Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible does not imply that, but evil people impose their evil ideas over the holy bible to make it imply the evil in their own heart.

Sterile heterosexuals who marry follow the marrige formula given by God in the book of Genesis. It is God who can close or open the womb, to make one sterile or fertile. Abraham and Sarah did not have a child until Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90. Long after the time of life. But God was faithful to his promise. So too any couple who is sterile can wait upon God, and if they do not have children ever they have not sinned. Homosexuality IS a sin!
I'm just thinking about all the sterile couples who despite their devotion to God are...still sterile. It kind of reminds me of the Christians who tell me I will see and hear again when I accept Jesus into my heart. Then I ask them why my devout Christian deaf-blind friends are still deaf-blind. It usually crushes their whole theory.

Don't make promises you can't keep. Even if it is possible, leave it to God to make the promise and follow through.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
To engage in homosexual acts is a choice even if you believe you do have an unchosen sexual orientation. And as such if one believes they have such a sexual orientation then they need to refrane from homosexual acts because God's model that He uses to communicate His nature and will is based upon a heterosexual relationship if that said person wants to follow Christ.
Doesn't anyone realize how unreasonable of a request that is on God's part? Never have sex, ever, even if you totally love each other. How many heterosexuals would be willing to follow that law if God had told them they can never have sex?

I would sincerely hope that God is more reasonable than that.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:05 PM

223 posts, read 268,969 times
Nim, bottom line is, if a God is that cruel and is going to stack the deck that far against certain people for wants and desires that he gave them, when he didn't give them to other people, then he's not worthy of worship. Fortunately I don't believe for a second that God is that cruel, twisted, sadistic, or that desirous that people should be set up to fail.

What bugs me the most is that most Christians ignore something patently ridiculous. Any persistant sin, is a sin. Homosexuality (if it even is a sin) is no worse than any other sin. Yet every week you see fat people going into church. They obviously intake more calories than they consume, and they clearly don't exercize enough, and they're clearly gluttenous. Their persistant eating is a sin, and yet you don't see campaigns against them, or people unable to stomach them in a church setting. So why homosexuality? Why is that the worst of all sins when it isn't presented as such in the Bible? The reason is, archaic, ignorant, intolerant drivel disguised as good doctrine. It's all just fundamentalist drivel and it belongs in the dark ages with most of that ridiculous doctrine.

Personally I hope the rapture happens, just so the combined IQ of the earth goes up 50%. I'd rather burn for an eternity than kiss up to a God that willfully condemns people for the simple act of falling in love with, and wanting to express physically that love with someone of the same sex.

As I said though, I doubt that any God worthy of worship is as self nullifying as the groups that so willfully abuse his name in the interests of their own ignorance and prejudice.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well, it is an "issue" or else we wouldn't be discussing it. I've already stated that I don't know where I stand because of scripture....I would have to ignore it completely to say yes, it's ok. I'm still working on reconciling it somehow. All I know is that I have never discriminated against or disliked any gay person I've ever known, and I've known quite a few.

I never felt "weird" or uncomfortable around them, quite the opposite actually. I've never even had a discussion with a gay person about their lifestyle possibly being "wrong", according to scripture. Was the person who wrote those scriptures homophobic? Is, as it appears to be in another area of the Bible, a monogamous loving homosexual relationship just as acceptable as a heterosexual relationship? These are things that I haven't been able to reconcile yet. It in no way affects anyone else because I do not treat anyone differently in any way simply because of their attractions to the same sex. The only thing it affects is me, and my struggle with it.

As far as what a hermaphrodite should do....that's simple and you know as well as I do that there is nothing in the Bible about it. They should follow their heart and their attraction to whatever sex they are attracted to. And they should be given the opportunity to choose for themselves. I'm glad it's not an issue for you and I hope to get to that point myself in the very near future.

I didn't intend to mean that it is not an issue to discuss, I meant that biblically it is not the issue as a manner of what I believe it says.

I understand where you are coming from, being an ex fundy I made my strides in lock step to the religious beliefs I was accustomed to.

The bible is supposed to give everyone direction and that includes hermaphrodites. The hermaphrodite needs to be able to read scripture in a context that does not cause them to define their spiritual walk by their physical attributes. This is true for each of us.

What you said for hermaphrodites is the truth in scripture for everyone.

There is a lot of truth to be found in the bible when it does not say something.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:13 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
most christians don't even know what homosexuality IS> homosexuality is NOT a lifestyle it is NOT a choice because it's not an action. homosexuality is an unchosen sexual orientation. The question is aking to asking if black people can be Christians. For some reasons many Christians perceive homosexuality to be a sinful life choice. If you actually TALK to gay people you will discover that those are untrue lies. Gay people know the MOST in this world on what homosexuality MEANS. When somoene says they are gay they are revealing their sexual orientation. They not telling you that they've even ever had sex. When someone tells me that they're straight there is no 'morality' being inferred. They're also not even inferring that they even have ever had sex, they're revealing their sexual orientation. They're revealing an UNCHOSEN sexual orientation... a part of their born core idenity. if you think a sexual orientation is a sin it's akin to thinking a skin color is a sin. Both were equally NOT chosen. Again, this is coming from the first hand source of a gay person
What about all the gays that say that they are not born that way, and it is a choice?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
What about all the gays that say that they are not born that way, and it is a choice?
I've never met one. And I know A LOT of gays.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:21 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I've never met one. And I know A LOT of gays.
So do I. I worked with a lot and my friends have family members that are gay and they say, that it is something that they chose, and do not believe anyone who says that they can't help it.
Being born without an arm is something that you can't chose. Being born deaf is something that you can't help. You are born that way. Gay is not something that you are born.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know, right? Follow this:

Leviticus 18:22

But not this:

Leviticus 21:18-21

I've been asked not to attend a church for being gay, but I've never been asked not to attend a church for being blind or having arthritis.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure people with glasses attend church.

all you did is find a sentence in the bible and use it-do you even know what the scripture is saying? what is the paragraph refering to? what is the chapter about?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:36 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
So do I. I worked with a lot and my friends have family members that are gay and they say, that it is something that they chose, and do not believe anyone who says that they can't help it.
Being born without an arm is something that you can't chose. Being born deaf is something that you can't help. You are born that way. Gay is not something that you are born.
They chose to be attracted to the same sex? Did you choose to be attracted to the opposite sex? Pardon my disbelief but like I said, I know a lot of gays - I mean in the hundreds - and I've never met anyone who said that it was a choice. Is it a choice to act on it? Sure. It's a choice for all of us to act on our attractions. But our attractions are not a choice.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Do you have a "difficulty" with sex between heterosexual couples? Because aside from the 'naughty bits', there is absolutely NO difference between the sex a heterosexual couple has and the sex a homosexual couple has with regards to how, when and why.

You say you understand 'love', but I don't see how you could based on what you stated. Just in case you didn't know, while love and sexual pleasure CAN be separate, they can also be very much one in the same. When two people love each other very deeply, the best, and most natural way to express that love is through physical intimacy- SEX. Perhaps you aren't interested in being physically demonstrative with someone you love, but most people are- irregardless of sexual orientation. And when two people are lucky enough to share such a deep connection emotionally, I refuse to believe that the next logical step, connecting with one another physically is anything but lovely and special.

Do some people have sex just to have sex, for pleasure only without need for any deeper connection? Sure. But we all know that, again, that's something that certainly isn't limited to homosexuality, so I'm really not getting your point or why you want to limit homosexuals to "love" each other, but take issue with them having physical sex...but you didn't mention being concerned about heteros who have sex just for sex. Pretty bigoted and biased if you ask me...

are you kidding me? theres no difference in how? come on now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity