Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times

Advertisements

Galatians 2:11-21
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray. When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.
"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Peter was a coward and a racist ... His hypocrisy was a sin, and his sin caused others to sin also. He caused his brothers in Christ who were Jews to stumble in the same way he stumbled.

And all this happened long after the apostles received the holy spirit.

Paul clearly spells it out when he says, "It becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners" ...

Those who teach that "True Christians" never sin are hypocrites like the pharisees, and the scriptures clearly show that that even spirit filled Christians like the cowardly, bigoted, and hypocritical apostle Peter sin ... And he knew it was wrong, but being the coward that he was(as he also denied Christ 3 times because of his cowardice), he did it anyway.

Peace ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 PM

42 posts, read 44,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray. When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.
"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Peter was a coward and a racist ... His hypocrisy was a sin, and his sin caused others to sin also. He caused his brothers in Christ who were Jews to stumble in the same way he stumbled.

Paul clearly spells it out when he says, "It becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners" ...

Those who teach that "True Christians" never sin are hypocrites like the pharisees, and the scriptures clearly show that that even spirit filled Christians like the cowardly, bigoted, and hypocritical apostle Peter sin ... And he knew it was wrong, but being the coward that he was(as he also denied Christ 3 times because of his cowardice), he did it anyway.

Peace ...

Moderator cut: attackIt's impossible for us saints to sin once all our genetic sins have been changed by God. There's no power left to make us sin.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-25-2010 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: attack the idea/not the poster

Old 09-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoiceofgod View Post
Moderator cut: editWhy are you spreading lies about my brothers? It's impossible for us saints to sin once all our genetic sins have been changed by God. There's no power left to make us sin.

It is the book of Galatians Moderator cut: delete about the the apostles Peter and Barnabas. I am merely quoting the scriptures and explaining them.

Moderator cut: delete

Peace ...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: use reportfunctionfor trollish behavior

Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

Peace ...
Here is an interesting study about the above scriptures and the sin of Peter ...

http://www.swartzcreek.net/assets/sermons/Peter5.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-25-2010, 08:24 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
Quote:
How can words in a book spread lies? It's the interpreter of the scriptures who spreads lies? If you can't interpret the scriptures with the truth of God, then you shouldn't be reading the Bible at all.
reading it is fine. teaching it is a whole other matter.

let us worry about the log in our eyes, instead of pointing out the mote in others.

"an eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind".- Gandhi

Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,165 times
Yes, I absolutely do sin every single day and I wish I didn't. I don't know anyone who doesn't sin. If you meet one of them let me know.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I am reopening this thread with caution..Please remain on topic.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-25-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks miss Blue ...

Peace ...

Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 PM

33,264 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: attackIt's impossible for us saints to sin once all our genetic sins have been changed by God. There's no power left to make us sin.
To the contrary. See following thread which was originally meant to be a post on this thread but since the thread was closed when I tried to submit it, I made it a thread of its own.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-believer.html

It is the old sin nature which is genetic. And to it is imputed Adam's original sin. All personal sin comes from our volition in response to temptation from the sin nature, and from the world - Satan's cosmic system. In rare cases, Satan will tempt certain people directly. But Satan can only be in one place at a time, and most people aren't worth Satan bothering with. He leaves that to the fallen angels who follow him and to his cosmic system.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:34 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times
Default The Spirit descends and lifts..

Hi Ironmaw,
you're correct, Peter made many mistakes.
Paul also called the high priest a whitewashed wall, and, while there may have been "truth" in his statement, he was attacking. And attacking is not of the Spirit of God, because God is Love.

The flesh of man does not want God to rule it. It is the conflict as old as Adam!
Yet when we see the flesh being put under the Spirit, we find the peace of God. And that inner man, Christ, is who we must listen to.
I do not say I do not sin; however, I can testify to you today, I lie not, that since I have seen Christ in me, the power of sin has been much defeated.

He is our Peace. He saves. He is the Word, in our hearts and in our mouths.

Blessings!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity