Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times

Advertisements

[quote=king's highway;15946645].

God's Justice is not man's justice.

There is Divine Justice in God's universe.

Although we may not see or understand it.

I'll give you an example:

Ancient Israel [Judah] sinned by not obeying God's Laws.

As punishment God allowed Babylon to conquer Jerusalem
and the people go into Babylonian captivity for 70 years.

Some of the people did not want to go into Babylonian captivity,
so they tried to avoid their punishment by escaping into Egypt.
So... God allowed Babylon to also conquer Egypt.

God works in mysterious ways.

Well I feel punished enough-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM

63,831 posts, read 40,118,744 times
God does not punish and He is concerned with our spiritual development . . . not our worldly or carnal. WE have Dominion on the earth by His express Will. He will help us COPE.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM

138 posts, read 181,699 times
Default Bad things happen to good people

Hello,

Your question moved me (to the OP). I have struggled with this too. But over time I've come to look back on my own life. The times I was struggling the most, I can now see, with hindsight, that I learned the most, and I grew as a person -- and as a soul.

You know what it reminds me of? And I do not mean to make fun of the seriousness of the question.

When we were kids my brothers and I played Nintendo, and we would get frustrated with hard levels. But we would acknowledge to one another that "this game wouldn't be any fun if it weren't hard!"

Not to say it's "fun" to deal with tragedy in life, but it does teach you, it strengthens you, and you are changed as a result of the hardship . . often times in beautiful ways.

I know people who lost their families in the Halocaust, and these individuals have such enormous reserves of faith . . perhaps because they themselves survived. But also their stories of others who tried to help at the risk of their own lives, are so moving, and I know strengthened their own belief in God.

Suffering is never easy, but some say it is what cements and crystalizes the states of our souls.

I try to always remember when things are hard that "That which is truly yours can never be taken from you."

peace!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:34 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
This has nothing to do with the case that you mentioned. But generally speaking about your post, people have rejected the true and living God, so why blame Him for all the tragedies in the world -- which are from sin? If people kept His Word, then many of these calamities would not exist.
So tell me then how someone like me, who rejects the existence of any gods, and thinks religion is a bunch of archaic nonsense...how is it that I don't have tragedies happening to me left and right?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So tell me then how someone like me, who rejects the existence of any gods, and thinks religion is a bunch of archaic nonsense...how is it that I don't have tragedies happening to me left and right?
Because you keep His word. By word, I mean you love and you are loved in return. Religion is not necessary. All Jesus asked was to love one another. When we do that, our path is usually a good path and we see less tragedies. From what I can tell of you on the forum, you have a good heart towards all and that reflects in your life.

I think if more people would just let go of the past and stop obsessing over things they cannot control, forgive each other, love and live only for the day, we would have a lot less obstacles in our lives.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM

138 posts, read 181,699 times
Your words are so moving. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have a question or two about God-

Why do some people just have awful things happen to them over and over? Why does God allow this while others seem to bask in luck?

Why does God allow the unspeakable to happen to people...I guess I always wonder this-I just watched the news about what happened to the CT family-

So...I want to ask
God is not a great puppet master pulling the strings and in charge of all our thoughts, deeds and the things that happen to us in this fallen world..Our trials and tribulations, and states of mind come from our fallen state, not from God..

Through His love and mercy we are forgiven from blaming our shortcomings, our tragedies, etc. on Him.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Because you keep His word. By word, I mean you love and you are loved in return. Religion is not necessary. All Jesus asked was to love one another. When we do that, our path is usually a good path and we see less tragedies. From what I can tell of you on the forum, you have a good heart towards all and that reflects in your life.

I think if more people would just let go of the past and stop obsessing over things they cannot control, forgive each other, love and live only for the day, we would have a lot less obstacles in our lives.
Interesting take on things, but I'm not surprised that it comes from you. You have a very unique outlook on things for a religious person. The world would be a much better place if all Christians had your attitude.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Let's...for just a moment...take the Creator out of the equation...and just focus on this..."LOVE" your neighbor as you love yourself...

~Do good unto your neighbor so they in return do good unto you...

We were created to inhabit this earth...when "ALL" adhere to the ^^^...earth/paradise will become heavenly indeed...this is pure logic minus "religion!"

Luke 10:28 And Jesus said, This do and you shall live!

P.S. The likes of June understood this very well...

Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity