Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 10:05 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

Vlajos, and you are ok in my book, my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:14 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The only people that say latinx in my experience are non spanish speakers that want to be hip and "progressive". Almost all woke white people.
I don't even know how to pronounce it. "Latino" is the gender-neutral Spanish word for "latino or latina."

Old 10-20-2020, 03:42 AM

Larry Siegel, good morning.

"Latinx" would be pronounced "la-TEEN-ex".

I consider myself latino because some of my roots are from Mexico.

I wouldn't doubt it if the term, "mexicanx" (instead of mexicano) isn't the next to be created, if it hasn't already; and my ignorant self just has not yet heard it used?!?

Old 10-20-2020, 07:00 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I don't even know how to pronounce it. "Latino" is the gender-neutral Spanish word for "latino or latina."
The word is not even spanish. It was clearly created by non native spanish speakers to ease their gender guilt.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:11 AM

Vlajos, to date, I have not heard ANYONE who speaks Spanish EVER use that term!!!

And call me ignorant, but I do not use it in English nor Spanish.

Then again, I guess I am not owning up to any color guilt, gender guilt, etc.

And you know why?

Because there is nothing to feel guilty ABOUT!!!

Old 10-20-2020, 09:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Vlajos, to date, I have not heard ANYONE who speaks Spanish EVER use that term!!!

And call me ignorant, but I do not use it in English nor Spanish.

Then again, I guess I am not owning up to any color guilt, gender guilt, etc.

And you know why?

Because there is nothing to feel guilty ABOUT!!!

My experience as well. The funny thing is, the people who use this stupid word are the first to get all bent out of shape over respecting other cultures. Why don't they respect Spanish culture?

Old 10-20-2020, 09:14 AM

Vlajos, if only we could make EVERYBODY happy!!!

So getting back to that Portage Park topic, I still need to know if anyone has been to the Veteran Art Museum on Milwaukee Avenue???

Old 10-20-2020, 12:20 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The word is not even spanish. It was clearly created by non native spanish speakers to ease their gender guilt.
This, exactly. And among the Hispanics I know, I have NEVER heard a single person(regardless of age) say Latinx. Like you and others know, Spanish words generally do NOT have an x, at the end of the word. You're totally right that only a few politicians(i.e. I remember reading Ald. Carlos Ramirez-Rosa once say it) and 'woke' people, are the only ones who ever say that word. While I am a white person, I do have a lot of Hispanic friends, and I have my doubts over Latinx ever being said often in real Hispanic communities. I bet for many of them, they'll continue to say Latino instead.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:31 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Vlajos, if only we could make EVERYBODY happy!!!

So getting back to that Portage Park topic, I still need to know if anyone has been to the Veteran Art Museum on Milwaukee Avenue???

I have visited the National Veterans Art Museum. It's located on Milwaukee Ave. at the Six Corners intersection in Portage Park.

This museum is dedicated to the collection and exhibition of art inspired by combat and created by veterans. The works of art on display have been created by those who served in World War II, Korea, Viet Nam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Global War on Terrorism.

AFAIK, this is one of the few galleries in the world which focuses on war from an artistic perspective.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Nearwest, thank you for your input. I will plan to check it out as soon as it reopens. I've ridden my bicycle, and drove by it this summer. Still waiting.

Have a great afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago