Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This is not supposed to be a debate of any kind. I am simply looking for accurate information.

I have a small desk calendar that contains some interesting trivia every day of the year. Most of this trivia concerns odd customs, etc. from centuries ago. It seems like three-quarters of them start out by mentioning a Catholic saint who is a patron of some or other group of people. Some of them are really wild, like patron saint of washer women or patron saint of street cleaners. I know there are a lot of Catholic saints, even though I personally know the names of only a few. It seems like nowadays, though, when someone is officially made a "Saint," it's pretty big news. It's definitely not something that happens every day. I understand there are a lot of requirements, including the verification of miracles they were said to have performed. My question is, did all of these relatively unknown saints (literally hundreds of them) from centuries past become saints through this same arduous process? Or does the Church today have a higher standard when it comes to canonizing someone? And are most Catholics today knowledgable about all of these people, or just the really prominent ones?
This appears to be a good site on the subject:
The Communion of Saints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:14 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
Oakback,here's the definition: Incorrupt Bodies
I do accept the Church's doctrine that Mary was free from "decay".

I was unaware of the examples in your attachment. (fascinating)

But within the realm of reality,
to those who believe that decay is a "consequence",
and not simply a natural process.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
to become a Saint they need to have 2 miracles and it is verified by many doctors. After one
miracle they are called blessed. In lourdes where people go to pray for healing and if they are
healed this also is studied by a board of medical people even before they say that person really
was healed. There are many people now who have the title blessed because of one miracle
verified and the person they had prayed to interceed to God on there behalf.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
to become a Saint they need to have 2 miracles and it is verified by many doctors. After one
miracle they are called blessed. In lourdes where people go to pray for healing and if they are
healed this also is studied by a board of medical people even before they say that person really
was healed. There are many people now who have the title blessed because of one miracle
verified and the person they had prayed to interceed to God on there behalf.
I'm assuming you're describing the process as it exists today. My question concerned the disproportionate number of people who appear to have been accepted as "Saints" many hundreds of years ago, as opposed to the relatively few that are currently being declared to be Saints. All of the answers I received have been very helpful. I think that perhaps ancient warrior's was the most specific to my question. Thank you all.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
.....and some that were, are no longer (St Christopher)
Brief explanation:
St. Christopher - Saints & Angels - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

Old 09-25-2010, 12:49 AM

593 posts, read 890,418 times
The Catholic canonization probably had mixed standards for sainthood yet quite strict in a.d. to present day. Pope John canonization process apparently is on hold as he hasn't racked up any miracles except for a claim by a questionable lady source who believes his praying for a loved one
ended in a miraculous cure. The church realizes that many catholics are emotionally over the edge in religiosity and manifest all sorts of manufactured idolatry's and are watchful of zealots. I have found in scripture that believers in Jesus and the word are ALL saints in the eyes of God and although I respect the well intended works of Catholicism to acknowledge the great men and women of God and bestowing this honor from man, it's God who singles out the saints via those who follow His word ! (amen?!) I have no doubt that the hand picked folks the church canonized were already saints prior to all the man made prerequisites ,ceremony and religion used by this church (a good church ,but one that continues their ancient use of mediators,divinities,distracting ceremonies
that lack teaching albeit content,vain repetition (prayer to mediators as in Mariology,saints and relics,pagan-like processions and meaningless dogma) In fairness, many biblical based truths are taught,tireless work by clergy and deacons,youth and missionaries.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 09-25-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity