Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:36 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,469 times

Advertisements

People do not have a problem with God being sorry He made man but somehow they disconnect themselves from mankind and think - "How could God be sorry He made ME?"

It wont hurt us to be reminded that we are all made of the same stuff...we're ALL! man!

God was sorry He made man - that is why he drowned them...like rats!...and if you don't believe me...just read on...(don't hate the messenger...and don't hate the Message...nor Whom it is speaking!)

Gen 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, 'for I am sorry that I have made them.' "

And that, dear unrepentant reader, means that God is sorry He made YOU. That is why God is going to destroy you and all others who do not repent.

The more I think about this - the more I realize that the facts about God's disgust and contempt for mankind is one of the most import concepts in the Scriptures. Mankind is a stench to God - and the quicker we realize our insignificance and utter condemnation the more humble and fearful we become - and that is the beginning of wisdom.

The Good News! is God will love those who repent and love Him...the Good News! is God has made a Way...a Truth...and a Life...Who's Name is Above Every Name!!!...Jesus!...that IF! received will enable those who repent to turn from their wickedness and be changed into a new man...leaving the old man behind...walking as Jesus walked...holy and blameless on His Day!!!

Deu 5:10 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Johnathan Edwards was an important theologian in American history who understood this concept perfectly - we should read this excerpt from his sermon - "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" occasionally to remind us of the reality of God's relationship with mankind....

...(He believed in eternal torment - of course he was wrong, but that does not change the reality of our position before God.)...an excerpt from his sermon...

"...You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep..."

"...O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: it is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you, as against many of the damned in hell...and you have no interest in any Mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment..." "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" (Jonathan Edwards 1741)

Here is the entire sermon...

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/library/edwards_sinners.htm

That is the truth - How different it is from the pagan, false teachings of Modern Christianity..."God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life."

In Christ's love...prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

"...all you that never passed under a great change of heart, by the mighty power of the Spirit of God upon your souls; all you that were never born again, and made new creatures, and raised from being dead in sin, to a state of new, and before altogether unexperienced light and life, are in the hands of an angry God..."

The Rejection and scorn of God

Ps 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Ps 37:13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

Ps 53:5 There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee: thou hast put them to shame, because God hath despised them.

Ps 59:8 But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.

Prov 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

Pro 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

Ezek. 8:18. "Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity; and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet I will not hear them."

The Wrath of God

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth;

Zep 1:17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

Zep 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD'S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

Isa 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

Eze 22:31 Therefore have I poured out mine indignation upon them; I
have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

I do love you...with all of my heart...so much so, that I will not ever lie to you...no matter how much it may alienate you from me...I take full responsibility for you....and I will not leave this world having not offered God's truth to everyone God has brought into my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
People do not have a problem with God being sorry He made man but somehow they disconnect themselves from mankind and think - "How could God be sorry He made ME?"
He was sorry they were so nasty to each other; killers, violent and out of control. He didn't destroy peace-loving, hand-holding, gentle, meek, patient people.

Sometimes I was sorry I had kids when they were being awful, but I still loved them and wouldn't snuff them out for eternity just for a moment of bad behavior.

II Samuel 14:13. Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him

Quote:
God was sorry He made man - that is why he drowned them...like rats!...and if you don't believe me...just read on...(don't hate the messenger...and don't hate the Message...nor Whom it is speaking!)
Yes, he was sorry. And you can read on, but if you just read the next verse like you posted, and do not read or understand the WHOLE message of the Bible (reconciliation) then you might lose hope.

Let's get to the New Testament, shall we? You know that verse about Christ speaking to disobedient spirits who disobeyed in Noah's time???

I Peter 3: 18,19,20. For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, so he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water.

Quote:
Gen 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, 'for I am sorry that I have made them.' "
Umm....

I Peter comes after Genesis. You should really try quoting the New Testament more.

Quote:
And that, dear unrepentant reader, means that God is sorry He made YOU. That is why God is going to destroy you and all others who do not repent.
Oh!! That's the Good News I've been waiting to hear!!

Again:

II Samuel 14:13. Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him.

AND

II Corinthians 5:19. God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Finally, some Good News!!

Quote:
The more I think about this - the more I realize that the facts about God's disgust and contempt for mankind is one of the most import concepts in the Scriptures. Mankind is a stench to God - and the quicker we realize our insignificance and utter condemnation the more humble and fearful we become - and that is the beginning of wisdom.
Fear or awestruck/reverence?? There is a difference.

I believe if people had a reverence for God/good then we would have a happier and more peaceful planet to inhabit. Terror-struck folks don't really do anybody any good.

Quote:
The Good News! is God will love those who repent and love Him...the Good News! is God has made a Way...a Truth...and a Life...Who's Name is Above Every Name!!!...Jesus!...that IF! received will enable those who repent to turn from their wickedness and be changed into a new man...leaving the old man behind...walking as Jesus walked...holy and blameless on His Day!!!

Deu 5:10 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
The Good News is that Jesus (Yeshua) ROSE from the dead! And, God is not holding sins against men. Our message is one of reconciliation.

II Corinthians 5:19. God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

I Timothy 4:11. Command and teach these things!!! What things? This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers. I Timothy 4:10.

Quote:
Johnathan Edwards was an important theologian in American history who understood this concept perfectly - we should read this excerpt from his sermon - "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" occasionally to remind us of the reality of God's relationship with mankind....

"...You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep..."

"...O sinner! Consider the fearful danger you are in: it is a great furnace of wrath, a wide and bottomless pit, full of the fire of wrath, that you are held over in the hand of that God, whose wrath is provoked and incensed as much against you, as against many of the damned in hell...and you have no interest in any Mediator, and nothing to lay hold of to save yourself, nothing to keep off the flames of wrath, nothing of your own, nothing that you ever have done, nothing that you can do, to induce God to spare you one moment..." "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" (Jonathan Edwards 1741)
Uh-huh.

That's not Timothy or Paul.

Some of the people who listened to Jonathan Edward got so upset they committed suicide.

Suicide: Not a fruit of the Spirit.

Quote:
That is the truth - How different it is from the pagan, false teachings of Modern Christianity..."God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life."
Pagan teachings are Dante, Greek hells, lightning-bolt throwing gods, gods that want burnt children as sacrifices, gods that war continually, etc.

Do I believe that the sermons in modern churches are wishy-washy and don't have any real meat in them?

YES!

Pagan?

Lol. No.

Quote:

Ps 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Ps 53:5 There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee: thou hast put them to shame, because God hath despised them.

Ps 59:8 But thou, O LORD, shalt laugh at them; thou shalt have all the heathen in derision.

Prov 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

Pro 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

Ezek. 8:18. "Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity; and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet I will not hear them."
Have you ever been really angry with those you loved? Do you want them gone for eternity? Do you think you might want them back someday?

(And why wouldn't God be angry. His people were taking horrible advantage of others and following Pagan gods, even going so far as to burn their children as sacrifices!!).

Thankfully, God isn't human, and he isn't so fickle.

God mocks, and then He weeps.

From what I can tell, when the word "mock" is used in the Bible it is used to show that God is NOT going to do what the "prophets" tell the people God is going to do, or not do; either way. They thought they had God on a string.

Mirriam-Websters: MOCK~~~to disappoint the hopes of

And, he always had a plan to bring the people back.

Quote:
The Wrath of God

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth;

Zep 1:17 And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against the LORD: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

Zep 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD'S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

Isa 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

have consumed them with the fire of my wrath: their own way have I recompensed upon their heads, saith the Lord GOD.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
We already did the Genesis verse. I'll do the rest, here.

When DOES God gets really stinking mad?~~~~~

When HIS people:

1. Burn children as sacrifices.
2. Charge interest.
3. Take advantage of outsiders.
4. Abuse and pervert children.
5. Become prideful when doing the above.
6. Don't love their neighbors.
7. Use religion to intimidate and terrorize the population so they can't get closer to God.

BUT!!!

He is also SLOW to anger and does not stay angry for long. Psalm 30:5. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Quote:
I do love you...with all of my heart...so much so, that I will not ever lie to you...no matter how much it may alienate you from me...I take full responsibility for you....and I will not leave this world having not offered God's truth to everyone God has brought into my life.
I'm not sure you know what love is. I knew somebody like you, but she died not too long ago. I hope she knows what love is, now. It's kind of hard to get the love message down here.

Last edited by herefornow; 07-21-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
50,000 Reps to Herefornow for such patience and taking the time to explain God's mercy to those who have not yet grasped it -

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Well, Verna - just one more reason I will NEVER! be a Christian! Thank you!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
Quote:

It wont hurt us to be reminded that we are all made of the same stuff...we're ALL! man!

...(He believed in eternal torment - of course he was wrong, but that does not change the reality of our position before God.)...an excerpt from his sermon...

Here is the entire sermon...

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/library/edwards_sinners.htm

In Christ's love...prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.

"...all you that never passed under a great change of heart, by the mighty power of the Spirit of God upon your souls; all you that were never born again, and made new creatures, and raised from being dead in sin, to a state of new, and before altogether unexperienced light and life, are in the hands of an angry God..."

The Wrath of God

Extortion, pure and simple! (Your interpretation, that is, not the Scriptures themselves, mind you..)

Blessings,
brian

Last edited by ahigherway; 07-22-2010 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

I'm not sure you know what love is. I knew somebody like you, but she died not too long ago. I hope she knows what love is, now. It's kind of hard to get the love message down here.
Post of the day

Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Quote:
Behold the Good News of Jesus Christ, the Lord:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post

Just to address my curiosity Dewdrop: if you are not a Christian, and don't want to be one, then why bother hanging out on the Christian forum? It just seems kinda odd, (like someone who goes to the Indy 500 races, but who has no interest in racing, just as an example)

Not trying to "chase you away", because we (Christians) always have the hope that something said, or done, here on the forum will eventually change your mind...

Bud

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Verna is a sincere and loving VICTIM of the "precepts and doctrines of men." She actually defends this ugliness and evil in doctrine because she believes it is what God wants her to do. All God wants from any of us (Christian or not) is to "love God and each other," period. Loving God is revealed in a genuine concern for the moral treatment of others (real believers in cosmic accidents would have no such concerns . . . which points to the ubiquity of subconscious belief in God).

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-22-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Just to address my curiosity Dewdrop: if you are not a Christian, and don't want to be one, then why bother hanging out on the Christian forum? It just seems kinda odd, (like someone who goes to the Indy 500 races, but who has no interest in racing, just as an example)

Not trying to "chase you away", because we (Christians) always have the hope that something said, or done, here on the forum will eventually change your mind...
Bud
Christians are identified by what drives their lives, attitudes and behaviors toward others . . . NOT what they proclaim themselves to be. On that basis . . . Dewdrop is a finer Christian than many of the Bibleans and Churchians here in the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity