Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,379,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You asked me a question to which you stated "you already know the answer".....then why in the hell are you asking me again, if your mind's already made up? Brian....it's too late in the hour, okay. Play your games with somebody else.........I HAVE WORK TO DO! You got a problem with praying? How else are you suppose to talk to God? PRAY HARDER!

PS: If I was you, I would get my eyes off of the... how you put it...."self-made Christians", the "righteous Christians", the "arrogant Christians", and "whoever else" you deemed them to be, and fasten them to lost, the hopeless, the hurting, the weary, the hungry, the tired. It's for these that He came. If that's your assignment, by all means keep pointing YOUR finger, but word of advice, GO STAND IN THE MIRROR while you're doing it! I too have an assignment and your wasting my time! REALLY!
You're right, Betsey. Thank you. We all need to pay attention to HIM, not to the confusion in the world.
Sorry for bothering you.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Or: that which believes has life. That which doesn't believe perishes.
Believes in what?...that they have life?.....are you saying....it doesn't matter if you say you have life, without Christ, and live...eternally?

Quote:
Just remove the ambiguous 3rd party from the equation.
Which one is the 3rd party?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I'm not sure which sentence you think is human emotion. If it's the part about setting someone on fire for eternity not being fair, it's a fact and not an emotion. If you don't believe me, I suggest that you go stick your palm on the hot stove eye for a minute or two and see if the pain is an emotion or a fact. If it, in fact, hurts, try to imagine being forced to leave it there not just for a minute or two, and not just your hand, but your whole body, and not just for a week or two, or a year or two, but forever, and try to determine if it would be an emotion or a fact, that it's not fair. ET'ers don't really think it through. They just say, "Oh God is so holy and just!! He's going to torture people forever! He's so loving and kind and just and holy! He can't look upon sin. Oh no! That would be too hard for him to do. So instead he's so good that he's going to let people burn and burn and burn some more, and then burn forever! I love him so much! "

Come on people! Setting someone ablaze WOULD NEVER, WILL NEVER, COULD NEVER be fair or love in any way whatsoever. If you think God is going to do that, IMO, you do not KNOW the true and living God.

P.S. Before I'm reprimanded, I confess that I know there's no bible verse that says, "Stick your hand on the hot stove and you'll see that pain is a fact and not an emotion, and you'll understand why setting someone on fire for eternity is not fair."
Yes; in fact, I believe that even "ETers" don't believe in eternal torment. They know deep down that God is a Good God. That's why they don't tell people at funerals that their lost ones are in hell burning forever. It's just plain cruel. And they know it, and they know that God is love, not a tyrant.

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Or: that which believes has life. That which doesn't believe perishes.

Just remove the ambiguous 3rd party from the equation.
I believe you're on to something here!

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
BHFT,

Who ever said the tormented will feel physical pain?
Most of the people who believe in eternal torment/torture.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Yes; in fact, I believe that even "ETers" don't believe in eternal torment. They know deep down that God is a Good God. That's why they don't tell people at funerals that their lost ones are in hell burning forever. It's just plain cruel. And they know it, and they know that God is love, not a tyrant.

Blessings,
brian
When I believed in a literal lake of fire, I knew several people who died who, IMO, were probably not "saved." None of these people were close to me, so I didn't freak out over it. I just thought maybe they said that little prayer at one time and it counted, or they had a silent death bed confession or something.

I remember when one of my husband's favorite co-workers died in a motorcycle wreck. It was instant and there would not have been time for any death bed confession. Even though he didn't live like a Christian, I hoped he was saved somewhere in his heart, but my husband said he didn't think that was likely.

Two or three years later I visited my husband at work and there was a picture on the wall of his friend smiling. For a second, I thought if he were really in hell, he was no longer smiling and he had been burning all these years while we just continued to go along living our everyday lives - unchanged by the fact that he was suffering continually as we watched tv, went out to dinner, and while his co-workers walked past his photo and did their jobs. I just switched off that thought as quickly as possible. I wonder now how I could have thought God would do that to him, but most of all, I wonder how I could not have been totally brokenhearted by this!! What's up with that? How can people really believe in ET and not be 100% brokenhearted all the time? Are some 100% hard-hearted and it's too hard to break? IMO, it's denial or hard-heartedness - one or the other. I think in my heart of hearts I didn't truly deep down believe God would torment people forever, but the teaching had my brain kind of zombied out so that I didn't realize it.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Blessings,
brian
I can't speak for everyone, but I really do believe in hell. I'm not lying. Yes, God is a good God and He is love. Hells existence does not change that. I am not going to argue this.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,450,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Sometimes asking people questions and debating with them (even when we already know the answers) helps them open their eyes. Sometimes...

Jesus was good at it.

Well guess what....I'm no__________ , (fill in the blank) my eye's are already opened, OPENED TO UR LIES!!! UR won't be converting me any time soon! Word of advice, leave the converting to the Holy Spirit. UR could never fill those shoes. UR threading on thin ice........

PS: Yes, Jesus was good at it, but remember, for everything God does....... SATAN also has a counterfeit!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
When I believed in a literal lake of fire, I knew several people who died who, IMO, were probably not "saved." None of these people were close to me, so I didn't freak out over it. I just thought maybe they said that little prayer at one time and it counted, or they had a silent death bed confession or something.

I remember when one of my husband's favorite co-workers died in a motorcycle wreck. It was instant and there would not have been time for any death bed confession. Even though he didn't live like a Christian, I hoped he was saved somewhere in his heart, but my husband said he didn't think that was likely.

Two or three years later I visited my husband at work and there was a picture on the wall of his friend smiling. For a second, I thought if he were really in hell, he was no longer smiling and he had been burning all these years while we just continued to go along living our everyday lives - unchanged by the fact that he was suffering continually as we watched tv, went out to dinner, and while his co-workers walked past his photo and did their jobs. I just switched off that thought as quickly as possible. I wonder now how I could have thought God would do that to him, but most of all, I wonder how I could not have been totally brokenhearted by this!! What's up with that? How can people really believe in ET and not be 100% brokenhearted all the time? Are some 100% hard-hearted and it's too hard to break? IMO, it's denial or hard-heartedness - one or the other. I think in my heart of hearts I didn't truly deep down believe God would torment people forever, but the teaching had my brain kind of zombied out so that I didn't realize it.
What a post!
I think a part of the mentality of ET also says that "you only have this life to choose."

Somehow, I just don't see where God is limited by time! Even if I believe there is a hell (like CantWait2Leave) I can perfectly believe that any soul who began to "fall" into this abyss, in fear crying out to the Lord, would be taken up again in His loving arms.
He has a way of saving which is beyond words! It's not "lovey dovey" and "warm fuzzy," it's called POWER. And His Love has Power folks! I just know it!

And please note, I'm NOT saying, "go ahead and sin." That would be like telling someone to hurt themselves! The message is always Jesus, folks.
What I am saying, is, if some don't make it now, they'll make it in later! The prodigal son will return!

Blessings,
brian

Last edited by ahigherway; 06-23-2010 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,958,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Well guess what....I'm no__________ , (fill in the blank) my eye's are already opened, OPENED TO UR LIES!!! UR won't be converting me any time soon! Word of advice, leave the converting to the Holy Spirit. UR could never fill those shoes. UR threading on thin ice........

PS: Yes, Jesus was good at it, but remember, for everything God does....... SATAN also has a counterfeit!

Yep, counterfeit love will say that God can't save everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity