Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,201,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It says "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags"
Our RIGHTEOUSNESS! We are not CLOSE to being like God! His fire and purity is WAY beyond ours!

But, if you have children that are supposed to be imitating you (remember the fruits) you will have JOY when you see them TRYING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,115,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Well thanks for admitting something that I am truing to get across the whole time: that Gods attributes have to make sense (and being punished for bad deeds and revarded for good deeds makes sense), or he is arbitrary and therefore untrustworthy.

Your offer is kind, but I'll decline for now. I am still learning.
I agree with you. All my Christian life, which is over 30 years, I've hardly ever heard preachers or teachers or anyone warning Christians that they will have to account for their deeds. It's mentioned in passing, but watered down. I think we'll be held more accountable and judged more harshly than people who sinned and didn't even know what they were doing was a sin. Look at how mad Jesus got at the self-righteous Pharisees.

I hope you'll continue seeking and learning. "You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart." Seek HIM, not religion. God bless!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
We are not CLOSE to being like God! His fire and purity is WAY beyond ours!
Did someone claim otherwise? I know I didn't.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,201,727 times
Quote:
The parable is about 'fruits of the spirit' which is the a mark of someone who has the Holy Spirit in him. Christ says of Christians "you will know them by their fruit", so the fruit symbolizes faith The meaning of the parable is to say that those without faith/mark will burn in the fire prepared for the devil and his angels. You will bear the mark as soon as you accept Christ into your life, whether or not you do any of the mentioned works.
The "FIRE" is for SPIRITUAL beings, yes? It is PURE! What will that do to corrupt beings?

Quote:
Did someone claim otherwise? I know I didn't.
Why did you clip out the rest? Our "righteousness" IS as "filthy rags," meaning we are contaminated by this world and it's motivations, mostly. Our good works don't come from a PURE HEART with PERFECT intentions, like God's does. None of us on this planet can do that all the time.

But, we can do good works, which God will bless and reward.

If you are saying that the world's good works are not going to save them, then I would agree. None our works save us. They cannot make us Holy.

If I misunderstood you, I am sorry.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:47 PM

365 posts, read 512,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
Well, I've made it no secret that I occasionally frequent tentmaker.org, and one article that I particularly enjoy is here:
Honest Questions and Answers about Hell

and includes this question:

If Hell is real how could the Apostle Paul (who was especially commissioned by God to preach the gospel to the nations) say that he had declared the entire counsel of God (Acts 20:27), when indeed he never warned of "Hell" in any of his letters? If Hell is real, wouldn't Paul, of all people, warn of it repeatedly?

Any thoughts?

blessings,
brian
Read my other post that I posted in another tread. I show biblically that there was never a "hell" taught in the bible.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/14576848-post132.html

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
If you read the verses above those you mentioned, you will find that the fire mentioned elsewhere in the bible is, again, the Lord Himself. UR never says there's no punishment, and we don't claim to know what exactly it is, but it will be JUST.

5All this is evidence that God's judgment is right, and as a result you will be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are suffering. 6God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power 10on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.
Do you people not understand the concept of eternal destruction away from the presence of God and from the glory of His power. Away from the presence of God refers to having no relationship with God. Fire refers to judgment. With reference to 2 Thess 1 when the Lord returns, unbelievers will be judged with eternal destruction away from the presence of God. It is described in Matthew 25:41 as the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.

Here now. I will post both passages together.

Matthew 25:41 ''Then He will also say to those on His left, ''Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels. 46) ''And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

2 Thess 1:7 ''and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire (judgment) 9) dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9) And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10) when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and be marveled at among all who have believed...

Different passages describing the same event. It is the baptism of fire, in which all tribulational unbelievers are cast into the eternal fire when Christ returns at the end of the tribulation. It is the event which was prophesied by John the Baptist in Matthew 3:12.

DOCTRINE OF THE BAPTISM OF FIRE « Bible Prophecy For Today

What Is the Baptism of Fire? : ChristianCourier.com

#3 Baptized with the Holy Spirit and Fire (3:15-18) -- JesusWalk

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-11-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 PM

365 posts, read 512,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Matthew 25:41 ''Then He will also say to those on His left, ''Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels. 46) ''And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

We must let the Bible explain itself. Sodom and Gomorah were destroyed with everlasting, or eternal, fire (Jude 7), and that fire turned them "into ashes" as a warning to "those that after should live ungodly." 2 Peter 2:6. These cities are not burning today!!! The fire went out after everything was burned up. Likewise, everlasting fire will go out after it has turned the wicked to ashes (Malachi 4:3). The effects of the fire are everlasting, but not the burning itself.

The term "for ever, eternal, everlasting" as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended.

Besides, if the lost lived forever in an "hellfire", that would mean Satan was telling the truth in Genesis 3 when he said, "You shall surely not die"! And that would mean the lost also receive access to the tree of life and are given immortality when Jesus returns.. But that contradicts the bible!!!!

The word "eternal" in Mat 25:41 is the Koine Greek word "aionios" which is derived from the noun "aion" which means an "age" or "era". The word itself leaves the time limit of the age undefined.

There are classical Greek words that do stand for endless, but such words aren't used in the NT.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 PM

223 posts, read 303,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
We must let the Bible explain itself. Sodom and Gomorah were destroyed with everlasting, or eternal, fire (Jude 7), and that fire turned them "into ashes" as a warning to "those that after should live ungodly." 2 Peter 2:6. These cities are not burning today!!! The fire went out after everything was burned up. Likewise, everlasting fire will go out after it has turned the wicked to ashes (Malachi 4:3). The effects of the fire are everlasting, but not the burning itself.

The term "for ever, eternal, everlasting" as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended.

Besides, if the lost lived forever in an "hellfire", that would mean Satan was telling the truth in Genesis 3 when he said, "You shall surely not die"! And that would mean the lost also receive access to the tree of life and are given immortality when Jesus returns.. But that contradicts the bible!!!!

The word "eternal" in Mat 25:41 is the Koine Greek word "aionios" which is derived from the noun "aion" which means an "age" or "era". The word itself leaves the time limit of the age undefined.

There are classical Greek words that do stand for endless, but such words aren't used in the NT.
Tony

You are spot on again!! I used the SODOM example on another thread here on hell.

I would NOT be happy in Heaven if we know KOOTIE is burning in HELL'S FIRES for ever and ever would you?

Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Since Paul didn't mention eternal torment, he was most likely one of the ones you would refer to as one who won't face reality. That would mean you think he's alienated from the truth and he will find out about hell the hard way. If I believed that, I would think twice about paying any attention to the books he wrote, since he could have been deceived in other ways, too.

It's obvious from the ET posters that they don't have any answer to why Paul never warned of hell.
Do not make foolish assumptions about what I think.

Lady, you deliberately twist and distort the truth to your own purpose. Paul describes the fate of tribulational unbelievers in 2 Thess 1.

2 Peter 3:15-16 'and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:58 PM

223 posts, read 303,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Do not make foolish assumptions about what I think.

Lady, you deliberately twist and distort the truth to your own purpose. Paul describes the fate of tribulational unbelievers in 2 Thess 1.

2 Peter 3:15-16 'and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
Mike.

Is GOD able to Completly destroy the lost in hell fires and then extinguish the fires when their soul die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity