Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Spiritual discernment is a wonderful gift by the creator...it enables us to skim through and separate the wheat from the tares...this cannot be taught.

It is this "sense of certainty" that one cannot forced others to embrace...

God never intended to confuse...love God and your neighbor as yourself!

In the beginning the Creator tells us of Paradise lost and the Christ taught us that Paradise WILL be restored...this is my faith, though it may not coincide with yours...in fact, the very word He utters to a sinner before he succumbed to death...was "Today, you shall be with me in......where?

~PARADISE...

Peace!
RESPONSE:

And everyone can "discern" differently and believe their's is a "gift of God." Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 AM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Then it was kind of a waste of time for God to make a revelaiton, wasn't it?
If you assume the intent was to have unthinking robots following strict orders . . . I suppose. But if you assume children who need to learn to think for themselves and ascertain differences between good and bad on their own as their species matures . . . then it is less clear . . . isn't it?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you assume the intent was to have unthinking robots following strict orders . . . I suppose. But if you assume children who need to learn to think for themselves and ascertain differences between good and bad on their own as their species matures . . . then it is less clear . . . isn't it?
RESPONSE

If the children can think for themselves, then they don't really need a Bible to guide them, do they?

On the other hand, if they are trying to learn to think for themselves using the Bible as a guide, and the Bible is unreliable because it was seriously altered, then using it would be a waste of time, wouldn't it?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
RESPONSE

If the children can think for themselves, then they don't really need a Bible to guide them, do they?

On the other hand, if they are trying to learn to think for themselves using the Bible as a guide, and the Bible is unreliable because it was seriously altered, then using it would be a waste of time, wouldn't it?
This is absurd. Blank slates have to have alternatives placed before them to learn how to discriminate amongst them. Children have to have a basis from which to learn to further their discrimination. The childhood of a species is no different . . . just takes longer. As we evolve our understanding . . . we can detect the stupidity and primitive interpretations of our forebears using our more nuanced and knowledgeable discrimination.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
This is absurd. Blank slates have to have alternatives placed before them to learn how to discriminate amongst them. Children have to have a basis from which to learn to further their discrimination. The childhood of a species is no different . . . just takes longer. As we evolve our understanding . . . we can detect the stupidity and primitive interpretations of our forebears using our more nuanced and knowledgeable discrimination.
RESPONSE:

Then children would need a reliable Bible, wouldn't they? Not a Bible corrupted by men. Do you think God could control that?

That's the point.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
RESPONSE:

Then children would need a reliable Bible, wouldn't they? Not a Bible corrupted by men. Do you think God could control that?

That's the point.
No . . . the inconsistencies become the basis for discriminating using a more developed understanding . . . but ONLY when the species has developed the spiritual maturity to detect the inconsistencies and make the distinctions. The bible is reliable in that the truth is in it but the audience must be spiritually mature enough to find it . . by rightly dividing the word. The more primitive understandings work until the audience can detect the inconsistencies . . . not before. The problem is that men corrupted and stagnated the process with their insane beliefs in inerrancy and infallibility that are nowhere to be found in the scriptures.. . . . and were specifically denied eg. "milk and not solid food."

Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
No . . . the inconsistencies become the basis for discriminating using a more developed understanding . . . but ONLY when the species has developed the spiritual maturity to detect the inconsistencies and make the distinctions. The bible is reliable in that the truth is in it but the audience must be spiritually mature enough to find it . . by rightly dividing the word. The more primitive understandings work until the audience can detect the inconsistencies . . . not before. The problem is that men corrupted and stagnated the process with their insane beliefs in inerrancy and infallibility that are nowhere to be found in the scriptures.. . . . and were specifically denied eg. "milk and not solid food."

My compass has always been "Love God and your Neighbor as yourself" as Jesus taught and lived by. If only we could emulate this teaching...who can argue that the result would be a beautiful earth full of love and joy...in short, paradise!

Even without the "fallible" words written by primitive men...

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
RESPONSE:
Rather than claiming one can pick and choose which passages are "inspired" and which are "corrupted," isn't it a lot more ssnsible to admit tha the Bible is the writings of men rather than God?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

My compass has always been "Love God and your Neighbor as yourself" as Jesus taught and lived by. If only we could emulate this teaching...who can argue that the result would be a beautiful earth full of love and joy...in short, paradise!

Even without the "fallible" words written by primitive men...
RESPONSE:

How do you know what Jesus taught? Did he leave any writings? What we have now are writings about stories that were told about him and revised in the many retellings by nonwitnesses.

As Bonhoffer writes in A Concise History of the Catholic Church:
Words were put in the mouth of Jesus and stories told about him which although not actually history nevertheless represented what people came to believe about Jesus.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

How do you know what Jesus taught? Did he leave any writings? What we have now are writings about stories that were told about him and revised in the many retellings by nonwitnesses.

As Bonhoffer writes in A Concise History of the Catholic Church:
Words were put in the mouth of Jesus and stories told about him which although not actually history nevertheless represented what people came to believe about Jesus.
My dear man...so far...all I have seen in your posts are...are why and how...It reminds me of my grandkids...with their never ending questions of why...

However...you are an adult...yes? I would like to see a glimpse of "reason" as to what your stance in the issue is...and why the vehement denial...even when I gave my counter in the most basic method there is...taking God and scripture out of the equation:

When we treat people with respect and love as we want them to do to us...This earth that WE live in...would be a wonderful world indeed.

Don't you agree...??? And by the way...I don't adhere to any "organized religion"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity