Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

606 posts, read 1,234,569 times

Advertisements

HI all,
I ask this question because so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ tell me that the peace sign is supposed to be a broken upside-down Cross, that is awful if that is the case. I see so many cute shirts with this peace symbol on them, but I refrain from buying these articles of clothing because I do NOT want to wear something that is so demonic if that is the case. Let me just say this, I would rather wear age old rags than to wear something that is so anti-God and revolting as an upside-down Cross. Please shed some light on this subject for me, is a peace sign anti-God aka demonic (broken upside-down Cross)? Thank you kindly in advance on this topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8palmtrees View Post
HI all,
I ask this question because so many of my brothers and sisters in Christ tell me that the peace sign is supposed to be a broken upside-down Cross, that is awful if that is the case. I see so many cute shirts with this peace symbol on them, but I refrain from buying these articles of clothing because I do NOT want to wear something that is so demonic if that is the case. Let me just say this, I would rather wear age old rags than to wear something that is so anti-God and revolting as an upside-down Cross. Please shed some light on this subject for me, is a peace sign anti-God aka demonic (broken upside-down Cross)? Thank you kindly in advance on this topic!
That's news to me and I am a fundamentalist. I believe the peace symbol orginated in England and it represented Nuclear Disarmament, the "N" and "D" in a semaphore flag signal. I believe there are connotations to this symbol that are not glorifying to God but as far as it being a sin in of itself? I don't think so. This is a matter between you and the Holy Spirit.

I learned those flag signals when I was a Crusader. It's understandable why some American Christians think this since they don't understand or even know of the semaphore flag signaling system. The world has increasingly become hostile to God and many Christians have become sensitive to these attacks sometimes too sensitive. It's just a lack of discernment and information

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-05-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
I like Fundies explination but it is an anti God symbol and has it origin in witchcraft. Dont get me wrong I am not disagreeing with Fundie but many symbols have many meanings. If you remember Peter was crucified on an upside down cross and many crucifixsions were done done on straight poles and x's therefore making the cross a manmade religious symbol and therefore has no true power, the only true power is the word of God and Christ personified this ultimately.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8palmtrees View Post
HI all,
And yet you would wear a cross, which is a symbol of death, torture, and agony? Why wouldn't you choose a symbol that fits your deity better than an execution device?

As far as the peace sign, it was developed by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and only later morphed into being used as a "peace" sign. Do you think wanting nuclear disarmament is "demonic" and evil?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I like Fundies explination but it is an anti God symbol and has it origin in witchcraft. Dont get me wrong I am not disagreeing with Fundie but many symbols have many meanings. If you remember Peter was crucified on an upside down cross and many crucifixsions were done done on straight poles and x's therefore making the cross a manmade religious symbol and therefore has no true power, the only true power is the word of God and Christ personified this ultimately.
It has NO origin in witchcraft. Don't you people ever research anything before spouting off about it being satanic?

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Quote:
I believe there are connotations to this symbol that are not glorifying to God
I wouldn't be surprised

Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It has NO origin in witchcraft.
It is a druidic symbol meaning antichrist therefore it is a symbol of witchcraft and it far older than Nuclear Disarmerment or the peace freaks.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM

428 posts, read 800,171 times
I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian household and always heard this same thing about the peace sign--that it was a broken, upside down cross. To be frank, it always has and still does have the ring of "urban legend" to me. Foolishness.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I wouldn't be surprised
Oh brother

The peace symbol was invented by Gerald Holtom, A CHRISTIAN, and a conscientious objector during WW2. The design represents an N and a D in semaphore, surrounded by the circle. His own words explain the symbology:

"I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya’s peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle round it."

That is the peace symbol. A symbol used to first represent the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and later as a universal sign of peace. Claims that it is of satanic origin are ridiculous!
The origins and the ideas behind the symbol have been clearly described, both in letters and in interviews, by Gerald Holtom and his original sketches of it are now on display as part of the Commonweal Collection in Bradford.

Satanic? Demonic? Utter and complete hogwash.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It is a druidic symbol meaning antichrist therefore it is a symbol of witchcraft and it far older than Nuclear Disarmerment or the peace freaks.
Bull sh*t. I offer facts. You offer baseless ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity