Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Now, after spending some time on this forum, I would say that I have a much better understanding of your mindset. I would also say that the more I understand how you see things and where you are coming from - the more accepting and understanding I can be toward you. I know the same cannot necessarily be said of your feelings toward me - but I'm okay with that! My personal goal is to be more accepting and understanding of everyone - but I am aware that that is my goal and not everyone else's.

So - my question is this. If you died and came face to face with God - and he welcomed everyone into the Kingdom of Heaven - would you be upset? Perhaps being in the presence of God washed away our sins and set our souls free. Perhaps all of our anger, hatred, prejudice, jealousy, etc. melted away and all that was left was love. Being that all that was left in us was pure love, we would all be allowed to join God in heaven. Wouldn't that be a good thing?

I understand that you think UR is a lie and a falsehood - but I guess I just think there are things that we just don't know for sure. What if we are all wrong. Would you be happy knowing that we would all be with God - or would be be upset that you were wrong and that people weren't going to be punished.

Just a thought. There are no wrong answers - only answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Now, after spending some time on this forum, I would say that I have a much better understanding of your mindset. I would also say that the more I understand how you see things and where you are coming from - the more accepting and understanding I can be toward you. I know the same cannot necessarily be said of your feelings toward me - but I'm okay with that! My personal goal is to be more accepting and understanding of everyone - but I am aware that that is my goal and not everyone else's.

So - my question is this. If you died and came face to face with God - and he welcomed everyone into the Kingdom of Heaven - would you be upset? Perhaps being in the presence of God washed away our sins and set our souls free. Perhaps all of our anger, hatred, prejudice, jealousy, etc. melted away and all that was left was love. Being that all that was left in us was pure love, we would all be allowed to join God in heaven. Wouldn't that be a good thing?

I understand that you think UR is a lie and a falsehood - but I guess I just think there are things that we just don't know for sure. What if we are all wrong. Would you be happy knowing that we would all be with God - or would be be upset that you were wrong and that people weren't going to be punished.

You mean like...er...umm..."The Prodigal Son"?...hmmm... Jesus seemed to have explained that in this imagery...what do you think?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
While I am not anymore of the ET conviction, it is my personal opinion that those who believe in this doctrine desire some type of revenge against other people that they do not like. When I believed in ET, I hated just about everybody. Only my "group" was acceptable. The idea of "sinners" in my group bothered me. (Maybe I bothered myself, deep down?)

Just my 2c.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
You mean like...er...umm..."The Prodigal Son"?...hmmm... Jesus seemed to have explained that in this imagery...what do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
While I am not anymore of the ET conviction, it is my personal opinion that those who believe in this doctrine desire some type of revenge against other people that they do not like. When I believed in ET, I hated just about everybody. Only my "group" was acceptable. The idea of "sinners" in my group bothered me. (Maybe I bothered myself, deep down?)

Just my 2c.

Blessings,
brian
Our 2 cents hit "submit reply" at the same exact time... Isn't that something...?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Our 2 cents hit "submit reply" at the same exact time... Isn't that something...?
Feels like a video game!.. How ridiculous...

Blessings!
brian

Old 07-20-2010, 03:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: deleted

And no, I really don't care how God operates. Why do UR folk think the rest of us are bent on vengence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Just my 2c.

Blessings,
brian
Could it be that you did not have the Holy Spirit working in your life? Hate is not a fruit of the Spirit. Funny, I am not of the UR crowd and neither are any of my Christian friends and family. None of them or myself "hate everybody". I do hate Tomatos tho.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-20-2010 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nice to know that you are morally superior than non UR folk.

And no, I really don't care how God operates. Why do UR folk think the rest of us are bent on vengence?

Could it be that you did not have the Holy Spirit working in your life? Hate is not a fruit of the Spirit. Funny, I am not of the UR crowd and neither are any of my Christian friends and family. None of them or myself "hate everybody". I do hate Tomatos tho.
Well, the Holy Spirit is indeed quenched by hate. I've seen holy ghost preachers preaching hate, I've seen "spirit filled" believers condemning others to hell..
I know what being baptized in the holy ghost is, and I know what hate is. And I now know that satan has not been cast out of heaven completely yet.

Blessings,
brian

Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM

134 posts, read 891,565 times
Hi Dewdrop-

As you may know from some of my previous postings not only do I not believe in Eternal Torment, I don't believe in any kind of Heaven or Hell. Just like you though, I have always been curious to study the Christian faith amongst others.

The way I read it is that for those that do believe in Eternal Torment, most of their preaching is to warn us, not condemn us. So, I feel that if they saw us in Heaven and realized that they were wrong they wouldn't be upset or angry but rather pleased and happy for us. The only exceptions would be if they spotted the most vile, most wicked of individuals there as well or anyone who intentionally caused them harm. (So much for "Christian Love" )

Old 07-20-2010, 03:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Moderator cut: Reference to "orphaned" comment/reply. All I meant to say is that - given what I believe- I can accept everyone the way that they are. I understand that if you believe in ET - you cannot accept me the way that I am. You feel that it is your duty to try and get me to believe what you believe. I am begining to understand that this is not malicious or cruel - it's just what you believe in your heart.

If you go back and read my OP - I don't talk about ET folk having hate in their heart. I never said that you hated anybody. Please, reread my post - if it is any way shape or form implying that ET folk are bad people - that was not my intention. I was just asking a simple question of if you would rejoice if you found out that you were wrong or if you would be disappointed. There is no malicious intent in this question. I am not a UR person - I'm a Heatherist. I have my own beliefs - that most would see as heathenistic. I am so often asked how I'll feel if I find out I'm wrong - well, I'm mostly told how sorry I'm going to be when it turns out that I AM wrong! I just thought I would ask the ET folk how they would feel if it turned out that they were wrong.

When I say that they are no wrong answers - I mean that. I don't think that anyone has all the answers. I think it is very likely that many are wrong -or even that we are all wrong. I'm not judging your answers - just curious.

I'm very sorry if I came off as thinking that I am morally superior - I simply meant to imply that I'm not looking for acceptance.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-20-2010 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned referencell I meant to say is that - given what I believe- I can accept everyone the way that they are. I understand that if you believe in ET - you cannot accept me the way that I am. You feel that it is your duty to try and get me to believe what you believe. I am begining to understand that this is not malicious or cruel - it's just what you believe in your heart.

If you go back and read my OP - I don't talk about ET folk having hate in their heart. I never said that you hated anybody. Please, reread my post - if it is any way shape or form implying that ET folk are bad people - that was not my intention. I was just asking a simple question of if you would rejoice if you found out that you were wrong or if you would be disappointed. There is no malicious intent in this question. I am not a UR person - I'm a Heatherist. I have my own beliefs - that most would see as heathenistic. I am so often asked how I'll feel if I find out I'm wrong - well, I'm mostly told how sorry I'm going to be when it turns out that I AM wrong! I just thought I would ask the ET folk how they would feel if it turned out that they were wrong.

When I say that they are no wrong answers - I mean that. I don't think that anyone has all the answers. I think it is very likely that many are wrong -or even that we are all wrong. I'm not judging your answers - just curious.

I'm very sorry if I came off as thinking that I am morally superior - I simply meant to imply that I'm not looking for acceptance.
Dewdrop93,
I think the comment was in response to me.
I personally did at one time half "believe" in ET, and I found myself beginning to hate "sinners," probably because I was also being taught that God "hates the wicked." So it became natural to hate. I saw it in me, and I saw it in many, many people around me who also believed in ET, even more than I did.
I don't believe it is possible to believe in ET and NOT hate.

Blessings,
brian

Last edited by june 7th; 07-20-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity