Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
It's not that I care about what "others" do with their money. I care what the RELIGIOUS do with their money. That statue is the OPPOSITE of what Jesus is all about.

When those that say they are following Christ and His ways (looking after the poor, widowed, orphaned, illegal aliens, OUTSIDERS, etc.) build fancy buildings and huge statues (idols) of Jesus around the planet.........Well, Jesus is not impressed. Not the one I know, anyway.

$250,000 grand could have bought a couple of homeless families places to live. There were hundreds of better ways to use that money than to build a statue of the one who had pity on the POOR and LOST. It is a bit of a mockery to me. I know the religious don't really understand what they look like to outsiders, but they look pretty foolish a lot of the time.

(That thing looks like it is coming from the depths of some terrible place looking for help, or sinking in quicksand. I can't really tell).
Again stop judging others. Let God be the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,202,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

It's okay to speak up when others are suffering around the world because of religious foolishness.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,734 times
Actually, the statues of Jesus collasped to illustrate the failure of the Jesus that can't save everyone.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

159 posts, read 175,209 times
Quote:
Well, I think the Judge showed quite plainly what he thought about that thing....

Old 06-16-2010, 11:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,207,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm a very commited Christian and I cringed every time I drove by that statue. The bible is very clear on making images of God. It's prohibited, plain and simple. Those who would make such an image, I just don't know what they are thinking.
Maybe they were hoping you would stop your car, get out and kneel.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,760,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by python87 View Post
Well, I think the Judge showed quite plainly what he thought about that thing....
Exactly! If that's not a sign.... I dont know what it...

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wasn't quite sure where I should post this article. I'm not an Atheist, but I don't believe in most of the teachings of organized religions.

Anyway, I read this on Yahoo today and the first thought that entered my so-called mind was "I wonder how many families $250,000 would feed?"

"Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation, and they spent about $250,000 to finance it."

6-story Jesus statue in Ohio struck by lightning - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_re_us/us_lightning_strikes_jesus_statue - broken link)

The Bible says

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them."

Since it was struck by lightening and burned down, I reckon we could classify it as "An Act of God" (like the insurance companies do).

Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,044,977 times
Maybe it was just a coincidence and whether it was a ferris wheel, a Jesus statue, a barn, or a tower, it was the tallest thing in the area and lightening hit it first. Not everything means something other than just what it is.

Since it was struck by lightening and burned down, I reckon we could classify it as "An Act of God"- Does God hate trailer parks, too? Or is that due to envoronmental and meteorlogical facotrs that trouble happens there?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
Maybe it was just a coincidence and whether it was a ferris wheel, a Jesus statue, a barn, or a tower, it was the tallest thing in the area and lightening hit it first. Not everything means something other than just what it is.

Since it was struck by lightening and burned down, I reckon we could classify it as "An Act of God"- Does God hate trailer parks, too? Or is that due to envoronmental and meteorlogical facotrs that trouble happens there?
Well, I was kidding about it being "An Act of God" - just to clarify.

Heartsong

Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,407,412 times
How much money do you have? What would that feed? Why concerned with these guys? What about you? There is so much impression with quantity. Kill one guy, no one cares; kill 2000 and it is a big deal. What do you all blow money on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity