Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

Again, my recommendation was for a "pit stop" more than an overnight. If the OP truly wants to hit Michigan Ave and vintage shops in a funky neighborhood plan a SEPARATE trip to Chicago...

It is nuts to stay my O'Hare. Heck the airport hotels are EVEN MORE GENERIC than any suburb. Any one that does not appreciate that there are major differences between taking a short break on an eight hour car trip and touring Chicago is just hopeless...

Further anyone that assumes all suburbs are alike is beyond help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Again, my recommendation was for a "pit stop" more than an overnight. If the OP truly wants to hit Michigan Ave and vintage shops in a funky neighborhood plan a SEPARATE trip to Chicago...
They're from West Virgina, and the only reason they're in the midwest is to follow a band around. How would they know whether they might like to make longer, dedicated trip if they don't actually see any of the city?

Quote:
It is nuts to stay my O'Hare. Heck the airport hotels are EVEN MORE GENERIC than any suburb. Any one that does not appreciate that there are major differences between taking a short break on an eight hour car trip and touring Chicago is just hopeless...
We agree that it's nuts to stay by O'Hare. For a day-trip, staying the better part of an hour from the attractions you want to see is silly. As for pit stop vs. daytrip, the OP mentioned hotels. A stop that involves a hotel, when the inbound trip is only about a four hour drive and the outbound trip will only be about a two hour drive, is not not a pit stop - it's basically a daytrip.

Quote:
Further anyone that assumes all suburbs are alike is beyond help.
I don't "assume" all suburbs are alike, I *know*, from experience, that *most* suburbs are unremarkable, just like most neighborhoods in Chicago and every other city I've spent time in are unremarkable. Chicago has some great neighborhoods that are relatively easily traveled between and worth visiting, even for a daytrip.

There are a few suburban neighborhoods that may be of interest to travelers, but they are still secondary to the sights downtown. Old Orchard and Oakbrook malls, while relatively nice, aren't any better than outdoor malls out West where I grew up and where, due to better year-round weather, they are more common.

If the O.P. really wants to stay in the suburbs and see a relatively high-end outdoor mall, you've made two good recommendations. But if she's so concerned about dollars she can't spring for the cost of staying downtown for one night, it seems unlikely she'd enjoy spending her time at a free-to-visit-but-still-expensive-to-actually-shop-at mall.

My two cents.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,626 times
For vintage clothing shops that your daughter might like, I'd try Milwaukee Ave between Division & North Ave, or Belmont Ave between Halsted St, and Racine Ave.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Default What thread is emathias reading???

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
They're from West Virgina, and the only reason they're in the midwest is to follow a band around. How would they know whether they might like to make longer, dedicated trip if they don't actually see any of the city?

We agree that it's nuts to stay by O'Hare. For a day-trip, staying the better part of an hour from the attractions you want to see is silly. As for pit stop vs. daytrip, the OP mentioned hotels. A stop that involves a hotel, when the inbound trip is only about a four hour drive and the outbound trip will only be about a two hour drive, is not not a pit stop - it's basically a daytrip.

I don't "assume" all suburbs are alike, I *know*, from experience, that *most* suburbs are unremarkable, just like most neighborhoods in Chicago and every other city I've spent time in are unremarkable. Chicago has some great neighborhoods that are relatively easily traveled between and worth visiting, even for a daytrip.

There are a few suburban neighborhoods that may be of interest to travelers, but they are still secondary to the sights downtown. Old Orchard and Oakbrook malls, while relatively nice, aren't any better than outdoor malls out West where I grew up and where, due to better year-round weather, they are more common.

If the O.P. really wants to stay in the suburbs and see a relatively high-end outdoor mall, you've made two good recommendations. But if she's so concerned about dollars she can't spring for the cost of staying downtown for one night, it seems unlikely she'd enjoy spending her time at a free-to-visit-but-still-expensive-to-actually-shop-at mall.

My two cents.
There was NOTHING in THIS THREAD that said anything about the OP being from West Virgina or unable to afford much. They were merely looking at a map and though that WARRENVILLE might be nice diversion from their route between INDY and MILWAUKEE!!!

I happen to be pretty heavily involved in real estate and I know that the only mall that really compares with Oakbrook Center "out west" would be South Coast Plaza, which is arguably MORE high end in terms of stores as it serves as west coast home to boutiques that in Chicago have free standing stores on Michigan Ave.

Further having been to SCP several time even a sightless individual would recognize that Oakbrook Center is more relaxing with its fountains and setting. The cost of a well prepared lunch from any of the resturants at Oakbrook Center is no more than the over priced crap served at the Oasis with their Blagojevich kick-back contracts.

If I / some one suggested Woodfield Mall, which is way out of the way for a trip to Milwaukee from Indy or even Northbrook Court, which is pretty run of the mill in terms of size and offerings I might understand how some city loving fanatic might think it was not worth the stop, but only a pretty jaundiced individual would suggest that if one cannot make it into Chicago that they best thing to do is simply drive straight through the region...

Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
Thank you so much everyone, for the thoughtful replies. We basically have a day to burn, which is the reason for the stop (we're following a concert tour). I think I've decided on Warrenville, IL. I know nothing about the town but it looked decently outside the city and only about 1.5 hours from Milwaukee.

I have to be honest, I'm a little afraid of Chicago because it's so big. I'm not sure why I feel this way. Granted, I now live in Morgantown, WV (which is small) but I'm from Pittsburgh and used to urban environments. I do have GPS on my side so I think I'm going to spend the day in Chicago taking in the sights then drive to Warrenville for the night.

Quote:
There was NOTHING in THIS THREAD that said anything about the OP being from West Virgina or unable to afford much. They were merely looking at a map and though that WARRENVILLE might be nice diversion from their route between INDY and MILWAUKEE!!!

I happen to be pretty heavily involved in real estate and I know that the only mall that really compares with Oakbrook Center "out west" would be South Coast Plaza, which is arguably MORE high end in terms of stores as it serves as west coast home to boutiques that in Chicago have free standing stores on Michigan Ave.

Further having been to SCP several time even a sightless individual would recognize that Oakbrook Center is more relaxing with its fountains and setting. The cost of a well prepared lunch from any of the resturants at Oakbrook Center is no more than the over priced crap served at the Oasis with their Blagojevich kick-back contracts.

If I / some one suggested Woodfield Mall, which is way out of the way for a trip to Milwaukee from Indy or even Northbrook Court, which is pretty run of the mill in terms of size and offerings I might understand how some city loving fanatic might think it was not worth the stop, but only a pretty jaundiced individual would suggest that if one cannot make it into Chicago that they best thing to do is simply drive straight through the region...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:00 AM

818 posts, read 2,172,466 times
Quote:
Post #5 reads as follows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
Thank you so much everyone, for the thoughtful replies. We basically have a day to burn, which is the reason for the stop (we're following a concert tour). I think I've decided on Warrenville, IL. I know nothing about the town but it looked decently outside the city and only about 1.5 hours from Milwaukee.

I have to be honest, I'm a little afraid of Chicago because it's so big. I'm not sure why I feel this way. Granted, I now live in Morgantown, WV (which is small) but I'm from Pittsburgh and used to urban environments. I do have GPS on my side so I think I'm going to spend the day in Chicago taking in the sights then drive to Warrenville for the night.
Also, how did this thread become primarily about shopping? I understand there was mention of vintage T-shirt shops later on in the thread, but I was under the impression that the OP primarily wanted to do some sightseeing in the city, maybe check out some attractions. I guess my question would be what about the city of Chicago is intimidating? Specifically whether or not it is the crowds. Summerfest in Milwaukee is usualy at the same time as the Taste of Chicago festival downtown. It is always very crowded, but you can get a chance to try a lot of different things from Chicago all at once, including deep dish pizza and all the other foods people from out of town usually associate with the city. From there, it is not too far from Navy Pier, the Field Museum/ Shedd Aquarium, or the Hancock Building (in different directions).

Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Chet, I appreciate the full throated defense of the tranquil setting provided at Oak Brook Center, I really do.

But its ridiculous.

These people have an off day, they were planning on staying in Warrenville and driving into the city. We're saying just to stay in the city, its easier that way. As nice as Oak Brook Mall may be (and there are fountains!), its still a mall in the middle of suburban America, while a beautiful city to explore remains just a few miles east (with nicer fountains!).

If you have one day in a city you've never seen, would you honestly prefer to spend it in a mall on the outskirts?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:24 PM

I think it is silly that they would be afraid of staying in Chicago. It would be foolish to try to stay overnight in Warrenville or Oak Brook or any other suburb if their desire is to spend a full day in Chicago.

Staying near O'Hare is as bad / worse as the costs and / or crumminess of the hotels that serve the airport is the worst of all situations.

I completely missed the part about them being from Morgantown WV, don't really see how that is relavent, as my suggestions would be same:

If you are going to stay overnight to see Chicago make that a separate trip involves staying at a hotel near the traditional attractions of Chicago.

If you want to get out of the car and stretch you legs it would be hard to find a better excuse than to do so at the way point I suggested.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM

49 posts, read 92,971 times
Wow! Thank you all so much for the help.

(p.s. money isn't an issue - the intent is to waste a day in between shows)

Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM

49 posts, read 92,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I guess my question would be what about the city of Chicago is intimidating?
I should clarify. I don't necessary find Chicago itself intimidating - it's more of a lack of confidence in my driving/navigation skills. I work for the federal government and travel to DC often so I imagine I'll manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago