Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus preached on the rules and heart and were to find Holy Spirit, plus on end times and the acceptable year of the Lord which is HIS final Judgement........ Where Apostle Paul taught on Church government over believers , faith, love, relationship with the Lord Jesus..... The largest diffrence I see is the acceptance of Judging the world and christians that Paul told us to do,: where Jesus said about Holy Spirit ``If you Judge you will be judged if you condemn you will be condemned`` So we can find that there is NO condemnation and judgement from Holy Spirit , even though Holy Spirit will Judge our faith and any sin so that we can be cleaned through HIS power.. If we go around Judging and condemning people the accuser the devil will be there leading us on. not Holy Spirit...... But not all Pauls teaching are wrong they are mostly accepted Words of God and will bring Life if you confess them in your Prayers and Jesus Spirit will acknowledge these word and Move on the Lords will and bless
Maybe Paul did write some of the NT, but not all that is attributed to him. For example, I don't think any man could very easily have written Romans - it is just too deep and amazing in the breadth and depth of its content. But there may have been "epistles" attributed to Paul that were not his. I like what Ans57 said about how she weighs Paul's writings against other parts of the bible. I have said (without fear) that I do not accept that the B-I-B-L-E as a book is "the infallible, inerrant word of God" I believe Jesus Christ is the living Word and cannot be reduced to a finite text. However, I do not major on or concern myself greatly with textual criticism because it opens up a whole new Pandora's box for debate and division within the body of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I believe the apostles were given "higher" understandings then what Jesus taught in the gospels. Jesus had many things to say to them but couldn't because they weren't ready to hear them until they had been empowered from on High.

So the apostles' understanding grew, Paul was given many revelations of God which you cannot find in the gospels.
Just as Jesus brought higher understandings than the OT did, so Paul and the early church received still Higher understandings taught DIRECTLY to them by the Holy Ghost (Jesus).

I fear that most of Christendom today does not believe that there are Higher things to hear..
And those who don't believe there is more to hear, how can they hear anything??

Blessings,
brian
Good point. And as I understand it, the RCC does not really want their members to study things for themselves or to particularly understand the deep things of God - why else would they say "the mass" in Latin to this day ( a dead language) and teach their members that the Pope is the actual 'Vicar of Christ' and infallible/unquestionable in matters of faith.
(Sorry Catholics, but I needed to say that within this discussion). Both Jesus and Paul taught that the Holy Spirit would be our teacher. Also, the gospels say that there were many things also that Jesus did which were not recorded in the books that were testifying of him and that they were so numerous that all the books in the whole world could not contain them. I take that to mean all the things he has done since the beginning thru the end (which are already done in the Spirit) since God knows the beginning from the end.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 AM

33,311 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
So much contradictions between Pauls teachings and that of Jesus in the bible.
There aren't any contradictions between what Jesus and Paul taught. If you don't understand dispensations, you can't understand the Bible.

Jesus was born, lived, died, resurrected, and ascended all in the dispensation of Israel. His messages were not directed toward the church-age which would not begin until the day of Pentecost fifty days after His resurrection. Jesus' teachings centered primarily on the kingdom which He had offered to Israel and which He would have instituted immediately after going to the Cross if Israel as a whole had not rejected Him as the Messiah.

Since Israel did reject Him as Messiah as He had always known that they would, The kingdom was postphoned until after His return at the end of the tribulation. Because of Israel's rejection of Christ, the dispensation of Israel was temporarily put on hold and a new dispensation called the church was introduced into human history. And the doctrines which pertain to the church-age were given to the Apostles and particularly to Paul to teach. And that is what the New Testament Epistles are about. They present the doctrines that concern our dispensation.

Paul's teachings are given full backing by Peter who attributed to Paul's letter's the same authority as the Old Testament Scriptures.

2 Peter 3:15 'and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16] as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

God the Holy Spirit communicated to Paul and the other Apostle's the church-age doctrines which they then set down in writing and taught to the churches.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,577,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Because Jesus was THE Christ, and Paul was a church administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
I Agree the Church has very little to do with the Christ and trough following church teachings the message of Christ has been perverted and corrupted into intolerance and bigotry and that perversion and corruption continues today espacially amongst fundamentalist and evanglical churches that are primarly following Paul and his epistles.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,577,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Maybe Paul did write some of the NT, but not all that is attributed to him. For example, I don't think any man could very easily have written Romans - it is just too deep and amazing in the breadth and depth of its content. But there may have been "epistles" attributed to Paul that were not his. I like what Ans57 said about how she weighs Paul's writings against other parts of the bible. I have said (without fear) that I do not accept that the B-I-B-L-E as a book is "the infallible, inerrant word of God" I believe Jesus Christ is the living Word and cannot be reduced to a finite text. However, I do not major on or concern myself greatly with textual criticism because it opens up a whole new Pandora's box for debate and division within the body of Christ.
Thank you Heartsong...not just Paul's... In all cases (be it the law) or otherwise...two or three witnesses (the more the better) are needed to bind the truth!

When more than one person/Prophet who lived thousands of years apart...come up with almost word per word prophecy (literally or figuratively), i.e. Psalm 22, Isaiah 53, Psalm 69, and the four Gospels speak of how Jesus would die for our sin...I believe it is of God.

Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

Jesus IS the word of God...

Blessings...

Last edited by ans57; 08-29-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity