Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,737,830 times

Advertisements

DEARBORN, MICHIGAN -- Three Christians were arrested today at the Arab International Festival as they shared their faith with Muslims. The three were arrested by police as they engaged in intense, but respectful dialog in which they proclaimed their faith in Christ.

Three Christians arrested in outreach to Muslims in Dearborn, Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,609,678 times
Good

Arrogant proselytizing (yes you can be civil yet very arrogant) and part of the so called "freedom of religion" this country was founded on also includes "freedom from religion"

Your religion should be treated like your genitals is not to be 'brought out' in public, and especially never forced upon anyone, keep it private.

PS: had this been the other way around, religion wise, or any combination you can think of, I would say the same thing!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,212,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DEARBORN, MICHIGAN -- Three Christians were arrested today at the Arab International Festival as they shared their faith with Muslims. The three were arrested by police as they engaged in intense, but respectful dialog in which they proclaimed their faith in Christ.

Three Christians arrested in outreach to Muslims in Dearborn, Michigan

If they were just hanging out having a discussion with these people they should not have been arrested. If they were shouting their message and harrassing these people at their festival then, yes, I can see how arresting them would make sense.

I read an article awhile back (and I think it was about Michigan) that spoke of some push for the Muslims to be able to have their Mosques fill the neighborhoods with the call to prayer, 5 TIMES A DAY, starting at dawn. If that happened in my neighborhood I think I would freak out. THAT would be a true disturbance of the peace, in my humble opinion.

I believe the town council did allow them to broadcast, in the end. It's some small town in Michigan.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,637,956 times
Seems they were having this discussion on a public street outside the festival? These arrests were way out of line.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,212,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Seems they were having this discussion on a public street outside the festival? These arrests were way out of line.
Uh-oh......

You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to start a religion, plant my building next to their Mosques, and starting at midnight and repeating every 2 hours I'm going to play the call to dance.

Seriously, though, this is bad news.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,543,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
If they were just hanging out having a discussion with these people they should not have been arrested. If they were shouting their message and harrassing these people at their festival then, yes, I can see how arresting them would make sense.

I read an article awhile back (and I think it was about Michigan) that spoke of some push for the Muslims to be able to have their Mosques fill the neighborhoods with the call to prayer, 5 TIMES A DAY, starting at dawn. If that happened in my neighborhood I think I would freak out. THAT would be a true disturbance of the peace, in my humble opinion.

I believe the town council did allow them to broadcast, in the end. It's some small town in Michigan.
I did some research on this a while back. I don't remember exactly where, but in some locality in Michigan they do have the call to prayer. The people voted on it and approved it. The populaton is majority Moslem. Any alarm bells going off?

Also, the Dearborn incident. They were eventually told they could not pass out their literature within five blocks of the festival. And those blocks were public streets. It is against Sharia to evangelize to a Moslem. The police were upholding Sharia law.

From what I saw of the footage, they were just handing out pamphlets to people who took them as they passed by.

Five blocks, y'all. Any alarm bells going off?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:05 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,099,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Good

Arrogant proselytizing (yes you can be civil yet very arrogant) and part of the so called "freedom of religion" this country was founded on also includes "freedom from religion"

Your religion should be treated like your genitals is not to be 'brought out' in public, and especially never forced upon anyone, keep it private.

PS: had this been the other way around, religion wise, or any combination you can think of, I would say the same thing!

I agree 100%.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,044,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I agree 100%.
Me too. If you don't want to get stung, don't go around poking a hornet's nest. Well, that's not the best analogy, but hopefully it is close enough to make the point.

Consider this setting: A Sunday morning Baptist church service is going on. The organ is playing, when suddenly in walk a group of Muslims wearing headscarves and hollering Allah Akbar! Then they sit down. Wonder how the church folk would react?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,543,362 times
Not quite the same thing. No one was hollering anything. And this was on a public street, not in a mosque.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,430,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Me too. If you don't want to get stung, don't go around poking a hornet's nest. Well, that's not the best analogy, but hopefully it is close enough to make the point.

Consider this setting: A Sunday morning Baptist church service is going on. The organ is playing, when suddenly in walk a group of Muslims wearing headscarves and hollering Allah Akbar! Then they sit down. Wonder how the church folk would react?
I was in a meeting once in England to hear a visiting missionary , when some guy(a christian) stood up and challenged what she was saying , she responded by calling on all at the meeting to speak in tongues against the guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity