Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

In light of the recent scandal surrounding popular (well, at least in black circles) tele-minister Eddie Long, his supporters have been quick to say that this is why "we need to keep our eyes on god and not man." Well this begs the question as to why are folks are even going to church in the first place when man is more audible and vbisible than any god there in the church? If man is frail, imperfect, prone to doing wrong (by biblical standards), why aren't church folks staying at home and letting god do the direct talking to them rather than listening to a mere man tell them what to do, how to believe, what to believe and what worldview they should espouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
In light of the recent scandal surrounding popular (well, at least in black circles) tele-minister Eddie Long, his supporters have been quick to say that this is why "we need to keep our eyes on god and not man." Well this begs the question as to why are folks are even going to church in the first place when man is more audible and vbisible than any god there in the church? If man is frail, imperfect, prone to doing wrong (by biblical standards), why aren't church folks staying at home and letting god do the direct talking to them rather than listening to a mere man tell them what to do, how to believe, what to believe and what worldview they should espouse?
I agree...what you have are the false teachings of Modern Christianity! And herein lies the problem! People have been taught lie upon lie upon lie upon lie.....and it is a shame. The lies have been imbedded so deeply, for so long now.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Going to church for most folks has been the norm and so they feel that if they don't go to church then they are just horrible people. It's an ingrain belief and most don't want to change or they are too afraid to change.

When anyone listens to a minister, they should ponder over it and ask GOd for guidance. This is not something that will happen in an instant if the heart and soul are not open so they tend to just let another lead them, hoping that they are right. Always remaining stagnate without discovering on theri what may or may not be true for themselves.

Religion is supposed to be personal. The connection to God is supposed to personal. We should raise our own children through love without any fear of what may be. To let go and listen to that still small voice within. I see a lot of that in the new age teachings. To meditate, to listen, to follow intuition and let God lead the way.

It takes work to just listen and with the world as busy as it is, people can't find the time to just sit in quiet even for 5 minutes. What they aren't realizing is that it does more harm than good to not persue the stillness. That is where we grow and learn. If more people would actually set aside those few minustes everyday, we would be less stressed and would see less bodily ailments caused from the stress and busyness.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:40 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
What the Idea are is keep your eyes of God means standing in faith into the Word of God believing in faith knowing the will of God and always having a renewed mind discerning truth and the move of God road in your prayers,,,,, Where as keep your eyes not on man is the lost road, a road of logic an rationalism and the general customs that man is familar to in the natural experience, alway negative and hopeless and Godless intrigues of motive, and will alway disappoint one to another through selfish interest......

Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Do you not know life as we know it has not always been this way?! We are living in the last days of the sinful earth!! False prophets, false messengers, and false believers in Christ sit in the booths of the church acting and living as if it is for Christ! But it is really for Satan! Do not be foolish and believe all the believers who sit in the Chapel of God are false! The Bible tells us this would come in the last days and this latest scandal is of NO SURPRISE to the ones who have been watching for the imminent return of the Lord and rapture of the church! Repent and be saved from the coming wrath of God and rise of the Anti-christ!!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
"we need to keep our eyes on god and not man."
I suspect Mr. Eddie would be fine with that, as long as they continue to give their hard earned money to 'the man'. After all, he's just getting by on an estimated $3,000,000 income package.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 PM

51 posts, read 98,581 times
Quote:
Read your story about you leaving the Church in another topic. Wondering what's really going on with ya? Hopefully the Lord will rekindle His Spirit within you again. Where does your hope lie now that you no longer confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuncajun View Post
Read your story about you leaving the Church in another topic. Wondering what's really going on with ya? Hopefully the Lord will rekindle His Spirit within you again. Where does your hope lie now that you no longer confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
In a better world NOW that my kids and their kids can live in. After that I die "live" happily ever dead.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
This Long seems too self-aggrandizing for me, but I can explain some of this.

I used to lean toward what you're saying at times myself, but taking Communion at home for a year due to an accident changed my mind a bit. The experience of being with fellow believers, even if you don't really like most of them or the minister, does have value for most people. I'm not sure I can explain why it does, but I suppose a part of it is that although we don't believe in Man we still care for Man and need Man. Jesus is very clear that our relationship to each other is important. If we collapse too much into ourselves there is too great a risk for falling into presumption (I'm saved, I don't need to care about others at all) or despair (I'm looking into myself so much and have become convinced I'm hopeless and damned). The sense of community keeps the person from getting isolated and weird then. So it's maybe like it being plural, our eyes instead of my eyes, is an important part of the equation. At least for many.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:02 AM

51 posts, read 98,581 times
Quote:
In a better world NOW that my kids and their kids can live in. After that I die "live" happily ever dead.
Got it. As one who has read the Bible, when did you start to think that what you read or were reading was/is false? (Not trying to preach to you, just curious as to how your current view evolved.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity