Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Just a few...
  • When I didn't jump
  • When I overcame depression and anger
  • When I knew my wife was "the one" and said yes to my proposal
  • When my son was born healthy, against all modern medicine's predictions
  • When my daughter took her first breath, almost 2 minutes after delivery
  • When I lost my dad -- my grandparents -- my father-in-law
Hi mams
As usual you have been able to present God's love for us in every imaginable state of our need for Him and His nearness, His companionship and His love no matter what joy, tragedy or mistakes we encounter here in this world..

(((((hugs)))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
June sends humble apologies that it has taken her this long to respond back to those who contributed to her own OP. (Some days are more hectic than others...)

June appreciates everyone's responses, and in some part, her OP arose due to the fact that she had had a conversation with a minister friend who also happens to be one of her colleagues. (Please, no fainting here, folks!) He essentially was telling June about a time in his life where he said that God didn't "speak to him" for a three year period of time....This, in turn, got June wondering that much more as regards what people's personal experience of God was all about. Little nonbeliever that she is, she found it somewhat compelling that a person (let alone an ordained minister) could both experience, and then not experience God for such a period of time...

She is also curious as to what constitutes one's "experience" of something that she, herself, can neither comprehend, nor fully relate to, as regards the various "experiences" of said God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Kind of like hearing the music before reading the "notes"
There is just something so relatable about "Oakbackian theology" that June just loves....

"Let's dance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
...when I occasionally experience transients . . .
-She hopes they smile when you experience them....

Take gentle experiential care...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,667,197 times
I wonder, is it possible that June is searching and unsure of what June is searching for? Now I'm a believer in the Creator, not in any doctoring or dogma and what makes me believe in that is what I see around me, I know science and more knowledgeable people than myself can explain why something works or how it exist but it cannot be explained as to why it is and to me that is the Creator.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

I wonder, is it possible that June is searching and unsure of what June is searching for?

Trust June: If she is "searching" for anything (and avidly so) it's a way to quit smoking!

--She has, however, for some time now, wondered what a religious person's experience of God is, such that they would be believers. Discounting what one is raised to believe in, and what their own "culture" (be it family, or church) informs them, she truly wonders what an individual's experience (independent of the above) would be....In other words, how does one "know" what one "knows" or professes to know...?

~So just stay off that roof, and worry not!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,402,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has read a lot on this forum regarding doctrine, dogma, and passages from scripture that would seem to support the existence of God. However, June has a very simple question:

Independently of what you were taught, what you read in the bible, and what you have reinforced through services or pastors every Sunday, what would you say is your experience of God? -Of God's existence?

--Sincerely asked, and wondered about...And thanks in advance.

Take gentle care.
June, I like how the way you write in this forum. It's like a third person view, but it's a first person speech. - If that make sense.

My experience with God? Hmm, this is a good question. The death of my dad. Witnessed men using my mom for money and sex. Sometimes I forgot that it happened. Perhaps I'm blocking my memories without realizing it. I viewed everyone as a treat. A lot of bitterness and anger. Eight years of grudge. That's a lot of...murder. murder. murder. lOl. Then the question became, why? Just plain o' why. I still don't understand to these days, sometimes. I mean how the heck is God suppose show Himself "Great" in tough times when it's more likely to encourage me to walk the other way, ya know? But I think He bring wounds so that He may heal us, showing His Great (and unexplainable) love. Perhaps it's more like healing in a broken heart (or soul-however you want to say it). Idk. Peace? It's tough to explain these feelings in words. I think I answer your question.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM

465 posts, read 529,048 times
Very interesting topic. It wasn't a main reason, but I did leave Christianity because I never "experienced" god. I went to a charismatic church for awhile, and while everybody else was all hyped up, I kept wondering why I didn't feel anything no matter how hard I prayed or "got sin out of my life".

I guess my question for those who have responded is, you guys have an experience that is very real to you and no one can convince you that it is not real...so why do you discount the thousands of experiences that people have in other religions? They believe what they have is real also. Could all religious experiences have merit?

ptsum above said that possibly june is still searching, and although I call myself an Agnostic now, I am always searching as well.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,047,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Very interesting topic. It wasn't a main reason, but I did leave Christianity because I never "experienced" god. I went to a charismatic church for awhile, and while everybody else was all hyped up, I kept wondering why I didn't feel anything no matter how hard I prayed or "got sin out of my life".

I guess my question for those who have responded is, you guys have an experience that is very real to you and no one can convince you that it is not real...so why do you discount the thousands of experiences that people have in other religions? They believe what they have is real also. Could all religious experiences have merit?

ptsum above said that possibly june is still searching, and although I call myself an Agnostic now, I am always searching as well.
I believe there are different ways to G-d. I didn't find G-d in Christianity, I kept looking and finally listened to what was inside of me and I realized my home was within Judaism. That is where I found G-d and my spiritual home.

Christianity is not the only answer or only truth.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I believe there are different ways to G-d. I didn't find G-d in Christianity, I kept looking and finally listened to what was inside of me and I realized my home was within Judaism. That is where I found G-d and my spiritual home.

Christianity is not the only answer or only truth.
Actually my cousin believes this and we've had some very interesting discussions on the matter.

I actually looked into Judaism at one point because I didn't actually know what they believed and I was surprised at how different it was from christianity regarding hell, heaven, etc.

Cool.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,047,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Actually my cousin believes this and we've had some very interesting discussions on the matter.

I actually looked into Judaism at one point because I didn't actually know what they believed and I was surprised at how different it was from christianity regarding hell, heaven, etc.

Cool.
Is your cousin Jewish? I know I was always interested in religion and I wanted to be part of a community. My family did Christmas and Easter and never went into a church. I was not indoctrinated in anything but I always had questions. There was a spark within me that kept me searching. I believe it was my soul and I believe I always had a Jewish soul. Once I became Jewish I was truly home.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Is your cousin Jewish?
Oh no I'm sorry, I meant that he believes that there are many paths to god.

lol I just reread my post and it did sound like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity