Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
here's the scenario:
a young girl (or boy), 14 years old, goes with friends to a Christian concert. She/he becomes a Christian, and is now "on fire" for the Lord. (there's that word "fire" again.. )

At home, her parents don't like the change they see in her: always reading the Bible, talking about Jesus, etc..
One day, she tells them that she wants to become a member of her friends' church, but they tell her that she cannot, not until she is 18, and can live on her own.

Should she ignore her parents decision, and go to the church, in order to please God?
Or should she "honor her mother and father" and not frequent the church as they told her?

Blessings!
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
here's the scenario:
a young girl (or boy), 14 years old, goes with friends to a Christian concert. She/he becomes a Christian, and is now "on fire" for the Lord. (there's that word "fire" again.. )

At home, her parents don't like the change they see in her: always reading the Bible, talking about Jesus, etc..
One day, she tells them that she wants to become a member of her friends' church, but they tell her that she cannot, not until she is 18, and can live on her own.

Should she ignore her parents decision, and go to the church, in order to please God?
Or should she "honor her mother and father" and not frequent the church as they told her?

Blessings!
brian
She should honor her parents request. They didn't say she couldn't read her bible, nor talk about Jesus.
I believe a newborn child of the Lord should ONLY seek Him further. So, I would have to agree with the parents. IMO.
How does anyone know that God isn't already doing the leading, using the parents to will what He wills?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
Quote:
Why would the parents not like the change they see?
Is she reading the Bible when she should be doing her homework?
Is she ignoring/neglecting ALL of her previous interests?
If so, perhaps they fear she has become brainwashed or fanatical.
If they are unsaved and she talks about Jesus to them, and they reject her talking, then she should stop casting her pearls before swine, and wasting her time. Perhaps they feel she has gone overboard with the constant chatter. Really why would she continue talking about Jesus to her parents, if they don't want to hear it?
This scenario doesn't make sense, it sounds concocted without relevance to reality.

Quote:
What reasons would they have to not allow her to go?
How would a 14-year-old get there, unless she rides with her friend, or the church is within walking distance?
In any case, if her parents object, then I would say it would be best for her go obey them, and read her Bible in her room. She can still maintain her salvation and grow in the Lord, while obeying her parents. She can fellowship with like-minded teens at school and on the internet.

But this scenario doesn't sound real to me anyway, as I can't imagine most parents objecting to their child's attending church.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
But this scenario doesn't sound real to me anyway, as I can't imagine most parents objecting to their child's attending church.
Most being the operative word.

You need to spend some time in the atheist forum.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Before you turn to atheist bashing - I just want to say that I have seen something similiar to this happen in real life many times. I had a friend in highschool who was raised Buddhist who became Christian in highschool and her parents had a real hard time with it. I've know a Christian who became a Mormon agains her parents wishes. My best friend was raised Catholic and is becoming Jewish and her family is irate - although in this case my friend is already an adult.
I think that many parents would like their children to believe what they do - and might therefore take issue with their children converting to some other faith - whether it be Christianity if the are atheists/agnostics, Islam if they are Christians, Judaism if they are Catholic, or anything besides what they are whatever they happen to be.
I think children should do their best to follow their parents wishes while they are living in their house as long as the parents give them love, food, shelter, etc. If parents are beating their children or won't allow them to talk to people of other ethnicities or faiths - well, that is a different story.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone,
here's the scenario:

Blessings!
brian
Your parents are the ones responsible and until you are 18 live under their roof and are subject to their rules.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Most being the operative word.

You need to spend some time in the atheist forum.
Moderator cut: deleted

I raised two kids, and both of them were allowed to choose for themselves whether or not they wanted to attend church. They were raised with the knowledge that they were allowed to make their own choices in the matter, and I wouldn't criticize them for it.

As far as the OP goes, the child should obey the parents unless the parents are harming the kid in some way.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-17-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 02:01 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
[/mod] orphaned [/mod]

I raised two kids, and both of them were allowed to choose for themselves whether or not they wanted to attend church. They were raised with the knowledge that they were allowed to make their own choices in the matter, and I wouldn't criticize them for it.

As far as the OP goes, the child should obey the parents unless the parents are harming the kid in some way.
Moderator cut: orphaned reference

I sent my kids to church and let them decide for themselves. All are atheist now, I didn't indoctrinate them early so they were able to decide without influence and I didn't talk to them about being an atheist.. My son was asked to leave for asking to many questions!

Last edited by june 7th; 09-17-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yep they love the bashing of us atheists.

I sent my kids to church and let them decide for themselves. All are atheist now, I didn't indoctrinate them early so they were able to decide without influence and I didn't talk to them about being an atheist.. My son was asked to leave for asking to many questions!
My mother-in-law took my kids to church from time to time, and they occasionally went with neighbor friends. My daughter liked getting dressed up and going with her friend, so she probably went once a month or so. My son thought it was dead boring, and only went a couple times, then had no interest any longer.

However, now that they're grown, neither attend church anymore. My son is an atheist, and my daughter is more what I'd call a modern pagan because she's a tree-hugging greenie anthropomorphizing animal lover who thinks it's possible there's a deity, and if it is she hopes it's Mother Earth.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
My mother-in-law took my kids to church from time to time, and they occasionally went with neighbor friends. My daughter liked getting dressed up and going with her friend, so she probably went once a month or so. My son thought it was dead boring, and only went a couple times, then had no interest any longer.

However, now that they're grown, neither attend church anymore. My son is an atheist, and my daughter is more what I'd call a modern pagan because she's a tree-hugging greenie anthropomorphizing animal lover who thinks it's possible there's a deity, and if it is she hopes it's Mother Earth.
Funny. My husbands family is in Norway and are semi practicing pagans, old world though. I have been there a few times and been to a couple celebrations,( kinda expected Viking Helmets) and I loved their Christmas. I am on her side, if there is a deity, I hope it is Mother Earth!!LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity