Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,583 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a place to live in Chicago and I hope to be in the city at the beginning of June. I'm coming from the West suburbs (Wheaton). I will be starting a MSW program at either UIC or Loyola (Water tower campus) and my budget is around $500. I'm completely willing to rent a room because I can't afford more than that, but I'm having some trouble finding a place to live and someone to live with. Any suggestions on neighborhoods that aren't super expensive to live in, safe, and diverse (I'm african american)? Also, any ideas on how to find a roommate if renting a 2BD or 3BD?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM

209 posts, read 590,580 times
Look at the Rooms & Shares boards on Craigslist Chicago. Most of the ads there are for people looking to fill a room in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment they're already in.

If your goal is to rent a place yourself (i.e. choose the place and sign the lease yourself) and you want to find someone to go in on it with, you should check with the two schools you're considering to see if they have any kind of matching service or online board for students in a similar situation.

If diversity is a big priority for you, that narrows your choices considerably. Uptown, Edgewater, Hyde Park, Pilsen, Rogers Park, and Logan Square are what immediately come to mind. And even among these choices, some would be an easier commute to Loyola Water Tower and some would be better to commute to UIC.

Last edited by Kevin J; 03-26-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 23,190 times
Hi ChibiPsych11, I am from Dearborn, Michigan and I just got a great studio apartment in Edgewater for only $550/mo. only a block from the lake and a block and a half from the Redline El stop. I know that there are 2 studios left in the building that are each $500/month which will be available April 1. Its an award winning building, clean and quiet and I feel like I got a steal. I am moving tomorrow! Chicago here I come!!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,583 times
Thanks Kevin J and geminimoon for your feedback. I'll start checking with Loyola and UIC to see if any students either have rooms or are looking to find an apartment.

I've been looking into Edgewater and Uptown a little bit. But I had not considered Logan Square or Pilsen because I've heard that in certain areas it's not as safe. Can anyone provide some perspective for me on that?

Also, I'm going to be looking at an apartment today on 31st & Emerald Ave. Can anyone tell how that area is in terms of safety and how the people there may react to someone of a different race living there?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM

209 posts, read 590,580 times
You didn't mention safety as a priority, so I figured it wasn't a big issue for you. Parts of Logan Square can be dicey, but so are parts of Edgewater. It's often a block-by-block thing.

I have no personal experience with 31st and Emerald, but it's in the Bridgeport neighborhood which historically has not been friendly to African-Americans. I have no idea what it's like there now.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPsych11 View Post
Thanks Kevin J and geminimoon for your feedback. I'll start checking with Loyola and UIC to see if any students either have rooms or are looking to find an apartment.

I've been looking into Edgewater and Uptown a little bit. But I had not considered Logan Square or Pilsen because I've heard that in certain areas it's not as safe. Can anyone provide some perspective for me on that?

Also, I'm going to be looking at an apartment today on 31st & Emerald Ave. Can anyone tell how that area is in terms of safety and how the people there may react to someone of a different race living there?

Thanks
31st and Emerald is nice. I can vouch for it.

It's close to Halsted, and there are black people walking around there all the time. You might get some looks from your neighbors, but there isn't too much you can do about that.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM

43 posts, read 137,603 times
ChibiPsych11, I'm in a similar situation. I'll be in Chicago mid April. If you'd like, maybe we can hook up and arrange something?

PM if interested...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: