Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
(Not that June would know, but for what it's in all likelihood little worth....)

Somehow, June suspects that it isn't so much a matter of getting on that train, in the sense that one buys a ticket at a train station and embarks for the journey/ride. Rather, June suspects that it is far more realistic to envision those who get on the train, but realistically at times disembark. Those who disembark may do so for any number of reasons: Feeling that they need to engage in whatever activity (either good or bad) only to re-embark upon the train. No doubt many could feel that they have been inadvertantly pushed off the train, only to await the train returning, coming back for them once again. Some may feel that they are, in fact, on that train, but are only listening to the sound of the wheels and the tracks underneath them, without ever truly knowing or hearing otherwise...Some may feel that they have, in fact, been unknowingly run over by that train, when in fact, the reality is the train at some future point will return, for them.

Trains, much like your analogy, are funny things. There are many cars.

Many cars. To any train.

In other words, it's a process, as opposed to a one-way, fast-tracked journey. To think otherwise would only undermind the intent of the power behind the train.

Analogously written by June, but one who knows what she means in her analogous response...

Take gentle care.

June says: Some may feel that they have, in fact, been unknowingly run over by that train,

Herefornow: Nodding head vigorously

June continues: when in fact, the reality is the train at some future point will return, for them.

Herefornow:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Default Getting on the Train is "NOT" free:)

I'd much rather walk (hey, it's "FREE"...) when presented with all the posers/speculations above. Walking may take longer...but if I trudge on...I would certainly get to where I'm going without fear of trains being derailed......unless I get mugged......like like the man helped by the Samaritan...

Just a friendly banter to lighten up the air...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Aren't Jesus' disciples required to deny themselves? Yes, they are -- and it comes through Jesus' grace.

2 Corinthians 12
[9] And he [Jesus] said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Yes of course we are saved by the grace of God, but is there nothing required of us? Its easy for me to see that we have to hold up our end of the bargain. Meaning we cannot "earn" our way into heaven, but we are expected to keep the commandments and help our fellow man, is that not works? Throughout the scriptures we are taught, we are given examples of what we must do. There is no free pass. We are saved by grace after all we can do.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Be careful of which train you ride

YouTube - Long Black Train by Josh Turner

Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes of course we are saved by the grace of God, but is there nothing required of us? Its easy for me to see that we have to hold up our end of the bargain. Meaning we cannot "earn" our way into heaven, but we are expected to keep the commandments and help our fellow man, is that not works? Throughout the scriptures we are taught, we are given examples of what we must do. There is no free pass. We are saved by grace after all we can do.
No, not after all we can do. We are saved by grace. Period. Jesus is 100% Savior...not a co-savior along with "all we can do"

Grace is unmerited favor!!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
First line is good, second line is bad.

The way Jesus taught it was...

Getting on the train for free,
'cause Jesus paid the price for me

For salvation has no price,
'cause Jesus is my sacrifice.
I like this a lot

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
No, not after all we can do. We are saved by grace. Period. Jesus is 100% Savior...not a co-savior along with "all we can do"

You're misunderstanding the phrase, "after all we can do." This is just another way of saying, "apart from all we can do." You are absolutely right that Jesus is 100% Savior and not a "co-Savior" (whatever that might be ). There is not one person who has ever lived who could be saved without Jesus Christ having paid the price for his sins. We are saved by grace, through our faith in Christ. But having faith in Christ means being faithful to Christ.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

It is an unmerited favor, but that doesnt mean the Lord doesnt require good works of us. Christs grace is sufficient for all mankind, yes, but what does the Lord ask of you? Are we to ignore the rest of the scriptures? It has nothing to do with us. You're missing the point completely, they go hand in hand...

James 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Last edited by slo1318; 09-14-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Be careful of which train you ride

YouTube - Long Black Train by Josh Turner
Miss Blue...thanks for sharing the video...definitely a poser!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think this anything to do with denying ourselves. Of course I believe that's necessary. Aren't we required to be obedient, too? Jesus said, "Ye shall abide in my love if ye keep my commandments." (See John 15:10.) Why didn't He say we will abide in His love "if we believe in Him"?

Hebrews 5:9 also reminds us that Jesus became the author of salvation "unto all them that obey Him." Why doesn't it say instead, "unto all them that believe in Him."

Just some food for thought. I realize that the role of works in our eternal destiny is a hotly debated topic, but you've got to admit that these passages (as well as others I might have posted) imply that our faithfulness does matter to Him.
I think you misunderstood my post. The Bible teaches that a real believer will bring forth fruit. Can the believer take credit for that fruit as if they came from his/her own works? No. We are His workmanship. All the glory goes to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity