Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Sure it is a choice. Force can still be brought to you by a choice. If I submerged you in a underwater building and gave you two choice to exit the building then I still gave you the choices. So the choice you made is still within the framework I provided.
Sorry, I guess I'm not following you. If the choice is to repent and accept Jesus Christ's sacrifice on your behalf or to not repent and reject His offer of grace, one choice negates the other. We're not talking about two choices that will ultimately result in the same thing -- in your example, being able to get safely out of the submerged building.

Quote:
Now you said that ALMOST everyone will choose Him, tell me where it is that you believe God will fail to put forward the right presentation to have the rest NOT choose Him?
It has nothing to do with God's failure to do anything. It's just that I don't believe God will force anyone to make the right choice. The Bible speaks of one sin, which is said to be "unforgivable" -- either in this life or the next. I am assuming that out of the billions of people who have ever lived, a few will probably commit this sin. I can elaborate if you'd like me to. I can't possibly say for sure, but I believe it's entirely within the realm of reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,450,774 times
trettep,

I se you finally came to your senses and realized your error and that God is forcing...ie...creating robots for His glory. The core of your interpetive error. God doesn't force anyone....we surrender....freely.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"The second death is a wonderful thing." ...............

What irks me is that this isn't considered "jabbing". Imagine if a LDS person would say that the fall of man is a wonderful thing ....there would be no way to refute it. It would be considered "bashing" to quote the source AND \ OR show the Bible's opposition to it.

"The second death is a wonderful thing."

This statement is against my Lutheran confessions, and I find it covertly offensive and attacking in nature.
The comment "The second death is a wonderful thing" is so far out there, that I don't think the person who made it was being serious.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I do believe almost everyone will eventually choose Him, but I don't believe it will be because they are forced to. If they were forced to, it wouldn't really be a choice.
If everyone will choose him, then why does the mormon church hold rituals to 'save' dead unbelievers?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If everyone will choose him, then why does the mormon church hold rituals to 'save' dead unbelievers?
Finn, we do not believe that any ritual will save unbelievers. Every individual must choose for himself what he wants to believe and whether he wants to repent of his sins. What we do is offer baptism by proxy for those who did not have the opportunity to receive it during their lifetimes, since we believe baptism is required of all human beings. If you would like a more in-depth answer, please read my posts #156 and #158 in the Are denominations in keeping with God's will? thread. Then, if you have further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,050,069 times
Quote:
Sorry, I guess I'm not following you. If the choice is to repent and accept Jesus Christ's sacrifice on your behalf or to not repent and reject His offer of grace, one choice negates the other. We're not talking about two choices that will ultimately result in the same thing -- in your example, being able to get safely out of the submerged building.

It has nothing to do with God's failure to do anything. It's just that I don't believe God will force anyone to make the right choice. The Bible speaks of one sin, which is said to be "unforgivable" -- either in this life or the next. I am assuming that out of the billions of people who have ever lived, a few will probably commit this sin. I can elaborate if you'd like me to. I can't possibly say for sure, but I believe it's entirely within the realm of reason.
Sin is debt. If you have a sin which God will not forgive then it only means you must pay the debt. Consider the parable of the unforgiving servant. That servant was to be tormented only UNTILL the debt was paid. Anything that has to do with ETERNAL Torment is just not scriptural.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,050,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
trettep,

I se you finally came to your senses and realized your error and that God is forcing...ie...creating robots for His glory. The core of your interpetive error. God doesn't force anyone....we surrender....freely.
Sciotamicks, your talking to the wrong person. I don't believe in co-savior theology. If I'm to be saved it is 100 percent His work. Now if I could claim that I must first come to Him before He would come to me then obviously God couldn't get 100 percent of the credit.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Finn, we do not believe that any ritual will save unbelievers. Every individual must choose for himself what he wants to believe and whether he wants to repent of his sins. What we do is offer baptism by proxy for those who did not have the opportunity to receive it during their lifetimes, since we believe baptism is required of all human beings. If you would like a more in-depth answer, please read my posts #156 and #158 in the Are denominations in keeping with God's will? thread. Then, if you have further questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
I worked in the same room with a mormon for several years and he already told me all about the ritual. Pretty creepy if you asked me.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times
What is it about christianity that it wants to Limit what He is able to do ?, Psalm 78 says it's rebellion

But they continued to sin against him, rebelling in the desert against the Most High.They spoke against God, saying, "Can God spread a table in the desert? Psalm 78 verse 17 and 19

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I worked in the same room with a mormon for several years and he already told me all about the ritual. Pretty creepy if you asked me.
Why did you ask me the question if you already knew the answer?

Baptisms on behalf of the dead were practiced anciently. Paul certainly didn't find them to be "creepy." I can't imagine what you could possibly find "creepy" about them. Would you mind elaborating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity