Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,948,214 times

Advertisements

Bloomingdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM

36 posts, read 121,020 times
Current:
Dunning/Belmont Heights (heavily Sicilian)
Galewood
Clearing (you'd be suprised; there's Italians by Midway airport)
Edison Park
Norwood Park/Union Ridge
O'Hare/Norwood Twnshp.

Former:
Belmont-Cragin
Montclare
Roseland-Pullman
Humboldt park
Near-North side
Austin
Parts of Englewood-Hyde Park
Heart O'Chicago
Old Irving Park
western Logan Square

I want to place Grand-Milwaukee, Bridgeport and Taylor St in a separate category. Those were once large Italian neighborhoods that now have a very small Italian minority, mainly politicians and city employees of Italian descent that stayed through the demographic changes.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
I used to go to St. Brendan School from 1973-1977. I received my first communion and confirmation at this church. My grammar school graduation was held here. I wish I had the forethought to get a picture of this building before it was torn down in August of 1989. Englewood was almost all Black by then and there was also another catholic school close by, Sacred Heart, on 71st and May. There wasn't the crime problem in Englewood then that there is now. It's extremely frightening and very very sad.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:27 AM

158 posts, read 302,664 times
In the old days I guess about 2/3 of Italians in Chicagoland lived on the West Side of the city. Their presence from Harrison Street to Roosevelt Road went from the Near West Side all to Austin. The Italian prsesence along Chicago Avenue went from Kedzie all the way to Austin and the Oak Park border. The Italian Presence was also very strong along North Avenue from Kedzie all the way to Harlem in the city then of course in Elmwood Park and Melrose Park.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Interesting that there are so many people here who personally remember the white, middle-class South and West sides. I was thinking this board was mostly a young person's game. I'm 60 but I was a little kid when those areas started to change.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Interesting that there are so many people here who personally remember the white, middle-class South and West sides. I was thinking this board was mostly a young person's game. I'm 60 but I was a little kid when those areas started to change.
North Austin North of Division didn't change until 1978-1981. South of Division Austin changed from 1965-1973. West Humboldt Park South of Division changed from 1969-1972. West Garfield Park changed in between 1955-1965, North Lawndale from 1950-1960 and East Garfield Park also in between 1950-1960. My Irish Great Grandmother on Mother's side moved out of East Garfield Park in the late 50's. My Grandmother moved out of Austin in 1971 and then out of West Humboldt Park Pulaski and North Avenue in 1981.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
In the old days I guess about 2/3 of Italians in Chicagoland lived on the West Side of the city.
Which is probably why it's so hard to find a decent pizza or beef on the North Side. I gotta go out to Narragansett to find a good beef and in my 2 years in Lincoln Square have yet to find a first rate Chicago thin pizza around here. My latest strike out was Pete's on north Western. My favorite pizza around here is a New York style place run by Chinese. I can get good New York style in St. Augustine.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,073,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I would say it has dwindled a bit...to about/close to 0% Itlaian
I want to stress again that this is absolutely incorrect. Chicago Heights isn't like Englewood. There is still a prevalent Italian population and cultural influence.. Chicago heights is actually pretty diverse with blacks, Mexicans, ethnic whites and WASPs.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Which is probably why it's so hard to find a decent pizza or beef on the North Side. I gotta go out to Narragansett to find a good beef and in my 2 years in Lincoln Square have yet to find a first rate Chicago thin pizza around here. My latest strike out was Pete's on north Western. My favorite pizza around here is a New York style place run by Chinese. I can get good New York style in St. Augustine.
Elmwood Park has the best Pizza in my view Armands and beef with Johnnies on North Avenue. Cumberland and Harlem also have some very good Piazza joints like Al's.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,767,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
Elmwood Park has the best Pizza in my view Armands and beef with Johnnies on North Avenue. Cumberland and Harlem also have some very good Piazza joints like Al's.
I used to go to Armand's and Jim and Pete's often when young but I gotta tell you, the Armand's up here on Western has possibly the worst pizza I ever had; bland and tougher than cardboard. My wife couldn't even chew it and she has a new set of choppers.

When I visit an old Elmwood Park buddy of mine who now lives in Villa Park we'll get pizza from the Armand's out there, it's pretty good. My favorite pizza was Phil's at 35th and Aberdeen but I don't get down there now. And Papa's in Bolingbrook makes an outstanding Chicago Thin, when I visit my kid out in Romeo we get from there. There's a Malnati's near me in Lincolnwood but I'm just out of their delivery area, I think Malnati's thin is very good.

Napoli's in Crescent Beach (soon my new neighborhood) south of St. Augustine on A1A is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago