Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,458,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
While the Bible has a lot of wisdom in it, it also has a lot of passages that are a product of the times. During Biblical times, it was commonplace for entire cities and towns to be raided, all the men killed, and all the women raped and taken by the invaders. Luckily, while there is still a lot of violence today, and while wars still go on, people at the very least realize the cruelty and awful repercussions of such violence, and at the most, don't commit those levels of violence at all.

During Biblical times, the standards for "punishment fitting the crime" were much more severe. It may have been considered normal to kill someone because they talked back to their parents. But these aren't those times now. We have a much better understanding of human nature now compared to then. When looking at the moral zeitgeist of those times, why do people want to follow verses that abide by that level of cruelty and violence? Don't we long to be more peaceful, better? Don't we long to be more loving?
You just proved my point, many people don't understand the Bible.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,596,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Totally agree INLC

To "abandon natural relations" (male\female) is a choice.
They didn't "abandon" a thing, they never were heterosexual, as they matured and their sexuality developed as part of their normal growth cycle, and it was different than yours.

It is no different than the fact some people develop as right handed, and others develop as left handed.

Being gay is no more a sin as being left handed, red headed, green eyed, or a midget or dwarf. It is all how we develop. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-01-2010 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,242,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Dew, that`s how you choose to interperate it but if you knew what the Bible was actually saying, you would not see it as hate.
I feel like that is what people say to justify their prejudice. I will certainly not try to understand the bible the same way that you do so that I, too, can look poorly on a whole group of people. Most of my friends and several of my family members are gay. If there is a God -there is absolutely no way that he would not love them just exactly as they are. They are some of the most caring, understanding, supportive people I know. I'm not saying all homosexuals are - people are people. There are good and bad in every race, creed, and sexual preference. However, my friends and family are all wonderful people. I see them for who they are. I see their good hearts. I see their kind souls. I see everything that I need to see.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You just proved my point, many people don't understand the Bible.
So, if I understood the Bible - I would be just as intolerant and prejudiced? No thank you.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,993,861 times
Ashville, That`s funny that you call it hatred because a family member of mine is gay and they know that we don`t hate them... so that`s YOUR issue or anyone else who see it that way.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They didn't "abandon" a thing, they never were heterosexual, as they matured and their sexuality developed as part of their normal growth cycle, and it was different than yours.

It is no different than the fact some people develop as right handed, and others develop as left handed.

Being gay is no more a sin as being left handed, red headed, green eyed, or a midget or dwarf. It is all how we develop. To label it a sin is the ultimate in hatred and intolerance, funny how it almost always seem to come from those that profess they believe in a loving god.Moderator cut: edited
Moderator cut: edited

"They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity.
They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice.
They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil;
they disobey their parents;
they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless."

Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death,
they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."

Romans 1:29-32

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-01-2010 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: your reference to a deleted part of the quoted post is now orphaned

Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,458,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, if I understood the Bible - I would be just as intolerant and prejudiced? No thank you.
Just for the record I do not hate gay people, I actually have a good friend who is gay.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,533,648 times
Quote:
Just for the record I do not hate gay people, I actually have a good friend who is gay.
Also for the record my brother in law is gay.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Then how can you think it's a choice? How can you not love them the way that they are? How can you not want them to be as happy as they can be? I just don't understand. One of my best friends has been with his boyfriend for 3 years. When I see them together, when I see the love between them - I can not for one second believe that there is anything wrong or sinful about them.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,993,861 times
You can love someone but not agree with their choices. If you have kids you`ll understand what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity