Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:03 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

There is a thread flosting around here where a person stated that they believe that even if god came down and slapped [atheists] in the face, they will still find reason to deny him (him = their idea of god). I know this is NOT the case with all believers, but there are quite a few of them out there who I believe REALLY believe that unbelievers are just being spiteful in the face of some kind insurmountable evidence of their god that we just absolutely refuse to accept. They believe our reasons are:

1. Hate being in church all day
2. Want to party and do all the "fun" stuff their god condemns
3. Want to live immoral lives without fear of [eternal] consequence
4. Don't want to make grandma happy
5. Just want to **** off people who just wants us to meet their Jesus

While I know this might be the case for some people, I don't ANY of these are the primary reasons clear cut, thinking, analytical unbelievers fall back on as to why they are not Christians/Muslims and so on. As we are ALL born atheists, some people just never come across solid, concrete proof to believe in a god OR see no reason to believe in a particular god. Others may have believed for one reason or another, but when critically analyzed subjectively, they concluded otherwise in the end.

This notion that all unbelievers (notably atheists) are just nothing more than immoral, spiteful, hateful jerks who worship Satan, prance around naked in the woods sacrificing babies and have not one moral bone in their body is so ridiculous it is not even funny.

I am sure every atheist will tell you that if some god DID actually step out from whatever rock he or she is hiding under and revealed him/herself and did JUST some of the amazing things attributed to them in various myths and holy books, they would just as easily believe. No, not reveal them to just a solitary soul or a few folks in some backwater country a billion years ago and then go on to play peek-a-boo, exisiting only in the magical realm of "faith," there would hardly be such a thing as an atheist on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am sure every atheist will tell you that if some god DID actually step out from whatever rock he or she is hiding under and revealed him/herself and did JUST some of the amazing things attributed to them in various myths and holy books, they would just as easily believe. No, not reveal them to just a solitary soul or a few folks in some backwater country a billion years ago and then go on to play peek-a-boo, exisiting only in the magical realm of "faith," there would hardly be such a thing as an atheist on the planet.
I've given an open invitation, no expiration date, to be slapped upside the head by any deity that would like for me to be aware of their existence. So far, no takers.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,837,906 times
So neither of you would accept an illness or a visit from a Christian as a slap up side the head? What about a death of someone close to you would that be enough? What about the loss of everything you own? Loss of mobility? There are many ways God reaches out to you and in this world we are so complacient that we do not see Gods hand in anything while Christians see Gods hand in everything.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM

465 posts, read 528,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
So neither of you would accept an illness or a visit from a Christian as a slap up side the head? What about a death of someone close to you would that be enough? What about the loss of everything you own? Loss of mobility? There are many ways God reaches out to you and in this world we are so complacient that we do not see Gods hand in anything while Christians see Gods hand in everything.
Christians lose family members, jobs, etc too...Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Everyone has to deal with it.

But to the OP, I can at least admit that I found praise and worship to be VERY boring. Singing the same lines in a song over and over for a half hour was

Last edited by june 7th; 09-17-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I've given an open invitation, no expiration date, to be slapped upside the head by any deity that would like for me to be aware of their existence. So far, no takers.
Yeah, me too. Seems like they just don't respond to 'ollie ollie oxen free'.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Nope, I wouldn't accept those any more than I accept that Mary appeared in a grilled cheese sandwich or Jesus appeared on the bathroom wall. If there's a god, he or she is certainly powerful enough to stop being coy, stop the pareidolia, and make sure we understand that something is a 'sign'.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Of course not! If there was no God there would still be unfortunate events of that kind. In fact I'd be more inclined to think there was no possibility of a god and not waste time praying for some help, but would take practical steps to improve the situation.

A visit from a Christian? What would they tell me that I don't see day after day on the boards? Poor logic, poor evidence, poor research and very often, remarkably, poor understanding of their own Bible.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
...while Christians see Gods hand in everything.
Oh yes, I know. I was one and I'm intimately familiar with the mindset that causes one to see God's hand in everything. Then I was forced to look critically at the whole belief system and what it is founded on. Once you've done that you may realize that what you thought you saw is what you were preconditioned to see and not necessarily based on the truth of the matter.

Personally, I do not begrudge anyone their faith in a loving God. It can be a positive thing. I certainly found it to be so in many ways. But, I'm not able to have faith in something that appears to me to be an untruth just because I want to or because it keeps me in my comfort zone.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,837,906 times
If there was no God there would be no us.

God is not being coy He is doing exactly what He said He would do and we are doing exactly what He said we would do.

Moderator cut: deleted as "inappropriate language."

Last edited by june 7th; 09-17-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
...and we are doing exactly what He said we would do.
Okay, riddle me this: if I'm doing "exactly what he said we would do" then why do you people try to convert me? According to your comment, that would mean you're trying to go against god's will, because he made me an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity