disordered are rooted out, it will continue.

I feel very, very bad for the 'good ones' and the baggage they have to carry around because of their 'brothers' who think that their community college criminal justice certificate entitles them to a degree of fawning subservience that they totally do not deserve.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Yeesh. I've long since had a bad past with the cpd.

Other than their horrific track record in law enforcement, it's the attitude I can't stand. I'm not a big believer in the social ladder but Jesus. You're just a cop. Learn your place in society and maybe do something about these crime problems we have.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM

143 posts, read 440,292 times
Just to tag onto all of your stories:
Smile, You're On Cop-Car Camera - Reason Magazine
"One night last summer Raymond Bell was pulled over by a Chicago cop and arrested for driving under the influence. Officer Joe D. Parker, a 23-year veteran, reported that upon getting out of his car, Bell was stinking of alcohol, lurching, and unable to walk a straight line or stand on one foot. ]B] MOD EDIT. CITATION; PLEASE READ THE TOS[/b]
"

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM

269 posts, read 717,142 times
Eh, there is a Chicago cop in my law school classes. He is a nice guy and has lots of really interesting stories. He works the beat that covers EGP so I would guess that its a pretty ______ stressful job.

Only interaction I've had with the CPD while they are on duty was when I got rear ended by a drunk driver. They were very helpful. I always try to cut the cops a bit of slack, never know when you'll actually need them.

Then again, I've never been profiled or pulled over for DWB so my view is a bit different than others.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

143 posts, read 440,292 times
I was pulled over for speeding once on 90, and the cop said that he had recorded me going 85 mph in a 55 zone. I disagreed. That obviously set him off. He immediately wrote 89 on a ticket and handed to me. I had to go to court. My lawyer requested discovery, and we found that the actual recording was 60 mph. The officer's last name is WHITE, a 22 year old man who behaves more like a moody teenager. What a crook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Scenario #1: I witness a car accident. The more interesting part is, I also witness the driver and passenger of the car at fault switching places. When an officer arrives on the scene, I tell her about this. She doesn't seem to care. When I try to make sure she clearly understands what happened, she snaps back, "Fine, why don't you be the cop and fill out the report?" Sure, that'd be be super if it meant I got to carry a pistol around. If not, then _____. That'll teach me to try to lend a hand to law enforcement.

Scenario #2: My wife is driving down a narrow street that should be one-way (as in, even small cars can barely squeeze by each other) but isn't. Fortunately, a lot of cars on that street clear out during the day, leaving ample gaps for one vehicle to pull over to the curb so that the other can pass. That is, unless you're a cop. Then you can just sit there like a stubborn ___ even though you have a whole bus-length gap you can pull into so that my wife can pass. But instead you wanted to show her who's boss and what's what, so you made her back up about 80 feet to the end of the block instead of just pulling over to let her pass. But hey, at least you didn't get liquored up beat the ever-loving ____ out of her behind a bar, so congratulations on exercising at least that much self-restraint.

Are these terrible abuses of power that shattered our illusions that officers are here to protect and serve? No. Do incidents like this reinforce the stereotype of cop as power-tripping, overgrown hall monitors with guns and the willingness to make up any reason to haul you into the station just to disrupt your day? Why yes. Yes they do.

So officer, the next time you wonder why relations between you and the public are frequently strained, ask yourself if you're one of the mooks who loves to show people who's in charge just for the hell of it. Then you might get the answer to your question.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM

249 posts, read 685,061 times
Boo MOD CUT hoo.

Scenario #1: As the only witness to the driver-passenger switcheroo, would you be willing to take time off work to go to court in the highly unlikely event that this "major crime" resulted in court proceedings? That's what the cop is thinking -- you're just an armchair detective, and the chances that your "eyewitness" revelation will amount to anything are slim and none.

Scenario #2: Maybe wifey should have the privilege of being forced into that maneuver by a carload of punks, with the added fear that they may jump out of the car and assault her. If she knows the treacherous conditions on this street so well, she has two choices -- don't drive on it, or drive defensively -- whether that's a squad car, an '81 Caprice Classic or a Sherman tank coming toward her.

People who have a persecution complex regarding the police are usually criminal, delusional or both. Or just spend too much time on message boards, complaining about the cops and spouting their otherwise worthless opinions.

Don't bother responding. I already have you on ignore from your "Whhhaaaaaaa!!!! The cops wrote me a ticket when my unregistered vehicle was parked on private property" rant, and only saw this diatribe because I wasn't logged in when I clicked on the thread.

Last edited by linicx; 02-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
Boo MOD CUT hoo.

Scenario #1: As the only witness to the driver-passenger switcheroo, would you be willing to take time off work to go to court in the highly unlikely event that this "major crime" resulted in court proceedings? That's what the cop is thinking -- you're just an armchair detective, and the chances that your "eyewitness" revelation will amount to anything are slim and none.

Scenario #2: Maybe wifey should have the privilege of being forced into that maneuver by a carload of punks, with the added fear that they may jump out of the car and assault her. If she knows the treacherous conditions on this street so well, she has two choices -- don't drive on it, or drive defensively -- whether that's a squad car, an '81 Caprice Classic or a Sherman tank coming toward her.

People who have a persecution complex regarding the police are usually criminal, delusional or both. Or just spend too much time on message boards, complaining about the cops and spouting their otherwise worthless opinions.

Don't bother responding. I already have you on ignore from your "Whhhaaaaaaa!!!! The cops wrote me a ticket when my unregistered vehicle was parked on private property" rant, and only saw this diatribe because I wasn't logged in when I clicked on the thread.
lol

Last edited by linicx; 02-10-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: foreign words not allowed

Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
They say people just want the cops out of their hair and hate having to deal with them -- until the one day they need a cop. An intruder breaks into their house or someone mugs them. Then the cop is their hero and they want them there as quickly as possible.

If the worst thing you can say about a big city police force is giving examples of times an officer was impolite -- which is mostly all I have heard in this thread -- that's pretty good in my book. Cry me a river. I judge the police primarily based on whether they are crooked, and fortunately instances of that seem way down over the last 40 years; and whether they stop crime, and crime is also way down over that time period. Granted, in an ideal world police would be polite all the time, and it would be smart for the department to try to improve here, and besides this the department is mismanaged and the morale of officers is often lower than it should be. So the department has a lot to work on. But performance as far as the man on the street sees, the worst thing you can say is occasionally officers are not polite? Not bad.

Last edited by meatpuff; 02-10-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,109 times
polite? as in trying to frame someone as a DUI? that man's life could have been ruined by Parker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
They say people just want the cops out of their hair and hate having to deal with them -- until the one day they need a cop. An intruder breaks into their house or someone mugs them. Then the cop is their hero and they want them there as quickly as possible.

If the worst thing you can say about a big city police force is giving examples of times an officer was impolite -- which is mostly all I have heard in this thread -- that's pretty good in my book. Cry me a river. I judge the police primarily based on whether they are crooked, and fortunately instances of that seem way down over the last 40 years; and whether they stop crime, and crime is also way down over that time period. Granted, in an ideal world police would be polite all the time, and it would be smart for the department to try to improve here, and besides this the department is mismanaged and the morale of officers is often lower than it should be. So the department has a lot to work on. But performance as far as the man on the street sees, the worst thing you can say is occasionally officers are not polite? Not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago