Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:10 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
West Lawn, Archer Heights and West Elsdon as well. In 1990 these three community areas were close to 90% White by 2010 they were 80%, 76% and 79% Latino respectively. It appears Clearing and Garfield Ridge are following suit except near Harlem. Orland, Tinley and Palos is where the vast majority of White Southwest Siders seem to end up. Can the city workers keep the Western edge near Harlem stable or do they move to Mount Greenwood, Edison Park, Norwood Park or Oriole Park? Edgebrook, Sauganash or Beverly might be out of their price range.
I should have said "white flight from blacks." Black population growth has slowed dramatically and black migration from the South has stopped, while Hispanics, obviously, continue to arrive here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I should have said "white flight from blacks." Black population growth has slowed dramatically and black migration from the South has stopped, while Hispanics, obviously, continue to arrive here.
Are you saying the Italians are coming back? Lock the doors and hide the silverware!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Are you saying the Italians are coming back? Lock the doors and hide the silverware!
They've taken names like Chad Corleone and Trixie Corleone and are hanging out on Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Park, looking for action.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They've taken names like Chad Corleone and Trixie Corleone and are hanging out on Lincoln Avenue in Lincoln Park, looking for action.
Boardwalk Empire meets Friends... scary indeed.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Ample studies have shown that the path from low skilled immigrant to high earning fully assimilated mainstream members of society is the "normal" route and exceptions to this with crime and isolation have been overplayed by the media.

The role of various kinds of self-directed organizations that have helped immigrants has also been studied -- churches, charitable schools, fraternal societies, museums / cultural heritage groups have all been responsible for progress. People that earn more and continue to help others are key to this sort of progress. Pick up a copy of the Illinois Medical Association directory or the Illinois Attorney registry and there is no shortage of successful folks of Italians heritage.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,948,214 times
What kind of idiots fold their pizza?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,224 times
Default Senese Family

I attended 1st grade at St Mary's of Mt Carmel along with my sister and Brothers. I only remember little things as I was soo young but always heard stories from my Grandparents. ( Senese and Hubbard Family) . I remember a talent show for the school when I sang Fara Shaka . We lived 66th Winchester. This was a great neighborhood.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
I know this is old, but I went to St Brendan Catholic school, and mass on Sunday and I am black, I left Chicago in 1969 so there were blacks in the neighborhood. I lived on Racine on the other side of the park. Was not a great neighborhood, but we were fortunate enough to get out and move to South Justin st, my aunt did not allow us to go to public school. My teacher was Sister Felicitae I do not know if that is the right spelling, but I loved her, and I loved the church, they treated us with much love.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:27 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
What kind of idiots fold their pizza?
New Yorkers, and they kinda have to because it's so floppy that folding it a bit lets you keep it horizontal enough to get it into your mouth without looking like an idiot. New York style has crust that's more chewy, and not crispy the way Chicago thin crust (aka tavern style) is. When people say they "fold" the pizza, they aren't talking about completely folding it over so that it looks like some sort of weird calzone, they just mean giving the slice itself a little fold to increase the structural integrity of it as they eat it.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 689 times
Father Angelo DellaVecchia 1923 DOD 1970
Someone asked this so here is the answer.
Thank you
Barb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago