Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Oh no I'm sorry, I meant that he believes that there are many paths to god.

lol I just reread my post and it did sound like that.

I do believe that there are many paths to G-d. I have never accepted that there is only one way. Even when I was a child I didn't believe that. I was brought up with ethical monotheism. That is the only way I can describe what I grew up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
June, I like how the way you write in this forum. It's like a third person view, but it's a first person speech. - If that make sense.
Wow. June's gotta say that you may be the only person to feel that way!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
All living things; collectively!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 AM

138 posts, read 181,699 times
Default Thank you to the OP

I'm glad the OP asked this question. I don't adhere to any one teaching--I respect all of them, and I don't feel the need to stay in one faith tradition.

Part of the reason for this is that I do believe we are meant to "find" God, and I always think to myself: for Jewish people, what if they had not been introduced to their Holy Books, their beliefs? For Christians, the same question applies. For Hindus, for Muslems, etc. the same question applies.

Certainly God cares, above all else, that you seek to find Him, and that you seek to be kind to others, helping when you can, and not attempting to tear others down to elevate yourself. If you are a good person, and you find a unique relationship with God, certainly He wouldn't care that you don't identify as a particular religion. He would care who and what you are, and whether you shed more light, or cast more shadows, as you go about your life, here on earth.

I do respect that certain people identify very strongly as an adherent of particular faith tradition. It's just that, to my way of thinking, God does not require this of us. He is just happy when we are able to go about life in the kindest and most authentic manner you can.

Peace to everyone!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:12 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has read a lot on this forum regarding doctrine, dogma, and passages from scripture that would seem to support the existence of God. However, June has a very simple question:

Independently of what you were taught, what you read in the bible, and what you have reinforced through services or pastors every Sunday, what would you say is your experience of God? -Of God's existence?

--Sincerely asked, and wondered about...And thanks in advance.

Take gentle care.

That is very difficult to do since I was raised in a religious home and was subject to that life from birth.

With that said, I do have an experience that stands out apart from what i was told, and perhaps in the end it was all a part of the upbringing, but I simply believe it wasn't and thats all I can say.

I grew up on a Farm and was around 3 at the time. I had my first little kitten and being on the Farm I was allowed to roam around a lot more than a city kid might, the little kitten followed me everywhere.

I had gotten a bit curious and wandered into the shed where Dad had tools and such and he had a bucket of used motor oil that he kept for dipping tools such as shovels and things in to keep them from rusting. I shouldn't have been in the shed, but I was and the little kitten eager to keep up jumped up on something and it tipped and the kitten fell in the bucket of oil.

I was able to get it out and wipe it down as much as I could but it died and I knew it was all my fault, I hated myself and admittedly, even to this day I cry if I really think about it much. It was my job to look after the little guy and I failed.

No one in my life at the time was there to comfort me, to give me words, to really hold me as most people couldn't have cared less that some animal died. But apart from the "religious" upbringing I felt something come over me that told me that "Charlie" the name I gave the kitten was ok, playing and looking forward to seeing me one day.

I won't and never have claimed that I can prove that was "God" but it was far more than anyone else could do to keep me at peace. As far as I am concerned, I had a deep pain that I could not rid myself of, and no one else could. People can call it what they like, from my perspective, if there is a God, thats him.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
Music is a good analogy. Granted, some songs are really corny and some I don't get. Still, when someone loves a tune that I love too, he or she may not articulate why in the same way I would or may not love the particular things about it that I do, but I still get the love and there's a common understanding. Of that particular song or of music in general. Anyone who's lain in bed with headphones on, transported, knows the feeling. And I would never ever ever ever think my appreciation is better, clearer or more astute than someone else's. How vain that would be.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post

Music is a good analogy.

Music is an excellent analogy! ~At times it's like she hears the music, but denies the band...

(June always loved that one...)

Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have "experienced God" many many times throughout my life beginning when I was just a little girl.

I have "experienced" Him in my most joyful moments, the most beautiful things of nature. In moments of great sorrow, and moments of fear and despair the "experience" calms me.

And each time I "experience God" my faith grows a bit stronger.

I wish I could pass those experiences on to others who desire to "experience God"..But I feel that is a personal matter that one needs to first humbly and without question, without doubt, without all the wisdom of the world, open themselves to the "experiences" of God in their own lives
I understand that you believe this, but with the total vacuum of any evidence of any gods, I can only assume that your belief, 'scripted' this god you believe in, into the life scenes you referenced, be it the birth of a child or whatever, dreams for lack of a better description.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:59 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I understand that you believe this, but with the total vacuum of any evidence of any gods, I can only assume that your belief, 'scripted' this god you believe in, into the life scenes you referenced, be it the birth of a child or whatever, dreams for lack of a better description.
The more strongly self-reliant someone is . . . the fewer the opportunities for being receptive enough to experience God within. I was the quintessential self-assured lone wolf and unrepentant atheist for the first 30+ years of my life. I definitely wasn't looking for any God experiences. If it hadn't been for my zeal in wanting to perfect the meditative experience . . . I suspect I would still be like you Asheville. The God experience certainly wasn't something I expected or needed . . . but it is unmistakable. I believe it is purely a receptivity issue at the normal levels of sensitivity (no deep meditation) . . . probably explains the need for faith.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:15 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has read a lot on this forum regarding doctrine, dogma, and passages from scripture that would seem to support the existence of God. However, June has a very simple question:

Independently of what you were taught, what you read in the bible, and what you have reinforced through services or pastors every Sunday, what would you say is your experience of God? -Of God's existence?

--Sincerely asked, and wondered about...And thanks in advance.

Take gentle care.
Hey June,

I've shared this experience before but not sure when and where. Besides my trip to the mountain several months ago and what I felt then, I had an experience as a 7 year old that locked in my belief for good. I was always a very introspective child and one day I was sitting on my bed looking out the window, wondering what I would be like when I grew up. Yes, I actually remember what I was thinking about. I had my hand behind me propping myself up and all of a sudden I felt a warm touch brushing across my hand. I thought my Mother had come in the room and when I turned around no one was there. I remember feeling a chill and then warm.

I knew then that there was a God, even though I had never once doubted it to begin with. I was raised to believe in God but I feel sure as I got older I would have questioned it if it had not been for this "experience". I feel it was my guardian angel letting me know she was there. And boy, has she been there!! She really had her work cut out for her with me. I didn't imagine it or wish it or dream it. It really happened and I just think everyone needs an experience like that to seal the deal. A personal, albeit subjective, experience that helps you know that you know that you know there is a God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity